“Don't expect too much, but Kenny is lovely” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Central O'tel

Central O'tel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Ignacio
Central O'tel
You added Central O'tel to your Saves list
P.O. Box 70 | # 24 Burns Ave, San Ignacio, Belize   |
Ranked #12 of 25 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
Stockholm
“Don't expect too much, but Kenny is lovely”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

This place is good value for money because it's so cheap. Not too clean and comfy, but Kenny is open about it and we had a great stay. Rooms are cleaner than bathrooms.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Really budget place but clean and the owner Kenny G tells you exactly what to expect when you arrive. The room had clean bedding, towels, soap provided, shared bathrooms with cold showers. It’s cheap at BZ$25 and we were entertained by Kenny G and his friends drinking rum on the terrace. We felt safe, had no problems with security in the room and booked our passage to Guatemala with Kenny G. We got picked up by a taxi and dropped off at the border. After crossing we got a collectivo to El Remate. It all worked somehow and was worth not having to get an early bus which would have been a bit cheaper. We enjoyed our stay and had an authentic San Ignacio stay! We visited the ruins at Xunantunich which were very quiet and really worth the visit.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I have no idea what any of these other folks are talking about I lent Kenny G 20BZD and he paid me the next morning first thing. I used the lock that was provided all nine nights I stayed there and would get KG to watch my room if I ran to the corner for smokes, never was anything stolen. I stayed at the o'tel two nights my first visit to san igancio and 7 nights my second visit about a week later then the first. The second time me and my buddy visited San Ignacio we were severely short on cash and Kenny G helped us with the room for a few nights till i got paid. The people I met throughout my 9 nights at the o'tel were the most interesting people I have met in my life, both locals and westerners living down there. But that's not to say this place is for the faint hearted, it is grimy and so are some of the people that you will meet there.

The location is great right in the centre of town and it has a sick balcony overlooking the main street. The 2 bed room was 12.50 american regardless of # of occupants. There is no constraints on you at this place you can do what ever you want although if your coming super later you gotta ring the door bell so he unlocks it. The room was clean and so was the bedding upon our initial arrival.

Honestly if your a hippie one world er your probably going to want to find somewhere else, that is to say the western San Ignacio residents I met there did not take kindly to the love everyone eco terrorist type mentality common in todays back packing community. I however felt right at home and it did make for great debates over bottles of rum.

If you want an air conditioned hotel room go somewhere else, if you want to really experience the people and real side of Belize the Central O'tel is a must. This place made my Belize trip.

I find it very difficult to believe these other reviews as I was shown the utmost hospitality by KG.

Dillon

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

We stayed here for two nights. Its cheap, clean with a shared bath. The Hotel is covered with post it notes telling you what not to do! Its a bit OTT. The the rooms next to the pub next door suffer from 20hr of loud music a day! If you like sleeping stay on the other side or down the street somewhere else. After chatting with the guy that runs the place 'Kenny G' we felt he had our best interests at heart. He did't he charged us $60B to get to the boarder including the Mini van on the other side! He ripped us off. It would have cost us only £8 to get to the boarder then a further $20B on the other side. OK hotel but don't trust the owner with travel plans or tour suggetions.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
New Berlin, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

We were looking for cheap and weren't afraid to be a little dirty and really experience Central America. We took a room and paid for three nights. The guy onsite (not sure if he is the owner), Kenny G, seemed very helpful and offered us tours and gave us info about the area. The next morning we went out for a run where KennyG gave us a route to follow and (perhaps too naive) we went and then returned to our room to find $80US missing out of our bag (where we had reached for money to pay him the previous day in front of him). My purse on the bed was untouched luckily. Upset, we wanted to leave and were advised no refunds. KennyG acted very upset about the situation that this had happened and gave us $ to buy a new lock for our door. Expensive lesson learned: always provide your own lock and don't use the one on premise.

Other reasons not to stay: uncomfortable nearly broken bed, some critter was in the room and got into a ziploc of almonds I had, dirty sheets, etc. This was the only thing that ruined my trip and it was unfortunate this had to happen.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

