Some friends of ours who know we love Belize suggested that we try MET in the Cayo District. We are not really horseback riding enthusiasts but we contacted them and they said they could cater to what we were looking for so we made the trip. Allow me to list my favorite things about MET:
1. The Owners. The Beavis family is simply rock solid. The founding parents are there along with son, Arran and his wife Allison. They all know simply everything about the area, the culture and local wildlife.
2. The Resort. This place is amazing, a giant thatched "cantina" roughly surrounded by thatched cababas on about 400 acres of pristine jungle. The wife and I did a couple jungle hikes on our own and spent evenings in one of the most beautiful jungle settings I have ever seen and I spend some time time in jungles. On top of that we watched sunsets while nursing tasty cocktails followed by dinners with a marvelous variety of local and international dishes.
3. The Tours. I mentioned we don't really ride horses and MET is primarily an equestrian resort. however, Arran put together a package for us that included remote waterfalls, Mayan Ruins, canoeing, cave exploring and cave tubing. I shopped their pricing around Belize and found them to be cheaper than many and competitive in everything. The trips themselves were all amazing,we probably took some the best pictures of our lives...AND, it was like a second honeymoon for my wife and me. Bonus!
All in all this was just what the doctor ordered for us. While it wasn't our initial intention it turned ut to be a very romantic trip surrounded by beautiful sites and wonderfully beautiful people. I recommend it to one and all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ecotel-certified Belize Ecotourism Jungle Lodge offering adventure vacations: horseback riding tours, hiking, bird watching, butterfly gardens, waterfalls, river caves & vehicle tours to Mayan ruins. Cabanas are made of stucco with thatched roofs, with private baths, hot water and intimate kerosene lighting. The Cantina is a restaurant and bar where you'll enjoy open-air, home-style dining and bird watching from your table. MET is one of "1,000 Places to See Before You Die" by Patricia Schultz. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Mountain Equestrian Trails Hotel San Ignacio
- Mountain Equestrian Trails Belize/San Ignacio