“Awesome guide and great tour” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 26 Activities in San Ignacio
Type: Tours, Adventure
Providence, Rhode Island
13 attraction reviews
“Awesome guide and great tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

After reading a bunch of reviews on TA and other sites we decided on CAT for our tour to Caracol. The email response was the best I got and they were really accommodating. Our guide, Adrien was awesome. Our hotel was late serving breakfast and as we were the only 2 on the tour Adrien was Ok waiting for us to eat for a bit. I have some food allergies and I am vegetarian and the home cooked lunch they made specially for me was great. We were both a bit nervous on the crazy road out there, but Adrien was a very cautious driver and made us feel comfortable. I told him I was very interested in birds so along the way we stopped to identify a few. The pace of the tour was nice, we didn't every feel rushed and we were able to ask questions. We both learned a lot and agree we wouldn't even consider any other tour group. The pricing was reasonable as well, about the same as other places I spoke with. The group is also called Cayo Adventure Tours.

Visited March 2012

San Francisco, California
“Great way to see Belize!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

Where do I begin....Michael and his planning for my husband and I was wonderful, smooth, and above and beyond.

My husband and I had a little special thing we wanted, and that was a ride from Cancun to San Ignacio. No problem! Michael sent drivers for us. Wow! That was easy. I explained what we were looking for in a hotel. No problem! Michael connected us to Table Rock Jungle Lodge. Easy again. We wanted to plan some activities, but ended up deciding last minute what we wanted to do. No problem! He was great!

Then we arrive and he sends out Diego as our guide to Caracol. He was fabulous, and how special to be shown around Mayan ruins by someone that was there to excavate the area. It was private and special, and the birds and animals we saw added to make it a great day.

The second day, we allowed Deigo to talk us into caving in Crystal Cave. For the non-climber, it was a bit intimidating. He was patient, and we had a great experience....Ok. No lie. The last part of the cave was more than scary to me, but Diego was there to help. After the adventure in the cave, the swim in the blue hole was more than relaxing.

Then Sylvina back to drive us again. He was more than prompt and kind and knowledgeable about all there was to see!

Everyone we had contact with made us welcome in a way we did not expect. What a great travel experience!

Visited September 2011
Herts, UK
“CAT - friendly, efficient and providing a little extra”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Earlier this month of December, my wife and I spent 5 nights in San Igancio area. Although we were driving ourselves around the country having collected a rental in Cancun and crossing the border, we knew that this was one area in Belize where guided tours would be required. We used TA and a couple of other places to home in on CAT and we certainly were rewarded.
From the first initial emails we found CAT and Michael to be efficient, friendly and full of ideas as to how best to structure our stay and get the most out of the visit through the tours. For our 4 full days in the area we chose Caracol / Rio Frio Pools, ATM Cave and finally a day trip to Tikal - and used the final day as a rest up day during which we explored the area on our own.
All the tours were well lead, on time, informative and semi-private (not that we necessarily wanted that) as we were joined by one other visitor (Tim from Australia) on all three days.
This is not the place to go into the delights of the respective attractions - those reviews are already well populated but I can say that with Michael's guidance we found, for us, the right balance of culture and adventure.
In the head line I wrote of "a little extra". I give you two examples both related to the car rental from Cancun.
First, early on in planning the trip we realised that there'd be some time when we'd need to leave the car on the mainland in the vicinity of Belize City whilst we were in San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. I wrote to a number of hotels in the area to see if they'd accommodate the parking, checked out the airports and nothing gave me a high level of comfort. I then wrote to Michael asking for his advice; he straight away came back with a solution which proved to be perfect and resulted us in getting a little more insight into local living than we otherwise would have done. The cost to us was a bottle of wine :-).

Secondly, same car, different potential problem; on arrival in Belize the fact that I was bringing a car into the country was noted in my passport and I was warned very strongly to ensure that the entry needed to be cancelled on exit with the car on return. In going to Tikal, we would be crossing into Guatemala with CAT but without the car. This came as a flash to me 2 days before the Tikal trip so after completing tour 1, we went to the CAT offices in town which had already closed for the afternoon, but I spoke to a girl in a neighbouring shop / office explaining the situation before going off to eat.
Five minutes into the meal, someone came up to the table and introduced himself as the office receptionist at CAT. He'd just completed some exams, the girl in the neighbouring office had Facebooked him after our visit, and down he came to look for us to get all the details. So even off-duty, and even not the owner, the staff and friends of staff went that little extra to help us. We shared our food, bought him a beer and took him home for his trouble :-) And the solution? It was relatively simple; drive with our own car to the border, show the customs officials and cross over to Guatemala before getting on to a local Guatemalan tour vehicle with our CAT guide and tour buddy Tim from Oz.
So, a great experience with a fine company.

Visited December 2011
London, UK
“Fantastic guides, best packed lunches, cheap!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

We did two tours with Cayo Adventures - Caracol and Crystal caves. Our hotels did offer the tours, but it sounds like they just use local companies like this as well and then charge you much more. We just booked direct and it was super efficient. We had a different guide for each - Lewis and Diego. I cannot praise them enough. They were so friendly and knowledgeable and really went the extra mile to make sure we enjoyed and made the most of our trip - especially since we had some issues with the weather and all the water caves being shut. But due to this we ended up doing crystal caves, which was fantastic. I dont know why more people dont offer this tour. And the funny thing is that my second favourite thing about them is their lunches!! Really, really cannot recommend them enough.

Visited August 2011
Miami, Florida
12 attraction reviews
“Loved it- CAT is amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

Ok .. so I just wrote this long review .. and something happened to it. SMH.
So I have to be brief now. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. My husband and I went to Belize for our honeymoon and stayed at Blancaneux Lodge (BL). BL is a very nice hotel; however, it cost more to do any tours from here because it is on a mountain with unpaved roads. We chose Cayo Adventure Tours (CAT) because, we were able to get a great deal, the owner Michael was prompt in responding to my emails, and they were willing to drive up the mountain =).

CAT tours is amazing from booking with the owner Michael, the tours, and the tour guides. They were all very knowledgeable and timely. We got a discount because we booked multiple tours. They also provide airport transportation. We had private tours that were less expensive than our hotel and PACZ group tour rates. All of our tours came with a delicious lunch.

Places we visited:
ATM - You must go!!! Ben was our tour guide, he is awesome!

Tikal - Amazing experience. You get transferred to a Guatemalan guide. Buy souvenirs at the Tikal gift shop market. We didn't and they cost to much at the shop we stopped at on the way back.

River tubing - OK .. but great relaxing day. Its pretty cold.

ATV riding - truly fun and adventurous.

We even stopped in town one night for dinner on the way back from a tour. Michael and our guide joined us.

Overall CAT is great- if we go back to Belize I'm contacting them.

Visited November 2010