“Trip of a lifetime!!” 5 of 5 stars

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Trip of a lifetime!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

Our family was on a dream vacation in beautiful Belize! We of course went to see some Mayan ruins, Xunantunich, and our guide was awesome! We mentioned that we really wanted to see something "different," but we were worried about taking our 9 year old on anything too adventurous. He recommended we get in touch with River Rat Expeditions and we did. Best thing we could've done! Gonzo was very helpful in suggesting various tours, asked all the right questions about our level of fitness, how much we had for a budget, and how much time we had. After about a 10mn conversation, we had our tour to the Mountain Pine Ridge set! It was an amazing day. Gonzo, the owner, took us personally and he was very knowledgeable and made the day perfect for my son! The price seemed high, but after we saw what the tour entailed, we felt the price was beyond fair and the memories we take with us are priceless! If you are going to Belize, be sure to head out to the Cayo district and look up River Rat Expeditions! Thanks Gonzo!

Visited March 2011

Mesa, Arizona
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“River Rat Expeditions - a great way to see Belize”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

I went with Gonzo and Carlos of River Rat Expeditions to the ATM Cave. I was a bit uncertain of what I would experience although I had heard great things about the cave. The nearly 5 hour trip that included much of the time in the water, climbing up and through the underground system was well worth it. Not only the experience of being in the cave, but being with very knowledgeable guides who know the caves so well, who are certified in cave rescue reassured me. They have studied these caves and the history extensively (and Gonzo working on his own graduate degree in anthropology) and being local Mayan men who care very deeply about their heritage and the absolute need to protect the caves made this experience one I would glad recommend for anyone.

Visited December 2010
cvguru
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“River Rat - The Real Deal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I was taken to 'Offering' cave by Gonzo of River Rat tours and it was the best cave tour in Belize that I have done, in fact it was one of the best tours I've ever done in Belize, and I've been going to Belize for 25 years!
Gonzo organised everything including a park ranger to accompany us with his chain saw, which we needed to chop up trees that had strewn the path to the cave - I even had to get behind the wheel of the 4WD to pull logs!
The cave was totally awesome and there was a cute American girl along with us who had a very nice bottom!
After the cave, we went skinny dipping at the pools in the mountains, can't remember the name of the particular ones we were at but they were very cool indeed - just what you need in the heat!
Then we went back to our American friends place in the bush and had a nice dinner with a few beers - all part of the package, which was very reasonable, about $150 usd which for a full day's tour was well worth it.
If you ever do anything in Belize, I would recommend two things to do; a cave tour with River Rat Tours and a sailing trip with Raggamuffin Tours on Caye Caulker - probably 2 of the best things you'll ever do in your life and definitely on the 'Bucket List'!
Don't waste time, book it and see those things before the world ends on 21st Dec 2012!

Visited January 2011
conneticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Accommodating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

We hired River Rats for 2 days of touring. At the end of the first day we changed our minds on what we wanted to do on day 2. Gonzo and his team were able to juggle things around and accommodate our request. We loved our guide Anselmo. River Rat Expeditions offers a very fair price and small groups. I would highly recommend them.

Visited August 2011
London, United Kingdom
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“River Rat tours were the best!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

We booked a package of 4 tours with River Rat Expeditions. We got an excellent price and the experience was simply the best tour experience I have ever had. Gonzo is a truly gifted guide who gave us an unforgettable introduction to both Belize’s history and its current situation.

Firstly we did tours of Caracol and Tikal. Gonzo was absolutely fabulous - actually trained in archaeology so incredibly knowledgeable but managed to convey a lot of information by making it very interesting. We also learnt a lot about current Belize – on the way to Caracol we gave a lift to a soldier and we learnt about how the British soldiers continue to train in Belize now.

The ATM cave was another great experience. We were the last tour group in and spent around 4 hours underground. Gonzo took great care to make sure everyone in the group was okay getting through.

Finally we visited the Belize Botanic Gardens and paddled back down the river to San Ignacio. Another wonderful day - learnt lots about the plants and how they were interlinked.

The best things were that the tour group sizes were always very small - which I definitely preferred to the big PacZ tours I saw. Secondly Gonzo really knew what he was talking about and was so good at giving us information - really the best tour guide I've ever met. Finally, I really felt that we got an introduction to Belize as it is now and how tourism could have positive benefits to the community.

Visited January 2011