“Beautiful place to spend our Honeymoon!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Black Rock Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Ignacio
Black Rock Lodge
You added Black Rock Lodge to your Saves list
Negroman Road, San Ignacio 00001, Belize   |
Offers & Announcements
SUMMER SPECIAL 15% OFF!
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in San Ignacio
Houston
“Beautiful place to spend our Honeymoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We absolutely loved Black Rock! I planned the entire trip so knew pretty much what to expect but my husband was simply blown away by this place, said it was nothing like he expected it would be staying out in the middle of the jungle. The view was gorgeous and we felt as if we were in paradise.
The owner Giovanni was so nice! We spent a little time talking to Javier and were just amazed at his knowledge of the area and we loved talking to him! Nolan and Rajello (sp?) made excellent drinks (the Pina Coladas were the best we've ever had!) and were so helpful and great to talk to!
The food was good and we loved that they had a 4 course meal and the way they did the seating was awesome as well! You get to sit next to new people every night and we got to talk to several different people and compare experiences which was great for us since we are a pretty outgoing couple and love to meet new friends.
My husband thought that the proximity of some of the cabins would be an issue with privacy but it really wasn't. The only thing is that the lodge is quite a ways from town and if you don't have a rented vehicle, you are pretty much stuck there for dinner. The food was good, but my husband and I wanted to venture out and try some of the places in town which I would recommend if you have a car. There are some awesome places in town to eat. If you do rent a car at the airport, DO NOT try to drive through Belize City! We learned that the hard way! lol
We didn't book any of our tours through Black Rock. I booked them way beforehand with River Rat and we weren't disappointed. Going with the lodge seemed like there were quite a few people on each trip and going with River Rat, there were generally only 2 other people in the group with us so it was great. We didn't hear any complaints though from those that booked through the lodge. I think they go through one of the tour groups in town and it's just more convenient that way.
You also have to remember that this is a lodge in the middle of the jungle so bugs are not going to stay away. We didn't really have problems, we did find that there were a few ants that made their way into the cabin, but mainly stayed in the bathroom. They were harmless though, and didn't bother us at all. The rooms are not air conditioned and even with the high humidity, it wasn't bad in the rooms. We turned on the fan with the windows open, and slept great!
We loved some of the paintings in our room so asked if we could purchase one and they were more than happy to accommodate us! We loved spending our honeymoon in paradise with such amazing people! I would definitely recommend this place over and over again!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Deluxe cabin, cabin #4. It had a lovely view of the river
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I wish I would have recorded the sounds of the jungle on my iPhone before I left. This is where jungle background sounds are made! The waterfall, thousands of birds, etc. Amazing.

This is definitely not a Hilton! The cabins are airy one-room structures built to take advantage of the fresh mountain breezes. The resort does have running water and electricity (although encourage not to use more than you need!)

Black Rock Lodge is off-the-grid, meaning there is no power available from the electrical utility. Since 1989, Black Rock Lodge has been producing electricity with clean energy, through a combination of solar and hydro power. They operate all of Black Rock Lodge with electricity generated by non-polluting, renewable resources. No blow dryers here!

Dinner is served family-style with a "Chef’s Choice" entrée selection featuring either a vegetarian entrée or meat entrée option (guests are requested to choose their selection by noon for that night’s dinner). It's fun to eat dinner with the other guests, we got to meet people from all over the world. Reminded me a little of Summer Camp.

Rafting, hikes, bird watching, biking- all great things to try. You are NOT close to anything else and there is really slow internet that isn't even worth trying to use. You are truly on vacation and one with the environment.

I WILL go back here. This is where I "go" to relax mentally now. Amazing!

Room Tip: Pick the cabin by the waterfall! If you like falling asleep to the sounds of water, you can't be...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Idaho Falls, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

While recently in the San Ignacio area on a "Belize School Project", a group of Denver teachers aiding the local schools with workshops and supplies I discovered Black Rock Resort. I admit I am a birder and someone gave me the hint that the Black Rock Resort was a top bird area in the beauty of the jungle (http://www.blackrocklodge.com/home.html). I took a day and a half to go there and visit. I was extremely impressed with the facilities and hospitality, let alone the bird guides and birding. After a typical Belize bumpy road I came upon a mini "Garden of Eden". The Lodge is situated in the Mayan Mountains on the Macal River. The cabanas and main Lodge area are excellent, using a lot of beautiful natural wood. I was fortunate to get a great breakfast during my birding experience with my two guides Elvis and Carlos. Whether you are a birder or not this is an experience not to miss. It is an environmental sanctuary iwth a natural beauty hard to find in this day and age. The manager with whom I had a good discussion about history and ecology associated with this sanctuary is Javier Gutierrez (jgutierez@blackrocklodge.com.

Room Tip: I did not stay over night, but traveled two different days. The cabanas are modern, clean and lovel...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I just spent three days in the exceedingly capable hands of the staff at the Black Rock Lodge. I had done quite a bit of research on TripAdvisor and elsewhere and I was debating among hotels directly in San Ignacio (for an urban experience), higher-priced resorts on the outskirts of town (for a pampered experience), and the Black Rock (for a more remote and peaceful experience). I decided to go with Black Rock because of its eco-tourist philosophy and the fact they offered wi-fi (I wanted to be remote but not necessarily completely untethered). I am immensely happy with my decision.

The lodge itself is nestled between lushly-forested highlands and rock cliffs that overlook a river on which guests can canoe and go tubing (there is even a free beer offered for tubing guests who manage to stay upright through the rapids). There’s also hiking, bird watching, horseback riding and other activities offered for those wishing to stay local – for a secluded oasis off the beaten track there is never a shortage of things to do. Because of my limited time I opted to take advantage of a couple of the (many) day trips that can be arranged through the lodge – a trip to the Tikal ruins in Guatemala and the ATM caving adventure. Both went off without a hitch (you can read more about them in the Activities section on TA). The family style dining set up was perfect for me as a solo traveler, but there were also couples that wanted privacy and they easily managed to stay out of the fray.

What impressed me the most about Black Rock was the extraordinarily high level of service I received without it seeming forced or overbearing. I never once felt that I was being “sold to” or manipulated and yet I was also never without a beer when I wanted one, a meal when I was hungry, or an idea for an activity when I was feeling adventurous. That level of service – the feeling of being completely taken care of without the feeling of being stalked – is accomplished by powerfully few in the hospitality industry and the Black Rock Lodge delivered in spades.
If you’re planning to go the Cayo District in Belize stay at the Black Rock Lodge. If you’re itching for an urban experience, ask to take a quick car ride into town and spend the day in San Ignacio. If you want a more expensive experience, use a tiki torch to set fire to a few $100 bills – you won’t be sorry.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

This place is a Gem. Deep in the Jungle, with amazing cliffs all around. We only stayed for two nights, but wanted to stay longer. We rented an SUV in Belize City and drove to the lodge ourselves, this is an option that can give you some more freedom and save a bit of money if you have 4 people or so.

The lodge was first class, delicious food and drinks. Very reasonably priced.

The HIke to the peak across the river was a great experience and we recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Just about everything you could want is available here, and you will be DEEP in the jungle of Belize. While the road in is very treacherous, the trek through the muck is worth it. The staff was always present and helpful, and the meals were fantastic. With all of that said, our only drawback was that the food, tours, and activities are in addition to the nightly rate. Our bill for food and horseback riding was three times more than the bill for our private cabana.

Also a tip for you hopeful travellers: a private taxi will charge you roughly $125-160 USD for a one-way ride from Belize City to the resort. Public transportation to San Ignacio ($3 USD) and an SUV to the resort ($40 USD) is really the way to go without feeling taken advantage of by the locals.

Overall, the resort is safe and there is plenty to do, but it would be wise to do some research about your trip to Belize if you want to make the most of your travel dollars.

• Stayed October 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Loved my experience at Black Rock Lodge. Super friendly and attentive staff, pretty grounds, nice rooms and a wide range of activities. We went horseback riding, took the trip they offer to Tikal, hiked and went swimming in the river. We had great time! The food is good and well priced and their bartender makes great cocktails. Would love to return one day. Be sure to bring flashlight when you go because it can get dark at night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Black Rock Lodge? Share your experiences!