“Jungle Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Equestrian Trails

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Ignacio
Mountain Equestrian Trails
Mile 8 Mountain Pine Ridge Rd | Cayo District, San Ignacio, Belize   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 28 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
Rolling Hills Estates, California
“Jungle Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

When we booked this vacation we didn't know quite what to expect, but we were charmed and delighted with what we found. The two-plus hours drive from Belize Airport to this mountain Eden might as well have been a passage backwards in time. Dirt roads and jungle paths, hidden caves, secluded waterfalls, Majan ruins, Mennonites driving buggies, horses tied by the side of the road, pastures of Brahmin cattle, the constant chirping of birds and insects, the occasional throaty call of howler monkeys, kerosene-lamps at twilight and the complete absence of hustle-bustle. The rooms (cabanas) are simple but charming, with only wooden louvers for windows and a thatch roof overhead. The beds are covered in mosquito netting, and we were glad to have it, because at dusk the little critters come out to play. A few nights we could have used a fan in the room, except that there are no electrical outlets to plug them into...

The social hub of the resort is the Cantina -- an open-air living room/dining room, with sofas and hammocks to lounge in, a nice wet bar and two family-style dining tables. (Here, you can charge your phones and camera batteries and get an Internet signal.) Food was always good and the people in charge are very kind and friendly. I strongly recommend this resort to anyone who has an interest in horseback riding, nature and really getting away from it all.

108 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Queensbury, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

As a travel agent for A.C. Cruise and Travel I would recommend MET to anyone looking for a wonderful Eco-friendly jungle adventure. During our five days ther we felt like part of the family. Marguerite, Amy and Brad were fantastic hosts and Aaron's horseback rides are a must do. Don't miss the ride to Big Rock Falls and sample the termites on the way. Yes, they do taste like carrots! They also arranged a guide for us to go to the ATM cave. A must do and the crystalized skeletons are right in front of you. The rooms were right on the edge of the jungle and the sounds and the smells of the jungle were awesome. As for the food, it was absolutely incredibly delicious. Every night was a different treat crafted by Lily who should have her own cooking show!
What a wonderful, memorable soft jungle adventure. Can't wait to return again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
North Caicos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

I would recommend this wounderful place to everyone. They have the best of everything! Great staff, wonderful horses, beautiful suroundings, and the best food! If you want a real vacation treat, just off the beaten path, this is the place! I'm sure we will be back! My husband says it was the best birthday he has ever had!

Room Tip: We had bungalow #10 which had a great view
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Gatineau, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

I was backpacking solo in and around San Ignacio looking for natural beauty and now feel extremely lucky that someone recommended MET to me. I was made to feel like part of the crew immediately. The hospitality shown by everyone was amazing. Brad and Amy, you guys are great. Aaron, that was an awesome time at BCO/Junction.

The howler monkeys were a joy to wake up to. The grounds are nicely decorated and manicured. The cabanas are just beautiful and extremely romantic. When I walked into the cabana for the first time at night, with the oil lanterns burning and the mosquito netting covering the large bed, the way the shadows were cast and noises from jungle just outside, I thought the next time I come it will be with a girlfriend.

We had a great crew set us up with horses. The horses themselves were very well behaved and obedient. The trails were beautiful, I wish I had more time to explore the trails but from what I saw I was impressed.

The food at the restaurant is top notch. I was lucky enough to have gibnut while I was there (BBQ and pan fried). Very yummy little rodent.

I would definitely recommend MET to couples and families or anyone who enjoys horseback riding or wants an amazing place to try it out for the first time - some of the views are sensational.

Caveats: Hardcore city slickers beware. There is no power in the cabanas, and therefore no televisions or places to plug in your laptop. To me, this lent greatly to the atmosphere of MET, and would not have changed this if I could. There is wifi in the eating area which is fast and reliable for those that do need to facebook in paradise.

Oh and the stargazing was amazing. I've never seen that many stars.

Keep up the great work guys!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

Mountain Equestrian Trails- What a TREAT!

I had a surprise opportunity, engineered by my family, to visit their favorite retreat located in a lush mountaintop setting far away from the intensity of my everyday life. In a word, it was wonderful. We were warmly welcomed first by Lacy and Brad who got us settled and at dinner by Aaron, Amy and Marguerite. Our simple, comfortable, generously sized room with private bath was illuminated by gaslight, which made the setting all the more charming and inviting.

I awoke very early the next morning and enjoyed sitting outside on the patio listening to the sounds of the jungle awakening. Lots of interesting birds and small wildlife scurrying in the bushes and up the trees were just a prelude to all the interesting flora and fauna I would see and learn about later. A quiet, comfortable paradise.

My family of casual riders planned a 1/2 day horseback ride and were joined by 2 very experienced equestrians. With two highly experienced guides, Rodrigo and son; everyone had a wonderful and exciting ride. I loved walking my horse in the river and hiking to the small, but lovely waterfall. I even learned new riding skills.

Every meal was delicious, filling and lovingly prepared and presented three times a day by various chiefs including Blanca, Lacy, Alison and Aaron.

Our fabulous hosts were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful including the delightful little queen of the jungle- Sierra. It was wonderful to tuck away my electronic toys and enjoy the tranquil setting, wonderful food and great conversation. This family run resort is eco friendly, comfortable and relaxing… my idea of perfect. I loved my time at MET and look forward to a return visit and more adventures next winter…. It’s a jewel.

Placencia, Belize
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

I have just returned from a visit to MET with my husband and cousin. This is a very special spot run by a very special family in the Cayo - Pine Ridge forest area. In some ways I'd like to keep it a secret but it's hard not to share our wonderful experiences.

Everything from our accommodations in stone cabanas with thatched roofs overlooking a scenic jungle pasture, to our bountiful delicious meals and day trips were excellent. This was only my third time ever riding a horse and it was a great experience. The horses are well-trained to accommodate any type of rider, so don't let a lack of experience prevent you from visiting this gem.

There is so much to see and do in the area from canoing through caves to see Mayan relics and burial sites, to visiting butterfly farms, waterfalls, birdwatching, ziplining over the jungle canopy and visiting Mayan ruins. MET is definately one of our favourite spots in Belize.

London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

I had an amazing 7 day riding vacation at MET. The staff went out of their way to make my stay pleasant and comfortable. Horses were well trained, and my guide was great. This trip had it all - great riding, nature, archaeology, and excellent food and lodging. I would recommend it to any avid rider!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Been to Mountain Equestrian Trails? Share your experiences!