“Best vacation!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 26 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
South Carolina
“Best vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

Judy and all the fine people with duPlooy's,

My family and I would like to thank you for what has been the best vacation we have ever had. I served in the military and now travel around the globe for the government and have never stayed at a place where we have felt more at home. Your staff was attentive and genuinely interested in us while we were there and I can't imagine a finer group of people anywhere. As for thecountry of Belize, it is truly a gem! Everywhere we went, we were welcomed by your countrymen. We loved the natural beauty of Belize and certainly will return again someday and visit the areas we missed on this trip.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Belmont, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

Spent only a few days there (Wed-Sat) but enjoyed our stay. Love the valley these and the other nearby lodges are in rather than Pine Ridge based on what I saw. This is rain forest - lush, thick with trees, green. Pine Ridge, a bit sparse - just different I guess.

The place itself is a bit dated - they really need to change their dining room setting to something more open like other places have done. The bar/deck area is great, though. As a non-birder, I started getting really into it after a few morning coffees here - good expertise is always on hand.

The grounds are lovely and nearby botanical garden a nice, but simple bonus. Some rooms looked basic but we stayed in the cabanas and thought the pictures don't do them justice - very nice and great deck to just kick back and read amongst the sound of the rain forest with your hurrican lantern on. For those who have lived deep in a rain forest, this isn't that - no thunderous screeching at 5am, just pleasant occassional bird sounds and the drip-drip from the mist collecting on the trees. Note, this isn't luxury - this is very nice, comfortable and clean.

Staff was a plus - very friendly and helpful although I had to really pry to get some judgements on what options were better for my bundled trips. They may be afraid to read your mind for preferences but you really need some guidance since the options are so varied. Went to Tikal and things went smoothly. Having been to Tikal before, I would stay overnight closer if you can manage it to avoid so much driving in a day and to hear a TON of jungle sounds if you stay at the Jaguar Inn. But for variety after Tikal, this is a great spot. Didn't go to the ATM cave but wish we made time for it based on other's stories.

Two nits. Food was pretty good, but not great (except lamb burger and DuPlooy's quesadilla - awesome). Might be my American habits but thought meat portions a bit small and sauces a bit heavy handed. Still, left content every night. My biggest issue was the generator - it kills the morning tranquility on the far side of the grounds (you don't hear it from your rooms). It's a necessity but I hope they can upgrade to solar or wind to avoid needing it in the a.m. and make the birding on that end of the grounds that much more enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Bellevue, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

My family (4 adults and 2 children) traveled to Belize for 2 weeks in July. We spent half the time at DuPlooy's jungle lodge and half on the beach in Ambergris Caye. My in-laws stayed at DuPlooy's about 10 years ago and recommended it to us.

We read lots of reviews on Trip Advisor before deciding on DuPlooys, and it was everything we expected and more. We had a suite with 3 separate bedrooms (6 beds in all) and 2 bathrooms. There was a separate living room area, a screened front porch area, and hammocks on both the front and back porches to watch the wildlife. The rooms were roomy and comfortable and very nice.

The restaurant was phenomenal. The fruit and vegetables are grown on the site and they make different breads and rolls from scratch every day. Meals usually provide three choices (2 meat/fish options and one vegetarian option) and everything we had was great -- especially the pork roast and the homemade breads. We got to know our waiter and waitress really well and loved them. The kitchen also takes great care of you if you're doing a tour -- during dinner they'll ask what you plan to do the next day and will make sure they have lunch ready for you if you need to take a lunch with you.

Tours were the biggest surprise for me -- I had been worried about the location since I thought I'd have to have tours come pick us up in the hotel. Instead the hotel has a concierge now that arranges tours for you. We just told them what we wanted to do and they took care of the rest. The drivers pick you up right there at the hotel and the guides were always great. We went on several tours including tours of Tikal, Xunantunich, horse back riding to Negro Man farm, tubing down the Makal river, tubing through the caves at Jaguar Paws, canoeing through Barton Creek Caves, and the ATM caves (Aktun Tunichal Maknal or something like that).

