“Max made our last days in Belize a positive lasting memory.” 5 of 5 stars

501-623-4880
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Maximum Adventure Tours takes trips to Belize's best and most exciting spots. Caves, Ruins and Rivers we do it all.
San Francisco, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Max made our last days in Belize a positive lasting memory.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My girlfriend and I found Max on TripAdvisor and we are happy that we chose his tour company.

On our first day in San Ignacio, we stopped in to introduce ourselves as the couple that was emailing back and forth with him for the previous couple of days. Our trip wasn't for another two days or so, but Max was welcoming and that evening when we were eating dinner next door, he even introduced us to his family.

Fast forward a few days to our trip to Tikal. We met up with Max and piled in the van that would take us to the Guatemala border. From there, we went through customs and took another van the rest of the way. Max took us to a very authentic Guatemalan rest stop that actually looked like the owner's home.

The trip itself was great; sleeping in a hotel in the jungle, waking up at 4am to get to the temples in time for sunrise.

I believe that our tour lasted about 30 hours and he kept us out of trouble every step of the way. Max seems to be friends with almost everyone from San Ignacio to Tikal. This was comforting because I felt like if anything had gone wrong, he would have been able to get us help.

Also, I forgot my credit card with him after I paid. When he realized it, he took it over to our hotel, but by that time, we were already on the way to Cancun. There were no suspicious charges from that time until I reported the lost card a week later. Max is trustworthy and took great care of us. There were no hidden fees during the tour. I believe that we only had to cover the border fees into Guatemala, something that we were told well in advance.

Lindsay, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Amazing max. Thats what he is.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Not having much time for tours. Max put together a short mayan tour for us. It was great. Hot.. Adventurous.. Informative..,interesting. Max and his co worker john was awesome. We felt very comfortable going to the unknown. John helped me through the highest maya ruins. I still have wobbled knees when i reflect on that day. We cant wait to go back. i cant do the water cave tour im terrified of water and rob cant swim. Cant do mountain climb tour with robs back from a car accident. But we will walk another maya tour. And do the guatamala tour. For a day. Thank you max your a sweety. You have a beautifull family. Your hospitalty is much appreciated. Your enthusiasm is out of this world. Congratulations to you because this is why you are sucessful. See you soon .

Horsham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Overpriced cavetubing experience...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We did a cave tubing tour with Max as he clearly mentioned that we would receive an full guided experience. That was a bit of a dissapointment, as the trip was mostly an "ego-trip" in which we were bombarded with his previous experiences, how experienced he is and how much he knows around herbs, medecine, etc.

Unfortunately, during this trip, there was minimal guiding. No information was shared in relation to the surroundings, jungle, etc. The cave tubing was disappointing, as apparently there were Mayan cave paintings etc but we were not shown any of this.

I would clearly state that $75 pp was a high price to pay for a minimalistic tour and it was a different experience, but it was still an experience...

Beijing, China
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Overnight in Tikal.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

I booked an all-inclusive overnight trip to Tikal for myself and my boyfriend during our visit in San Ignacio. We met up with Max at his shop (he offered to pick us up but we were walkin around town anyways). He had a driver to take us to the Belize-Guatemala border, where we went through customs and got in a different vehicle (a spacious van) with Max, who then drove us to Tikal. After we settled in our hotel (Tikal Inn), Max handed us off to one of the guide who work for the park to take us on our sunset tour. Afterwards we came back, had dinner and pretty had to go to bed since our sun rise tour the next day started at 4am. Max came along with us on the sun rise tour. After we were done, had breakfast and left to go back to San Ignacio.

Apparently Max's dad was a medicine man and Max's learned a lot from him. So when my back was killing me from all the walking, he showed me some chiropractic exercises that would help alleviate the pain.

We had a lot of fun and glad we did the all inclusive deal since it was our first time in the area. Max took care of everything so we didn't have to worry about arranging for every little thing for the tour.

new york city
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Don't go anywhere else!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I really can't believe the review below mine is written about Max. If it's not evident from the various reviews that rave about Max and his tours, then I don't know what else to say!

My friend and I were walking down the strip of Burns Ave looking for a tour that involved some adventure and ancient ruins. We didn't have a specific itinerary, but we know Burns Ave had a lot to offer, so we walked around to compare rates and services, etc...

When we stumbled upon Max's cozy shoppe, we realized he was immediately warm and friendly. He offered us a variety of options based on what we wanted to see and do. Eventually, we settled on a day trip to Guatamala, where we would tour Tikal and go zip lining. We also needed to be dropped off at Barton Creek at the end of the day, which was completely out of the way for him. After discussing rates and times, we settled on everything. Easy breezy.

The next morning, Max was waiting for us at the juice stand across from our hotel 10 minutes early as he had promised. He drove us to the border and made sure we got across safely with no issues. Then he hooked us up with a guy that had a nice/new SUV that would drive us to zip lining and Tikal. The man who drove us "Mr Lucky" was also really relaxed and nice. We then picked up Mr Luis who is the Tikal expert. The amount of knowledge and energy the man has is amazing! They basically customized the tour for us, so that we could stop or start whenever we wanted.

After the day was over, on the way back, we had an authentic Gutamalan meal. It was delicious and fresh. Max picked us up at the border again. Never did we have to wait, or feel shuffled around or unsafe.

As we were approaching our hotel, I told Max my foot hurt from an injury I had days before. I thought glass might be in my foot. I trusted that he would know what to do. He kindly let me go into his shoppe, and opened my wound up with a needle (after it was cleaned with rubbing alcohol). He brought his friend Johnny to assist with "the surgery." They were both so nice, bringing me a smoke and an alcoholic drink so that I could relax and keep my mind off of the pain. Max bought band aids, and all the stuff to clean my wound without once charging me or asking for money.

We treated them to dinner at the pizza place across the way as a gesture of gratitude. When I went back home, my doctor said that the wound was cleaned out really well.

The reason why you should pick Max is because he's honest, he's not trying to make a quick buck off of you and he really cares that you get the experience you want and deserve.