“Rumors Hotel is Fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rumors Hotel

You added Rumors Hotel to your Saves list
Rumors Hotel
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Mile 68 Western Highway | mile 2 1/2 Benque Viejo Road, San Ignacio, Belize   |
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in San Ignacio
Garner, North Carolina
“Rumors Hotel is Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I recently took a group of US doctors to stay for a week at Rumors Hotel and I must say that our stay was fantastic. First of all the staff at Rumors are so nice and friendly and eager to help with whatever you need. The rooms at the hotel are really nice, super clean and so comfortable. Our team of doctors were doing medical missions in several villages in the Cayo District and it was so nice to return to the hotel to the smiling faces, great food and fun atmosphere that abounds at the Rumors Hotel! As far as a group's staying at Rumors, the breakfast's and dinners were just amazing but the sack lunches were gourmet and we could not wait to see what was next for lunch! I am planning to take more groups to Rumors Hotel and and am looking forward to all the wonderful amenities available at Rumors Hotel. Thank you Rosy, Francisco and all the wonderful staff for everything to make our stay in Belize amazing!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Hayden, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We had only planned to spend 4 days here, and then move on to another resort NE of Belize City that was "pre-paid" with no refund. However we loved it so much here that we blew that one off, and stayed here for 8 days.

As best I could determine, this facility was originally built as an event center for weddings and other parties, and would be great for that. It was only recently that they started to add rooms, and started to open these about a year ago. All of the rooms are quite modern and clean. Hector senior is the father, and a building contractor. All of the work has been done to standards much higher than I found in most of Belize.

This is a family run business. Francisco and Rosie manage the operation, and are both on site 24/7 to respond to your every need. Mark is always around working on some improvement project. Rumors is constantly being improved and expanded. There is even plans for a pool in the future.

Even during the slow time, they were more than willing to open the kitchen, and fix us a meal any time we were not in town.

Don't let the fact that this location is a little out of town deter you, as this is actually a "plus". We visited during the "slow time", and still found the city of San Ignacio to be a great place to "go to", but did not see any place I would want to stay. Most of the places we would want to stay at were slightly out of town. Rumors sets on the top of a hill, with great views, and is only a $5 (10$ BZ) cab ride out of town.

About cabs - Due to high import tariffs, cars don't get replaced often in Belize. Autos as a general rule get driven until they are totally dead. Not just wounded, but dead. Many of these "wounded" cars spend their final years as cabs. We were in many that were scary. We recommend that you call Abilio @ 501-662-8407. His car is not the newest, but it is safe, and he is very responsive to your needs. We called him many times, and often set appointments with him. He is always on time and gracious.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed at Rumors the last week in Aug. 2013 with my husband. Originally we were going to stay 3 nights but ended up staying 5 nights. This is a family owned hotel and they made us feel as we were part of their family. So helpful and accommodating. We didn't rent a car and really didn't want to do tours .. we planed on taking a cab to the places we wanted to see. The owners son and his wife offered to take us in their own personal car. I highly recommend Rumors when I return I wouldn't stay anywhere else. We arrived with an open mind and heart we left with friends for life.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This turned out to be a very nice accommodation for my two nights stay in the San Ignacio region. The owners are wonderful - and I am so thankful that they managed to book a tour to Tikal for me (I traveled alone and usually tours can only be booked for two persons or more). It would recommend staying at the Rumors Hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I was originally going to only stay for 4 days and enjoyed my time so much that I ended up here for a week. This hotel has some of the most friendly, responsive, and accommodating staff I have ever met. I cannot think of one moment where they could have done more to make my stay even more enjoyable than it was.

The hotel grounds are very nice with a fantastic views from back. There is a nice little boardwalk to watch the many birds around the property.

The rooms were bright and clean. The bed was very comfortable. There was a TV and a fridge in my room, but I didn't use either. I am not usually a fan of A/C, but it was definitely welcome after the humid days taking in the sights. My room had a large balcony with a table and an umbrella that I spent a lot of time relaxing on when it was too rainy to do anything else.

As others have mentioned, it is a short taxi ride to town. The staff will set up a taxi to town or anywhere else, as well as coordinate flights and tours. Instead of paying for a tour, they set me up with a taxi ride to Xunantunich, which I felt was a much better experience.

I would definitely stay again if I am ever in the area.

Room Tip: I stayed in room number 5, which had a bigger balcony than some of the others.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
South Rockwood, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed at Rumors Resort in mid May with my sister and mom. Rosie and Rosalie were very friendly and accommodating. Our flight was delayed by 5 hours but they opened up the restaurant and made us dinner when we finally arrived. The next morning they made us an early breakfast so we could take a tour to Caracol. They also arranged our ground transportation to their hotel from the Belize Int'l Airport. We had a premium room with two double beds, tv, and refrigerator. The room was very clean. The mattress was a bit too firm for me and my sister but our mother liked it. Thankfully, there was also air conditioning since it was in the upper 90's each day. Unfortunately, we couldn't figure out how to set it below 78*F(26*C). The only thing that was missing was a pool. It would have been so nice to relax in a pool after a long day of visiting Mayan sites.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Birmingham UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Found this hotel based on previous Trip Advisor reviews and we were not disappointed. It's a 10 minute taxi ride west of San Ignacio only a few miles from the border with Guatamala which made it ideal for the fabulous trip to Tikal which we can highly recommend.

There is no swimming pool but the owners have plans to rectify this. That apart this is a very good hotel and our room was beautifully appointed and spotlessly clean with flat screen TV, kitchenette with fridge and coffee and lovely air con!

Our stay coincided with a quiet period for the hotel which perhaps explains why the bar was open only on request.

Room Tip: |Ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rumors Hotel? Share your experiences!