All tours were phenomenal but I can't recommend ATM highly enough -- they say that you have to be in excellent shape to do it and the trip is physically challenging but my mother (62) and my sons (9 and 12) were able to do it with no real problem. You hike, swim, wade, climb, and otherwise make your way through the cave system where Mayan sacrifices were made. In the cave there are still remains of Mayan sacrifices and pottery. Our guide's name was Juan Carlos -- I would especially recommend JC as he was really good with my 9 year old and helped him through some of the rougher areas on the trail. JC also had an appreciateion and love for his heritage that was nice to see.

Our Tikal trip was also really unique. On the way to Tikal, our driver Roberto made a stop at his parent's house. We met his mother and father and his mother made us homemade corn tortillas (she ground the corn while we watched and cooked the tortillas on their fire) and roasted cashews that we picked in their back yard. In tikal, be sure to bring a snack since the tour is long and you don't eat lunch until about 3 pm.

I can't recommend DuPlooy's enough -- it's a perfect place to stay to see that side of the country.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

I have been to Belize more than 12 times and stayed in many different accommodations in San Ignacio area. duPlooy's continues to be one of my favorite locations for a relaxing experience and a place to see outstanding variety of flora and fauna. The location is ideal for staying put and taking advantage of local recreation and relaxation. The food is above average. The rooms are comfortable and charming. The access to pristine Macal river and river activities is ideal. The Belize Botanical Gardens is inspirational, educational, and peaceful. The night hike with a licenced tour guide is exceptional. Reading a book in a hammock is fantastic.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Halifax, Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

Great staff & service
Great food
Amazing bird watching (from your bar stool if you like)
Great spot, history & owners
Easily my favorite accomodation in Belize

• Stayed May 2009
Oxford, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

DuPlooy's hosted our wedding in February, and it was pretty much perfect. We couldn't have hoped to have everything go so smoothly if we'd had the wedding at home. I probably wouldn't recommend an event at DuPlooy's to anyone who has to have everything "just so." We did actually get exactly what we wanted and more from the entire event, but a lot of details were up in the air until the last minute. For us that was all part of the fun, but it might be stressful for people who don't roll with the punches easily. .

To give one example, we wanted a chuppah for a semi-Jewish ceremony on Xunantunich. We found out a week before the wedding that we couldn't bring any sort of synthetic structure onto the grounds. We came up with the idea of building one out of palm fronds. Some of the guys at the resort built it and it was magnificent, but we didn't really start seriously discussing how it would look until the morning before the ceremony. There were a lot of little things like that, and - as I said - every single one worked out as well or better than we had hoped, but there was a lot of uncertainty through the whole thing.

Our group included everything from highly experienced travellers and outdoor people to relatives in their 70s with limited mobility, and everyone had a wonderful time. The staff was incredibly helpful in every way. They went above and beyond in making sure that everyone got the tours they wanted. The regular meals were extremely good, and the food for the wedding was spectacular.

The grounds at DuPlooy's - including but not limited to the Botanical Garden - are beautiful. The beach on the river is a great. We all had a blast seeing the birds in the morning and the kinkajous at night. The guides are all amazingly knowledgable about the local flora, fauna, and history. There is absolutely no shortage of things to do. We stayed a week for the wedding and it wasn't long enough.

We'll definitely be some of those repeat visitors that you read so much about in the reviews. The combination of incredible service, great guides, proximity to weeks worth of things to do, beautiful grounds, and fresh food prepared very well, and great memories are far more than we could resist.

• Stayed February 2009
chapel hill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

It was great. Totally relaxing, very magical. But found the beds to be uncomfortable.

Went horse back riding to the ruins and felt I could have used more instruction since it was my first time considering the level of difficulty and length of the trail. The guides were the best! Service was great and everyone showed up at our convenience for all the activities and patiently waited while we were always late. We got a lot of one on one attention. My only wish is that I would have spent some time in San Ignacio taking pictures and mingling with the locals.

Food is good but don't order the lamb. 5 out of our group of 6 ordered it and none were happy with it. We were happy with all the other food.
Don't miss out.

Rooms were gorgeous. If it rains you won't get a ton of sleep because the rain is so loud on the roof. The other sounds in the night are great though.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
#6 of 17 in San Ignacio
4.5 of 5 stars 605 reviews

Been to duPlooy's Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!