First off, the family running Midas is indeed nice and helpful. In the whole of Belize and Guatemala, I met nothing but the nicest of people. Given the money we spent, the limited time we had, and the rooms we got, however, I wanted more than good intentions.
Despite marketing itself as the best of the city and best of the jungle, my experience was the worst of the city and worst of the jungle. I loved the Amazon when I traveled to Peru, I loved the noise of nature, I loved hiking everywhere, I loved cold water showers. I was fooled by pictures of Midas; it is not jungle, it's barely a forested back yard: cabanas crowded so close together that it's impossible to feel wild, the valley view that actually faces the adjacent city, no idyllic river view on the property, new construction eating away the greenery with unfinished piping. For all that, we heard thumping bass from the city at night (not the noise I wanted), no hot water the whole week we stayed (worth it only for a real jungle, plus they promise hot water), no floor-to-ceiling bathroom walls so sounds and smells fill the whole bedroom.
With little outdoorsy experience and comparison (real jungle in Central and South America, Yosemite or just nice hiking trails at home), this might do. Experience and expectations led to disappointment. I would gladly have 1) paid less for a downtown hotel that outright advertised cold showers and city noise or 2) paid more for a real jungle resort distinctly outside the city. My frustration is not just the poor experience (I can tolerate noisy, dirty, etc. if I'm saving money) or the higher price (I gladly paid a for nice beachfront room on the cayes), it's that overall this hotel was not a good value - I paid higher prices FOR this bad experience.
- Also Known As:
- Midas Hotel
- Midas Hotel San Ignacio
- Midas Tropical Hotel
- Midas Tropical San Ignacio
- Midas Resort Belize/San Ignacio
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Midas is the only 7 acre resort down town that can offer a tranquility of nature at its best, birds tweeting their musical charm squirrels jumping from tree to tree, river flowing by the resort, iguanas resting on the limbs of the trees, and freshness of the condensing air rising as morning breaks daylight, and yet only a 7 minute walk into the town center where you can meet the unique people of Central America. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Tingo, BookIt.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Midas Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.