We stayed at the Macal River Camp at the Chaa Creek Resort.
The resort is a very fancy five star resort. The Macal River Camp is a camp option located at the resort. This option is not right for everyone - but my family loved it!
The camp has cabana type huts on stilts above the jungle floor. There is no electricity or bathrooms in the huts. There is mainly 4 beds (or 2 in the smaller huts) with a wonderful front porch with chairs and a hammock. You are truly staying on the jungle floor and walk outside to animals and birds everywhere.
Bathrooms are set off to the side and have electricity and warm showers. The toilets are located a short walk from the sinks and showers and are flush toilets.
Food is included in the price. Food is served communal style under a large covered area with picnic tables. This was a highlight of our say here. The food was good, but the real experience came form meeting the other people. We meet people from all over the world. It was so much fun asking people what they had done since they had been in Belize and what they still planned to do. Was also great learning about the other counties people had visited and what they liked about them. We found ourselves getting up early even on our quiet days to have coffee with people before they headed out to their adventures.
Staying at the camp, you can use the facilities of the resort. You get to the resort along a hike down the medicinal plant trail. (Notice I said a hike, this is an up and down trail and you need to watch your step.) We used the pool, went canoeing (there is a wonderful botanical garden you can canoe too) and took advantage of some of the talks.
We booked the Tikal tour through the resort. We had stayed in Belmopan before coming here and booked the the ATM and tubing ourselves, but if I had to do it over I would probably stay here longer and book both through them.
In the evenings you can play cards or read a book at the picnic table where dinner is served. They also light a bonfire each night. But you will probably head to bed earlier then you would expect. Think more like camping evening activities then resort activities. bring flashlights!
I cannot suggest this place strongly enough if you are the type of person who loves roughing it. We had our college age children with us and this was their favorite place we stayed in Belize.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- For over 30 years Chaa Creek has been providing a comfortable base for exciting inland adventures for thousands of visitors, from explorers, scientists, filmmakers, research groups, students and people of all ages looking for intellectual and physical stimulation in Belize's vibrant rainforest - the heartland of the Maya. We also realise that any rewarding adventure is enhanced by comfortable accommodations and excellent food. Our 23 palm thatched cottage rooms ensure a good night's sleep and delightful mornings accompanied by the sing song of a rainforest waking up, and guests can choose a Complete Garden Suite, an Orchard and Spa Villa, Macal Cottage or Tree Top Suite, all equipped with a Jacuzzi for even extra comfort. As one example, under our Chaa Creek Cares program, 10% of all accommodation revenue goes straight into environmental and social programs, and in supporting Green and community groups. We sleep better, and you will too, knowing that your stay at Chaa Creek has a positive effect on Belize and our very special pristine natural environment. Families share some of life's most cherished moments - and memories - during a Belize family vacation. And to guarantee a family vacation that everyone will enjoy, multi award winning Chaa Creek is the only Belize destination you'll need. Our affordable, all inclusive family friendly adventure holidays are absolutely stress free and bring everyone closer together through sharing a variety of amazing adventures along with quiet moments to reconnect - all in a stunning rainforest setting. Nature and romance bloom year round in the stunning beauty of Belize. Our all-inclusive romantic vacation packages allow lovers of all ages to immerse themselves in nature and each other. An exquisite rainforest filled with colourful tropical birds, canoe trips down the meandering Macal river with the misty Maya mountains in the background, unwinding together in your private Jacuzzi surrounded by a tropical garden, couples massages, candlelit dinners and sharing once-in-a-lifetime experiences create the perfect conditions for love to flower. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Tingo, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your The Lodge at Chaa Creek reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lodge At Chaa Creek Hotel San Ignacio
- Hotel At Chaa Creek
- At Chaa Creek Hotel
- Chaa Creek
- The Lodge At Chaa Creek Belize/San Ignacio