“MET earns the spot in '1000 Things To See Before You Die'” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Equestrian Trails

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Ignacio
Mountain Equestrian Trails
You added Mountain Equestrian Trails to your Saves list
Mile 8 Mountain Pine Ridge Rd | Cayo District, San Ignacio, Belize   |
Ranked #4 of 28 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
nashville, tn
“MET earns the spot in '1000 Things To See Before You Die'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

Some friends of ours who know we love Belize suggested that we try MET in the Cayo District. We are not really horseback riding enthusiasts but we contacted them and they said they could cater to what we were looking for so we made the trip. Allow me to list my favorite things about MET:

1. The Owners. The Beavis family is simply rock solid. The founding parents are there along with son, Arran and his wife Allison. They all know simply everything about the area, the culture and local wildlife.

2. The Resort. This place is amazing, a giant thatched "cantina" roughly surrounded by thatched cababas on about 400 acres of pristine jungle. The wife and I did a couple jungle hikes on our own and spent evenings in one of the most beautiful jungle settings I have ever seen and I spend some time time in jungles. On top of that we watched sunsets while nursing tasty cocktails followed by dinners with a marvelous variety of local and international dishes.

3. The Tours. I mentioned we don't really ride horses and MET is primarily an equestrian resort. however, Arran put together a package for us that included remote waterfalls, Mayan Ruins, canoeing, cave exploring and cave tubing. I shopped their pricing around Belize and found them to be cheaper than many and competitive in everything. The trips themselves were all amazing,we probably took some the best pictures of our lives...AND, it was like a second honeymoon for my wife and me. Bonus!

All in all this was just what the doctor ordered for us. While it wasn't our initial intention it turned ut to be a very romantic trip surrounded by beautiful sites and wonderfully beautiful people. I recommend it to one and all.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

I say if you have an opportunity to stay in these lovely chalets on this gorgeous property - take it!! You just cannot be stressed out at this place. Wonderful hosts, great food and super accommdations. We also enjoyed some horse riding, walks and a visit to the local butterfly farm.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

We are part of an equestrian group with a goal of traveling the world and riding in the most interesting locations. Our choice to stay at the MET Ranch in Belize far exceeded our expectations. The MET is situated in the jungle and run by the wonderful and gracious Bevis family. From the moment we arrived, we felt welcomed and at ease. The riding was excellent and a great way to see the countryside. Other activities include: hiking/trekking to see beautiful waterfalls and caves, canoe or kayaking, visiting Mayan ruins, or just relaxing. The guides are knowledgeable and highly trained; they can answer questions on topics from history to local flora and fauna. The food is great too. We HIGHLY recommend the MET and will return as soon as possible.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
santa monica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

MET was amazing. The family that owns and runs the resort could not have been nicer and really provide a very personalized touch. The accomodations were quant and comfortable and the food was great. The horseback riding was second to none and I will definitely visit again soon. I highly recommend MET!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

We wanted to do something exciting and adventurous for our honeymoon and decided on a two part trip in Belize. Mountain Equestrian Trails up in Cayo District and a hotel in Ambergris Quay. We loved both places, but MET was everything we wanted it to be plus so much more. We really couldn't get enough of it, wish we could have stayed longer, between the delicious food, awesome horseback trails, beautful waterfalls, mayan temple excursions, panoramic nighttime skies, zip lining, hiking, delicious home cooked meals, and exceptional staff (which on such a short trip I can consider my long time friends) - it is a honeymoon we will never forget. I definitely recommend this place and will do everything in my power to come back again with family or friends.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

I the Mayan Jungle Ride and Tikkal Extension at MET through Equitours. I was promptly met at the airport by a very welcoming Arran Bevis. We picked up two other travelers in Belize City and enjoyed a great lunch together. We drove out to MET in the Cayo area of Belize. We arrived at MET where we were greated by the other family members: Jim, Margarite, Ali and Sierra. The cabanas, views, cantinas and Bevis' family made for a relaxing arrival. Dinner was wonderful the first night and we all ate together in the relaxing cantina. The entire staff and guests are treated like family. We had a great first day ride to Barton Creek and through the Menonite village. Unfortunately, the Mennonite's were not working on Sunday but the ride was wonderful. Our room was great. One queen bed, mosquito net, bathroom with toilet, sink, shower and hot and cold running water. Nice deck to sit on. What more do you need? Yes some may think that they need electricity in their cabana, but it made the setting more serene. The cantina was always lively with music, a bar, great bird watching, guests/staff mingling all throughout the trip. We rode everyday to a new location. The horses are great, very experienced and willing. The only let down was the last day's half-day ride which ended too early. The best ride: Big Rocks fall which was a full day ride, swimming in the falls and lots of cantering. The Tikkal trip was quite rushed due to the drive time and size of the Mayan ruins. As I preferred riding over tours, I would have rather had another day of riding but it was interesting to visit Guatemala.

The lunches and dinners were diverse and delicious. We even had a great turkey dinner on Christmas day. The Bevis family joined us for most meals and shared great stories. The schedule was flexible and did not start out too early in the morning except Tikkal which needed to start early.

I would highly recommend this trip to horseback enthusiasts. Belize is a great destination with two direct flights from Newark to Belize City. Kudos to the Bevis clan for providing me with a trip I will always remember with great memories.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Jackson, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

I booked a 6 day trip at MET through Equitours. Everything went very well; from my pick up from the airport to the rooms, meals, horseback riding every day, cave tours, and the very friendly staff. The owner Jim Beavis himself picked my friend and I up at the airport and Belize City hotel and he gave us a driving tour and history lesson of Belize City and the country. Then treated us to lunch and margaritas! When arriving at MET you are very welcomed by the family dogs, manicured gardens/lawns and the horses in the pasture. Food was very very good and accommodating to different tastes. Our room was great. Two double beds, mosquito nets, bathroom with toilet, sink, shower and hot and cold running water. Nice deck to sit on. What more do you need? Yes some may think that they need electricity in their cabana, but you really will not notice it. The kerosene lanterns are authentic and romantic. The adventure is in being in the open air cantina and enjoying the people of Belize not sitting in your room. And as stated in other reviews there is solar power and generators at the cantina for charging camera batteries.
We rode everyday to a new location. The horses are great, very experienced and willing. MET has been in business with the same owners I believe since the mid 1980s and they have hospitality down. Each day was planned perfectly from the good fitting saddles, well selected horses, ride distances, trail maintenance, destinations, swimming, waterfalls, caves, farmland, shopping and lunches were all splendid and well planned. Also worth noting is how happy the staff is, it is delightful to see multiple families in this small community working together at an establishment. Genuine happiness and laughing surrounded us. I found the overall trip to be a delight, it reminded me of my childhood lazy days of summer riding my horse to swimming holes and exploring natures wonders.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Mountain Equestrian Trails? Share your experiences!