“What a unique and wonderful experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Black Rock Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Ignacio
Black Rock Lodge
You added Black Rock Lodge to your Saves list
Negroman Road, San Ignacio 00001, Belize   |
Offers & Announcements
SUMMER SPECIAL 15% OFF!
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in San Ignacio
Virginia
“What a unique and wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

Loved all four days. Great food and a professional and courteous staff. Well landscaped and the view of the river and mountain is something to be seen especially in the morning. You have to tour Tecal and ATM. A lost paradise in the jungle. CLBonner - Richmond VA

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

We went on a girl trip to Belize in April. me, my 17 yr old daughter and my 2 sisters. Spent our 2nd week at Black Rock Lodge (first week was on Ambergris), which was my second time there.

I just love it!! The staff is helpful and friendly. The views are spectacular.

The food is quite good, although I feel dinner is a bit expensive at $22 per person.

This time around, they have a naturalist on staff, Carlos, and he is incredibly knowledgable!

They were in the process of adding a building for Yoga right above the river.

Overall, a very peaceful and serene environment. I would definitely recommend a stay there, and do stay for at least 4 days.

A must to do while there is the ATM cave. It is quite an experience!

There is so much to do, or not, all depending on what you feel like.

We will return there for certain.

Sue and Ron Quinsey

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

This place is amazing.
The real estate on which black rock is built is just breathtaking, you really feel like you are in the jungle , not in a resort in the jungle. I wish we could have stayed for a week, but we wanted to get the ocean in as well, so we had 4 nights here.
We had cabin #15, (waterfall) and it was perfect, the king bed was so comfortable. The cabin is a perfect size with a large patio to sit on.
The staff is great, very friendly and accommodating. The food is really really good. At first I was really not into the idea of eating every dinner with other people at my table, but I think it's a great idea at a place like this. You got to talk about the tours you did or were going to do and get advice or give some out and make a new friend. In fact we stayed at another small resort in Ambergris Caye and felt odd that we did not do that there.

We booked ever excursion through them and had no issues.
We did ATM with our guide Hector( amazing). I am so glad we had him as our guide. It's a pretty intense cave/hiking/rock climb experience, I was nervous but I did it! I recommend it to anyone who as the chance to go. And Hector will literally guide you step by step through it.
We did ziplining/cave tubing at Jaguar Paw, which is a good 1hr 15 min away but again worth it. The ziplining is awesome and so is the cave tubing, but warned if you are short like me, it's a bit uncomfortable as your had hardly reach the water over the tube .
Our third day we went to Xunantanich and cahl pech (sp?) IT IS HOT at Xunantanich be warned .. I was exhausted after that from the heat, but it was totally worth climbing to the top again our guide that day was Hector- he is an amazing knowledge base for just about anything. Our last afternoon we stayed on premise and did horseback riding with Louis another great and patient guide.. we did the vaca falls ride. It's not your avg horse trail, lots of steep and narrow trails just fyi, but it was beautiful.
I hope to stay here again some day, There is just so much stuff to do in the jungle, so many ruins to see, we only saw 2.
The only thing I need to bring up is the 6 mile dirt road, it takes a good 26 min to go down it. It's very bumpy. That said , it's totally worth it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

Black Rock Lodge is truely God created. From the moment you are picked up in Belize City to the end of your stay, you are treated with care and kindess from all of the staff as well as the owners. The food at Black Rock Lodge is made from scratch each meal and is simply wonderful. The Lodge is beautiful and you will not need to search for something to do because the beautiful Belize birds are everywhere. There are plenty of trails to explore and many tours offered by Black Rock Lodge. We took the horse ride and it was simply breathtaking. My husband and I are not what you call birders or explorers, but while in Belize for 14 days the 4 days at Black Rock Lodge was the best part of our trip. Oh! how can I forget, the cabin, we stayed in the deluxe river view cabin and it was paradise. The most in hotel luxury and beautil furnishings completed this Jungle Resort. You will not be disapointed, it truely was perfect. Tracy - Houston Texas

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

After spending 5 nights in San Pedro, we moved on to 5 nights at Black Rock during the first week of May. All I can say is that pictures really don't do this place justice. The location is stunning, as are many of the cabins. We were in cabin 12 and loved it, in particular the amazing deck overlooking the Macal River valley. That deck was the perfect "debrief" after many busy days of adventure and sightseeing. We did have a few visitors during our stay, in particular one friendly gecko show seemed to like hanging out on our bathroom wall each night. Flashlights are a must while you are here, as they come in handy doing nightly "critter checks" before bed.

The road is as advertised - nothing surprising for those of us that have been on plenty of dirt roads. It does get a bit old if your out for tours everday, but it's a tiny price to pay for seeing some spectacular locations in the Cayo District.

I can't say enough about the staff. Giovanni was always on top of things. We were low on hot water a few times, and he dealt with it immediately. He catered to a few of our specialized needs, and always followed up on how things were for us throughout our stay. Rohelio - only the most amazing server I've ever seen. He worked constantly throughout our entire stay, and was tireless in his efforts at serving all off the guests at Black Rock. And he makes one mean Chilada! Finally Hector, who was our tour guide on several occasions - smart, funny, and a pleasure to be around. We had many conversations about Belize, and he had many questions for us about our home as well. Never have me or my wife ever been remotely emotional leaving a vacation spot, but these people made it difficult to say goodbye.

We toured ATM and Caracol with Hector, who as mentioned was fanatastic, particularly at ATM. His knowledge of the cave added a level of safety to the trip that I'm not sure may have been with other tour groups. He was also extremely flexible with our tours, changing things up to cater to our interests (i.e. touring the Saturday market in San Ignacio). Giovanni also set us up with an amazing guide (Elfredo) at Xunantunich, who turned out to be a village elder. He made the trip that much more fascinating. We also did the 4 hour horseback tour to Flour Camp Cave with Luis, which was great. He takes great pride in his horses and his country.

If you get the opportunity to spend time at Black Rock - take it.

Sarnia, ON, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

Our visit here started off on a very sad note due to the serious illness / death of a family member. So, our first comments are in appreciation for two staff members in particular at Black Rock Lodge.

Nadia, at the reception desk, showed the highest compasion and professionalism when she assisted us with all of our phone calls back to Canada, in re-arranging our flights with American Airlines (which was a very trying & tedious experience), and delivering the e-mail to us that informed us of my mother's death the night before we were to fly home. In addition, Nadia hugged me, cried with me, and brought me a candle to light in our room as a tribute to my mother.

Giovanni provided me with access to e-mail so that I could keep in touch with family members regarding my mother's condition and our plans to return home.

With the assistance of Nadia & Giovanni, our experience was much less traumatic than it could have been. Thanks to both of them that words cannot express.

Black Rock Lodge is an absolutely beautiful and serene setting for a vacation. There are enough activities and excursions to keep you busy if you choose to be. If you just want to rest and relax, watching the birds and listening to the sounds of the river are great therapy.

We look forward to returning to Black Rock in the future to continue our Belize experience.

Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

We stayed at Black Rock for only one night. We should have stayed 2 or 3. We got upgraded into a beautiful River View room. The river is great for swimming, there are at least 2 excellent hikes to the summit and to Vaca Falls. We stayed in Belize for one month and this was the pick of the bunch (though, note we did not stay at Chan Chich or Chaa Creek, so can't compare). It was much cheaper than staying at those two places, however.
There are also friendly german shepherd dogs and the staff are super-professional. We will be back!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Black Rock Lodge? Share your experiences!