“A tru paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crystal Paradise Resort

Save Saved
You added Crystal Paradise Resort to your Saves list
Crystal Paradise Resort
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Macal River near Cristo Rey Village | PO Box 126, San Ignacio, Belize   |
Special Price
30% off room rate
Ranked #9 of 28 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
Phillisburg, Nj
“A tru paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

I spent 7 months in planning our 9-day birding trip to Belize. We decided not to take any birding package because we are "DIY" kind of birders. We are serious birders with wide age range (from 7-year-old to 70-year-old) and various medical conditions AND on a budget, therefore we need to plan our trip carefully, PLUS we need to assure all lodge accommodations fit our needs.

We decided to stay at Crystal Paradise Resort for numerous reasons:
1. Its location: it is just a few miles from San Ignacio and not too far from Mountain Pine Ridge Preserve.
2. There are 3 units have A/C that we need.
3. They offer flexibility for bed configurations (from single to quad)
4. They offer a wide variety of birding activities via Paradise Expeditions (run by Jeronie Tut)
5. The room rates and meal charges are very reasonable
6. Their Customer Service Representative, Jeronie Tut, is friendly, prompt, helpful and efficient.

We stayed for 4 nights and went on the famous full-day Tikal tour. We specified that we are interested in a "birding focus" tour; our bird guide at Tikal, Hugo, did a superb job. He is friendly, fully aware of what we want to see, honest, and most importantly has super eye-sight and hearing so he can spot birds so fast!!

In addition to the Tikal trip, we also booked combination birding to El Pilar and Mountain Pine Ridge. Eric Tut did a fantastic job. He is truly one of the most positive things I observed in Belize: totally immerse himself in wildlife/nature/birding and promoting eco-tourism.
In terms of meals, Chef Catalina, Cousin Elena and all the dining helpers did a fantastic job. All meals are freshly prepared with local produce and ingredients. If there is a restaurant like this in the US, I will be visiting everyday. Most amazing thing is that both of my picky-eater kids love their cooking as well. On one morning, my son ate 9 fry jacks and then went on the Tikal trip. Experiencing Belizean cuisine is definitely a major bonus point to our fantastic birding trip.

In terms of the birding at the resort site is also out of this world. I can bird right from my porch and enjoy Blue-crown Motmot, keel-billed toucan, violaceous trogan, and tons of other beautiful birds. There were other birders stay at the resort and we often discuss our bird sighting and exchange notes during dinner.

Please keep in mind that this resort is in the jungle, it is unavoidable to see some ants or small insects crawling in the room or other facilities. I personally witnessed that the staff are diligently sweeping, raking, and mopping the entire resort every morning. I think Crystal Paradise did a superb job in providing their guests a clean, spacious, and cool room with friendly staff.
Last but not least, "papa Tut (Victor)" is very friendly, funny and hard-working. You can see him running around since early morning to make sure everyone is satisfied. He is also a visionary businessman; he mentioned that his another resort "Emerald Paradise" will be opened later this year located near Spanish Lookout.

Overall, we loved our visit at Crystal Paradise and we have decided to do this again next year!

Room Tip: I prefer a Non-thatch roof unit with A/C because my daughter will freak out when she sees a bug. Roo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

181 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Cancun
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

I didn't stay at this hotel but only went there for the birding tours so I am writing this report from that point of view. The guides are excellent and know the birds and where to find them. I saw Aracari and other nice birds right from the deck at the lodge. I took three tours with them. On one tour I saw the Stygian Owl, Black and White Hawk Eagle and many other great birds. On other tour I saw Jabiru Storks on their nest, Fork-tailed Flycatchers and many more. I cant say what the rooms are like but whether you stay at the hotel or not, if you are a birder, these are the best tours in the area. I had a couple of meals at their restaurant and the food was very good. I stayed in San Ignacio because I was not away of this lodge until after I arrived here. I think their tours need more publicity such as brochures at places in town. Most people are not aware of these great birding tours offered here.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We spent 4 nights at Crystal Paradise. First of all it was a great location. Everything in the jungle is spaced out, and I felt like we were about in the middle. I had been told the road that it is on, was awful....it had just been scraped before we arrived, and was not bad at all, but even if it is bad, the resort is only about 3 miles down the road. Going to stay in a lodge further out though would have been awful. The trip to Caracol, is about an hour past this lodge and the road is awful there....no exaggeration. The accommodations were simple but definitely adequate...the grounds were beautiful. We saw parrots and toucans while sitting in the restaurant! The restaurant food was simple (kid friendly), but good....definitely not overpriced (I saw a review saying food was overpriced). I think dinner was $12/pp U.S. and kids were 1/2 off. Drinks are self serve, sign the clipboard, keep track yourself....Beliken beer was $2.50. They will organize your tours for you, and arrange for your guides....and on many will discount for children under 12, all done on an informal basis, which made me a little nervous thinking somehow something would slip through, but it never did. We met Senor Tut and several other family members and they were all welcoming.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

We just got back from spending 4 nights at Crystal Paradise followed by 3 nights at the Singing Sands. The whole vacation was organized by Crystal Paradise and it was perfect! We thoroughly enjoyed all the tours near San Ignacio and our accommodations could not have been better. Comfy beds, lots of birds, more food than we could possibly eat and great hospitality. If you're looking to experience the real Belize, this is it!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlottetown, PEI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We just spent 5 days @ Crystal Paradise...tasty family meals, friendly atmosphere and lots of fun with Carolita during meals. The birding was excellent, staff were knowledgable & the tours of Tikal & the ATM Caves were fantastic. We loved our thatched roof cabannas with the hammock on the fron porch. The grounds were lovely with a grat variety of vegetation & even the trail to the river was interesting. Reasonably priced packages. We will definately be back...Thank you for making our stay so pleasant.

Room Tip: all cabannas were great
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Just returned from spending two weeks in Belize. The first week we stayed at Crystal Paradise Resort while we explored the area around San Ignacio. Crystal Paradise was perfect! Close enough to town and places of interest and far enough out into the jungle to be quiet and relaxing. Peaceful, beautiful grounds, lots of birds and excellent food! The staff was wonderful. All our questions and requests were dealt with quickly. Our room was clean and comfortable. We especially enjoyed the group style meals in the evening and the fun conservations we had with other guests and the Tut family members. Would love to come back for a longer stay!

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Pros: Beautiful grounds, fantastic food (which varies daily), great service (very attentive to the point that my needs were often addressed before i had the chance to ask), charming thatched roof huts, (Belizean) family run feel.

Cons (these are minor): Older birder crowd, beds a little uncomfortable but okay

Overall: Great value and highly recommended. You get a jungle lodge experience with great service and food (important when you are "stranded" in the jungle), while being close enough to San Ignacio town (important because you are close enough for pickup by the tour companies that you may directly book with).

Room Tip: Request a bungalow room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Crystal Paradise Resort? Share your experiences!