I don't think there are building codes in Belize. If there are, this place sure didn't follow them. Aside from the obvious construction and "decorating" oddities. The hotel owner puts this place in the running for Ripley's Believe It or Not. Kenny, a.k.a. "Big Daddy" seems nice enough at first but wait...My friend and I were backpacking and looking for a cheap place to leave our stuff while we took a night tour of the ATM caves (reccommended). The bargain price of $25 BZ ($12.50 US) seemed like a good idea. When we got back from the tour at 2am my friend dropped his wallet getting out of the truck. Thinking he left it in the truck he went to the corner to flag down our guide to look for it while I got the gear together to take upstairs. Looking back on the situation, the local guy on the balcony saw an opportunity to make a quick buck. Apparently he saw someone pick "something" up from the street. Coincidentally, he knew the guy that picked it up. This is about the point where Big Daddy got involved. He approached us a concerned proprieter wanting to help. Of course, he needed assurances that a reward would be in it for him as well as his buddy that spotted the wallet and we can't forget the "crack head" that has the wallet. He didn't want to get a taxi, scale a fence in "crack town" and snatch this guy up to get the wallet back if there wasn't something in it for him. That wouldn't be entirely unreasonable if there didn't take an hour and a half to figure out that offerring $50 BZ was an insult and they wanted $400 US for their troubles. It seemed obvious that everyone was working together to scam the "rich Americans". They didn't seem to understand that if we were rich Americans, we wouldn't have been staying there. Once we settled on $300 US it took them all of ten minutes to come back with the wallet and another 30 minutes to figure out that without handing over the bank card in the wallet they couldn't get paid. Lesson learned on our part...you get what you pay for. If the room itself weren't bad enough, the "staff" made me not wish this place on my worst enemies. It was an expensive lesson and the four star San Ignacio Resort up the hill would have been a cheaper option.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Raithlin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

Arrived In Belize from Mexico, skipped Belize CIty, everyone told me to, arrived in San Ignacio near the Guatemala Border, just after Christmas. Belize is such a culture shock after, Mexico, a virtual island in Latin America. Everone speak great English which is very helpful. Found myself looking for a hotel late at night, I picked the cheapest dorm room place I could find, unfortunately no one was at home, some mildy annoying local, helped to this place Central O'Tel, for reasons I will go into further (DON'T STAY HERE). Anyway the 3 days I spent in the town were very enjoyable. Visited the 2 temples one close to the town (Cathal Pech) and the other Xunatunich (much more impressive) near the town. The latter can be reached on the Benque bus BZ$ 1 each way 10km from the town. The second day went on a tour to ATM (Mayan Cave), used an operator, sorry can't remember his name, that has an office out of Casa Blanca on the main street in San Igancio, He was very good, Only charged US$65, where the other operators I tried wanted 10 dollars more. The tour guide was very knowledgable, usually does tours to Tikal, and excellent as our group only had three people and left early. We were first into the cave and got to walk through the clear water, unlike when leaving and the masses had churned up the slit. Recommend the tour, not mainly for the Mayan sacrifice sites but the caves are beautiful. Amazing formations and quite an adventure.

Anway getting back to the Central O'Tel. It seems to be one of the few places run by Kreoil people in the town the others seem to be Latino. Stange all the supermarkets in Belize are run by Chinese. It is such a cultural mix, was on a bus and this Mennonite guy behind was chatting in a Bob Marley accent. Even the Latinos speak English with a west indian accent. Back to the Hotel. The rooms were pretty shoddy, bed half broken and quite dirty but I could handle this as was US$10 a night, Belize is pricey. The first night was fairly uneventful. There was a cool rasta guy staying there, he runs a Banana Wine Company from it seems in room. He kept popping out of the room and playing a bongo drum, on the hotel balcony, when the brewing process was taking place. He gave away a few free bottles of his wine was really nice actually, Called Honey and Locust Banana Wine, look out for it if you are in San Ignacio, tasty, sweet, not strong at all.

Anyway, the second night I was in the hotel, turns out somebody went into the Wine makers room and pissed all over his stuff, and then tried to climb into bed with him, madness. The worst thoug was the shouting that went on for over an hour at 4 in the morning. Unbelievable. Not that the hotel owner said one thing about it in the morning. Well this guy the owner KennyG, he is called left a really bad taste in my mouth when leaving. The taxi driver told me it is a scam he does to tourists leaving his hotel. He first asks if you are coming back. If you say no he offers you a decent deal for getting to Flores, for US$17.50. He says his taxi guy will get you to the border and then he will have his guys waiting on the other side to take you to Flores. There is no other guys waiting at the border. He relies on the fact that the departure tax for Belize is almost US$20, so you wont be coming back to confront him. Annoying such a cheap and stupid shot. I mean I gave him my extra food when leaving even gave him the password of the internet place next door he could use on his computer. Anyway, even though that was [--], not going to let it spoil my trip to Belize a strange but cool country. Just DON'T STAY IN THE CENTRAL O'TEL.

Been to Central O'tel? Share your experiences!