Our stay at Macal River Camp was a joy! Each large tent, canvas walls with mesh windows on all 4 sides, is on raised platform and has a verandah with hammock and chairs. While the accommodation is basic - two firm beds, bedside tables and 2 single beds that double as places to put suitcases and lay out one's belongings, it was perfect for its jungle setting. The outhouses (with electricity and sinks), and the shower house (hot water was a bit erratic) were spotlessly clean. At dusk, oil lamps were lit in each tent and the thatched, open-sided dining area had electricity and an outlet for re-charging batteries. The set meals were great with the menu changing each day. Breakfast - endless tea and coffee available from 6.30am on (good for the early risers up to see the birds), and there were seconds in everything one asked for. Dinner was 3 courses, imaginative and tasty. Dosio and his wife and son Ariel were charming and attentive hosts, always available to arrange excursions, provide useful information and in our case, shuttle us down to Chaa Creek as one of our party was unable to walk the trail to the resort. After dinner a campfire was lit and we sat with the other camp guests to chat about our day, gaze at the stars and listen to the night noises of the jungle - mainly frogs, owls and howler monkeys. Colourful birds, orchids and other exotic flowering plants, even an occasional Paca (a large herbivorous Central American Rodent) added to Macal Camp's jungle ambiance.
Best of all, we had access to the amenities at the luxurious Chaa Creek Lodge without having to pay its much higher prices! A 10-minute walk along a trail above the river and you were on their property. We used their pool daily, went on guided bird walks, could have lunch there if we wanted to, use their safety deposit box as well as canoe up or down the Macal River. Couldn't ask for better value.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- For over 30 years Chaa Creek has been providing a comfortable base for exciting inland adventures for thousands of visitors, from explorers, scientists, filmmakers, research groups, students and people of all ages looking for intellectual and physical stimulation in Belize's vibrant rainforest - the heartland of the Maya. We also realise that any rewarding adventure is enhanced by comfortable accommodations and excellent food. Our 23 palm thatched cottage rooms ensure a good night's sleep and delightful mornings accompanied by the sing song of a rainforest waking up, and guests can choose a Complete Garden Suite, an Orchard and Spa Villa, Macal Cottage or Tree Top Suite, all equipped with a Jacuzzi for even extra comfort. As one example, under our Chaa Creek Cares program, 10% of all accommodation revenue goes straight into environmental and social programs, and in supporting Green and community groups. We sleep better, and you will too, knowing that your stay at Chaa Creek has a positive effect on Belize and our very special pristine natural environment. Families share some of life's most cherished moments - and memories - during a Belize family vacation. And to guarantee a family vacation that everyone will enjoy, multi award winning Chaa Creek is the only Belize destination you'll need. Our affordable, all inclusive family friendly adventure holidays are absolutely stress free and bring everyone closer together through sharing a variety of amazing adventures along with quiet moments to reconnect - all in a stunning rainforest setting. Nature and romance bloom year round in the stunning beauty of Belize. Our all-inclusive romantic vacation packages allow lovers of all ages to immerse themselves in nature and each other. An exquisite rainforest filled with colourful tropical birds, canoe trips down the meandering Macal river with the misty Maya mountains in the background, unwinding together in your private Jacuzzi surrounded by a tropical garden, couples massages, candlelit dinners and sharing once-in-a-lifetime experiences create the perfect conditions for love to flower. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Tingo, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your The Lodge at Chaa Creek reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lodge At Chaa Creek Hotel San Ignacio
- Hotel At Chaa Creek
- At Chaa Creek Hotel
- Chaa Creek
- The Lodge At Chaa Creek Belize/San Ignacio