“Great experience staying with Mr Kenny G” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Central O'tel

Central O'tel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Ignacio
Central O'tel
You added Central O'tel to your Saves list
P.O. Box 70 | # 24 Burns Ave, San Ignacio, Belize   |
Ranked #14 of 26 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
Chetumal, Mexico
“Great experience staying with Mr Kenny G”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Unique, cheap accomodation with shared bathroom and clean sheets provided, right in the centre of town with terrace overlooking the main street. Many thanks to Kenny G for making us feel right at home. Mr G kept the place clean and tidy, made sure we were happy and was always willing to provide information on trips etc in the local area. I felt totally safe there along with my belongings. It was great meeting Mr G,s friends and a variety of characters staying at the O'tel. My boyfriend and I liked it there so much we stayed longer than planned getting stuck right into the caribbean rum of an evening talking and watching the world go by from the terrace, best spot in town in my opinion!

Many thanks again to Kenny G for making our stay in San Ignacio a memorable one! You're brilliant! Respect! :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Stockholm
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

This place is good value for money because it's so cheap. Not too clean and comfy, but Kenny is open about it and we had a great stay. Rooms are cleaner than bathrooms.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Really budget place but clean and the owner Kenny G tells you exactly what to expect when you arrive. The room had clean bedding, towels, soap provided, shared bathrooms with cold showers. It’s cheap at BZ$25 and we were entertained by Kenny G and his friends drinking rum on the terrace. We felt safe, had no problems with security in the room and booked our passage to Guatemala with Kenny G. We got picked up by a taxi and dropped off at the border. After crossing we got a collectivo to El Remate. It all worked somehow and was worth not having to get an early bus which would have been a bit cheaper. We enjoyed our stay and had an authentic San Ignacio stay! We visited the ruins at Xunantunich which were very quiet and really worth the visit.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I have no idea what any of these other folks are talking about I lent Kenny G 20BZD and he paid me the next morning first thing. I used the lock that was provided all nine nights I stayed there and would get KG to watch my room if I ran to the corner for smokes, never was anything stolen. I stayed at the o'tel two nights my first visit to san igancio and 7 nights my second visit about a week later then the first. The second time me and my buddy visited San Ignacio we were severely short on cash and Kenny G helped us with the room for a few nights till i got paid. The people I met throughout my 9 nights at the o'tel were the most interesting people I have met in my life, both locals and westerners living down there. But that's not to say this place is for the faint hearted, it is grimy and so are some of the people that you will meet there.

The location is great right in the centre of town and it has a sick balcony overlooking the main street. The 2 bed room was 12.50 american regardless of # of occupants. There is no constraints on you at this place you can do what ever you want although if your coming super later you gotta ring the door bell so he unlocks it. The room was clean and so was the bedding upon our initial arrival.

Honestly if your a hippie one world er your probably going to want to find somewhere else, that is to say the western San Ignacio residents I met there did not take kindly to the love everyone eco terrorist type mentality common in todays back packing community. I however felt right at home and it did make for great debates over bottles of rum.

If you want an air conditioned hotel room go somewhere else, if you want to really experience the people and real side of Belize the Central O'tel is a must. This place made my Belize trip.

I find it very difficult to believe these other reviews as I was shown the utmost hospitality by KG.

Dillon

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

We stayed here for two nights. Its cheap, clean with a shared bath. The Hotel is covered with post it notes telling you what not to do! Its a bit OTT. The the rooms next to the pub next door suffer from 20hr of loud music a day! If you like sleeping stay on the other side or down the street somewhere else. After chatting with the guy that runs the place 'Kenny G' we felt he had our best interests at heart. He did't he charged us $60B to get to the boarder including the Mini van on the other side! He ripped us off. It would have cost us only £8 to get to the boarder then a further $20B on the other side. OK hotel but don't trust the owner with travel plans or tour suggetions.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
New Berlin, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

We were looking for cheap and weren't afraid to be a little dirty and really experience Central America. We took a room and paid for three nights. The guy onsite (not sure if he is the owner), Kenny G, seemed very helpful and offered us tours and gave us info about the area. The next morning we went out for a run where KennyG gave us a route to follow and (perhaps too naive) we went and then returned to our room to find $80US missing out of our bag (where we had reached for money to pay him the previous day in front of him). My purse on the bed was untouched luckily. Upset, we wanted to leave and were advised no refunds. KennyG acted very upset about the situation that this had happened and gave us $ to buy a new lock for our door. Expensive lesson learned: always provide your own lock and don't use the one on premise.

Other reasons not to stay: uncomfortable nearly broken bed, some critter was in the room and got into a ziploc of almonds I had, dirty sheets, etc. This was the only thing that ruined my trip and it was unfortunate this had to happen.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

I don't think there are building codes in Belize. If there are, this place sure didn't follow them. Aside from the obvious construction and "decorating" oddities. The hotel owner puts this place in the running for Ripley's Believe It or Not. Kenny, a.k.a. "Big Daddy" seems nice enough at first but wait...My friend and I were backpacking and looking for a cheap place to leave our stuff while we took a night tour of the ATM caves (reccommended). The bargain price of $25 BZ ($12.50 US) seemed like a good idea. When we got back from the tour at 2am my friend dropped his wallet getting out of the truck. Thinking he left it in the truck he went to the corner to flag down our guide to look for it while I got the gear together to take upstairs. Looking back on the situation, the local guy on the balcony saw an opportunity to make a quick buck. Apparently he saw someone pick "something" up from the street. Coincidentally, he knew the guy that picked it up. This is about the point where Big Daddy got involved. He approached us a concerned proprieter wanting to help. Of course, he needed assurances that a reward would be in it for him as well as his buddy that spotted the wallet and we can't forget the "crack head" that has the wallet. He didn't want to get a taxi, scale a fence in "crack town" and snatch this guy up to get the wallet back if there wasn't something in it for him. That wouldn't be entirely unreasonable if there didn't take an hour and a half to figure out that offerring $50 BZ was an insult and they wanted $400 US for their troubles. It seemed obvious that everyone was working together to scam the "rich Americans". They didn't seem to understand that if we were rich Americans, we wouldn't have been staying there. Once we settled on $300 US it took them all of ten minutes to come back with the wallet and another 30 minutes to figure out that without handing over the bank card in the wallet they couldn't get paid. Lesson learned on our part...you get what you pay for. If the room itself weren't bad enough, the "staff" made me not wish this place on my worst enemies. It was an expensive lesson and the four star San Ignacio Resort up the hill would have been a cheaper option.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends