“Beautiful!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crystal Paradise Resort

Save Saved
You added Crystal Paradise Resort to your Saves list
Crystal Paradise Resort
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Macal River near Cristo Rey Village | PO Box 126, San Ignacio, Belize   |
Ranked #8 of 28 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
NC
“Beautiful!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

First of all I a REALLY late with doing this I stayed here March of 2011.The grounds are spectacular! Saw awesome birds. I am not a bird watcher. Everything was clean. Meals were served family style and all were homemade. Jeromi and Eric are super nice. all of their family are super sweet!!! Went canoeing in a cave I can not recall the name???? It was very nice. San Ignacio is close by and a wonderful little shopping area. They also have a internet café there in town if you need it. This is like a dream vacation. The thatched roofs are nice. I was kinda skeptical at first about them but, they do not leak. We had our own private bathroom and the ladies there will do your laundry for a fee. Which was awesome!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Bethlehem, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I'm a little late with my review for Crystal Paradise Resort, but am delighted to send it along. My wife and I were guests there at the end of February 2013, and I have been on the road ever since. I am a professional Bird Photographer and was more than pleased with our surroundings, accommodations, bird encounters, and especially with our guides. I appreciate their courtesies, their knowledge, and their ability to "put me on the birds" I was seeking.

As some others have said, this is not a "Luxury" Resort, and I doubt anyone at Crystal Paradise would take exception to that. I found their rates and pricing very competative, and their willingness to change the schedule around, or add in an alternative activity was most welcomed. They do serve local foods and cuisine, and I personally enjoyed it more than this fussy eater ever expected. I have stayed at other locations in Belize, and know what I expect in terms of service and appropriate amenities. I fully intend to return to Crystal Paradise again next year.

My hat is off to the entire Tut family. Thanks again for a most enjoyable time. See you again!

-al-

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Fort Smith, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I have led birding, archaeology, and snorkeling tours to Belize for the past 5 years and Crystal Paradise Resort has been our wonderful local partner and hosts all along. The accommodations are spacious and well maintained, the location lovely, and the food is fresh and local, catered by a friendly Belizean family. Above all, the guides are experts in the natural history and archaeology of Belize.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have very mixed feelings about crystal paradise. I'll start with the positives: the rooms are basic but spacious and clean, the beds were comfortable and other than the sounds of the jungle it was pretty quiet. (That's not saying much if you get a noisy cicada near your room!). A few bugs did get into the room but that's to beexpected. The grounds are well kept and the vieweing platforms with swinging benches for bird watching are great.

The negative: the prices are about 20% higher than the ones shown on the website, meaning an already expensive trip to Caracol, which had been advertised at $100US online, actually cost $119US. We spoke to another girl on the same tour as us who had booked it for only $85US. We also did a canoe trip which involved the lodge lending us their canoe and driving us 4 miles up the river, for which they charged $29US per person. Given that the trip was unaccompanied I can't see how they can justify that price.
The other problem we had was with the food: there's no choice of what you can have and no indication of what the food wil be before you agree to have it. We made it clear when booking that I am vegetarian (although I eat fish), as were the only two other guests staying there. The first night was chicked stew, and the veggie 'option' on the first night was simply 'don't eat the meat', meaning I paid $15 for a dinner of rice and beans. If you like the meal then $15 is not bad value as it also includes starter and a bit of cake, but it's pretty poor if they give you something that they know you can't eat! That said, they did cook a nice fish stew on the second night after I complained (although the response when I said I wasn't happy was a very rude attitude and a 'what you complaining about, you ate the starter'!!).
It's not really feasible to go to town to eat as taxis are $15-20US each way, so avoid this place if you like to choose your food. The other annoyance was that although the lodge touted itself as a bird watching place, saying when we booked that they put fruit out for the birds in the mornings, it seems they only do that occassionally as we saw the remnants of some fruit when we arrived but none on any of the days when we were having breakfast.
We also didn't find that the family made us feel particulraly welcome. It's a shame as this has the potential to be a great place, but as it is I don't think I'd stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

I am a solo 30 year-old female traveler and stayed at Crystal Paradise for 3 nights.

The cabanas were simple and clean, though there were some ants and bugs that snuck in, which are to be expected in the jungle. No AC, but plenty of screened windows and a ceiling fan kept the air flowing. The grounds were beautifully kept.

The service was excellent starting with email correspondence from the initial inquiries to the moment of check out. The family cooked very delicious and balanced meals daily.

I'm not a birder, but I appreciated seeing so many really beautiful birds everyday. My birding cabana neighbors were impressed with the varieties viewable right from the platforms on site. They arrange tours as well, though I booked through organizers in town as the lodge could not easily accommodate me as a solo traveler.

The location is tricky. The lodge is 3.5 miles from town, which doesn't seem like much, but it is a very windy, hilly, and unpaved road. That meant taxis were expensive. There are busses that run infrequently to and from there as well as a collectivo that runs the route between town and the lodge for much less than the taxis.

While rooms were very reasonably priced, food on-site and transportation to and from added up. Keep this in mind. Enjoyed the stay and food thoroughly though.

• Stayed May 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights in late April and thought it was wonderful. As pointed out by others, this is not a luxury resort, and you should not expect any nightlife other than soothing jungle sounds and maybe a bottle or two of Belikin beer! But the Tut family will make you feel as welcome as you could wish for.
We had a lovely thatched cabana that was comfortable and clean. No AC, but we did not miss it! We had breakfast and dinner every day at the lodge, and enjoyed all the home-cooked food (mostly prepared and served by the family).
We are not birders, but came to appreciate the delights of seeing so many tropical birds up close on the large deck as we ate our meals each morning and evening. We woke every morning to birdsong and the smell of fresh coffee!
We did 3 tours, mostly to Mayan sites, arranged and guided by either Eric or Jeronie Tut. They are extremely knowledgeable about all the local sites, birds and jungle.
We wanted the sights and sounds of the jungle, in a beautiful and relaxing setting, and the Tut's lodge provided it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

If your looking for a luxury resort, look somewhere else. But if your looking for a really nice place to start your birding trips from, this is it.
We stayed early April 2013 and had a wonderful time. The weather was perfect-cool at night, not too hot in the day-.We didn't have an air conditioned room, and didn't need it, we had to use extra blankets at night.
The grounds are a great place to bird before breakfast, after breakfast we loaded up into the car for a bumpy ride to the birding sites of the day. Everyone of which was very productive.
If your looking for a particular bird and it lives in Belize, I believe they can find it for you.
Jeronie spotted two life birds for me before leaving the airport grounds,Fernando was the calmest (best) driver and great birder and Andy...well Andy is young and has two speeds while driving (wide open and stop) but also a great birder.
One day we had a relaxing canoe trip on the river that runs along the bottom of the property, very nice.
This is not a fancy 5 star place, but it's clean and friendly, like staying with friends.
They got right back to your questions when e-mailed.
This was one of the most memorable trips we have made to Central America and I would come back again.
If your a birder and your in doubt...do it.

Room Tip: Get a room with an A/C, we didn't need it but if we needed it and didn't have it...