“No Scorpion in My Room” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in San Ignacio
Kutztown, PA
“No Scorpion in My Room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

I was with a large group and got a nice second floor room. Another member of our group was put in a rather rustic cabin at the back of the property and freaked out when she found a large scorpion in her room. She moved to another hotel. My experience wasn't so bad.
The staff had their favorites and even though I tipped I was always last to be served breakfast.
There is nice pool. At the time there was construction going on, so an afternoon nap was out of the question.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Caye Caulker, Belize
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

A couple friends from Toronto decided they wanted a Belize adventure -- and I decided that San Ignacio would be our starting point. I am so glad we chose to stay at Midas Resort because it was walking distance to town, yet we felt we were in the rainforest of Belize. The staff was excellent. Having breakfast at the hotel was perfect since we had tours every day. Our rooms were cleaned everyday. The pool was beautiful. Wi-fi was iffy in rooms, but superb in the restaurant area.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

Our stay was very relaxing with clean & private room with air conditioning, tv, private bathroom, balcony, on site eatery, friendly staff, parking and swimming pool. Would totally recommend this resort to family friends when they next visit the San Ignacio area.

Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

The grounds were nice, especially lit up at night, and the newer building they are working on by the pool is nice. The pool was cloudy (and almost too warm) and there is construction debris lying around.
We stayed in the little cabanas, but they are built very poorly. You could see daylight between the wall and window frames and other places and I'm assuming mosquitos, etc. easily made their way in. Two gals in our group had a returning, highly freaky looking frog. He made his first appearance in their toilet, and then in their shower.
There is at least a wall a/c unit in every cabana, so it helps cool it off and keep back the noise (dogs barking, roosters crowing). The bathrooms that we experienced in our cabana had nothing more than bar doors (think old western) so there was no potty privacy and it made it a little awkward.
The people who worked there were pleasant and helpful, and the breakfast was good. We had homemade waffles one morning that were delicious.
Overall they are on their way to being a great place, and keeping in mind locally what you have to compare them to, they are a good value. There are some problems, though, that they need to continue to work on.
Recommend the wings at Hodes Place restaurant a couple of doors down. Great family friendly place with a park, arcade, slot machines, ice cream, etc.

Room Tip: Stay in the newer building, not the cabanas.
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

Very nice, clean, and large accomodations. Air conditioned unit made the stay even more enjoyable. Mike, his wife, and their staff were very pleasant in helpful throughout our stay. Recommend the Midas Resort without reservation.

Room Tip: Visit the ATM
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

I'm not going to pull any punches with you. If you're like me, which means you're a solo and/or budget traveler - Midas Resort is for you. If you're looking for something more upscale and along the lines of a Comfort Inn - you just may be disappointed. For starters, I feel the need to clarify that Midas is NOT a resort and doesn't have resort-type amenities. I stayed in one of their cabins (cabana) and found it to be fairly comfortable but very basic. I also found the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Here are a few of my pointers: #1 The resort is in a perfect location. It's a safe 10-minute walk into the town of San Ignacio on level ground. That's worth mentioning because some hotels are up a hill and while it's easy to walk downhill, walking up a hill in the hot sun could be quite a downer. #2 While modern, the cabins are truly as close to nature as you can get. That means you shouldn't be surprised to find tree frogs hanging out on your door (waiting for flies) and insects inside your cabin. There were plenty of teeny insects and ants walking around - none of which bothered me and are completely out of management's control. #3 Because there were plenty of small insects around, I made it a point to ALWAYS keep my luggage zipped up. Even if I went into my bag to grab my toothbrush and would be putting it back less than five minutes later I still zipped up my bag. #4 I think the construction company did a poor job on the bathroom stall dimensions. There are no shower curtains or doors and once I got the shower going there was nothing to keep water from falling onto the bathroom floor behind me. Just lay out the floor towel and you will be fine. #5 In my cabin there was no running hot water and I got water at whichever temperature it came out of the tap. The water was NOT freezing cold and once I got the water going, it was a matter of getting my arms wet, soaping up and getting the rest of my body wet slowly. It didn't bother me but you may want to know that. After having several long, hot days I found the water to be the perfect temperature to be considered refreshing. #6 I appreciated the fact that Midas is as close to eco-friendly as possible. They gladly accepted my water bottles for recycling and left my towels and washcloths to be re-used (per my "hanging" request). I personally find it an incredible waste to wash towels every single day when I'm the only person using them for no more than three days. #7 All prices in the area are quoted in Belizean dollars but make sure you always ask. For instance, my taxi from the bus station to Midas was $5 and I readily pulled out my cash. Once I asked and was told it was in Belizean dollars I only had to pay $2.50. #8 There is definitely loud music coming from one of the establishments at night. While I was in my cabin I had the A/C going and the television playing so I was insulated from the sound. In the morning you will definitely hear birds chirping with the sunrise. If you're a light sleeper you may want to take that into consideration.

At the end of the day, I wanted to stay somewhere affordable where I felt safe and the linens were clean. Midas succeeded on all of those points. If I'm in San Ignacio and still on a budget, Midas would be my go-to place to stay.

Room Tip: Cabins MAY be tight for two people
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Plum branch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

Friendly, extremely helpful staff. They went above and beyond to insure our stay was the best it could be.Our tours and dining arrangements were organized flawlessly. My Wife and I look forward to visiting them again soon.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Midas Resort? Share your experiences!