“My personal favourite in Western Belize” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mahogany Hall Boutique Resort

You added Mahogany Hall Boutique Resort to your Saves list
Mahogany Hall Boutique Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Paslowfalls Road, Bullet Tree Falls Village | Bullet Tree Falls Village, San Ignacio 501, Belize   |
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in San Ignacio
Placencia, Belize
“My personal favourite in Western Belize”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

I live in Belize and travel extensively there. Mahogany Hall is an outstanding place to stay, combining quiet elegance with the kindness and warmth of great owners. I generaly choose a top floor room as I like the views over the river first thing in the morning, the stairs are a bit narrow and steep but the climb is worth it. The rooms are very large and beautifully appointed, with all the comfort you could wish including free wifi. The beds are huge and soft as clouds, I once shared the double with a girlfriend when we had a girls 'weekend there, and it was totally comfortable, we had acres of space each to stretch out. Would be great for a honeymoon as the room also has a shower and a jacuzzi.

Many Belizean hotels are let down by the food, but not Mahogny Hall, which offers beautifully cooked and presented meals with a local flavour, but with the hand of a decent chef very much in evidence.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms for ambience and view, but if you have trouble with stairs, choose a lower floor roo...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

The hotel is right on the banks of the river and it is beautiful. The rooms and big and spacious and so are the bathrooms. The french doors overlooking the verada are small and curtained so you don't get to appreciate the beautiful location as much sitting in the room but the veranda is nice. Rooms do not have telephone so if you are staying on the 3rd floor, be ready to go up and down the three flights of narrow (2.5 to 3 ft wide) staircase. Beds are big but it sinks in the middle so if you have a bad back, I would not recommend this place. Although everyone seems to try hard, especially the owners, the service was not your typical 5 star service. We were disappointed because it was not a luxury hotel that we were looking forward to staying in.

Room Tip: Don't pick third floor if you are not ready to go up and down the staircase. Make sure the bed...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

What a great boutique hotel with such lovely hosts. We spent a lot of time researching different hotels to stay at in the area. i'm so glad we ended up at MH. Food is awesome, our top floor, river view with balcony room was the best. Spacious, clean, quiet and great AC. Thank you Richard, Mary, Jonathan, and Chris. Your hospitality and graciousness really made our experience at your hotel THE BEST! (Jonathan: we mentioned to people we met in Amberguis Caye that we stayed at MH and they all knew you!)
THANKS again for making our memory of Belize such a great one.
-Roger and Kay from NJ

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Hereford, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

We never come to Belize without spending time at Mahogany Hall! The bar is created with mahogany walls and bar. The kitchen is right behind and watching the cooks create their delicious food is fun and reassuring that all is done with the utmost care and attention to detail and cleanliness! The dining room is open to the outside creating a cooling breese with the hypnotizing sound of the river right there! Mary, one of the owners and designer and builder of this incredible place, is welcoming and funny! Since we own our own place in Belize, we havn't stayed there, but go often for drinks, dinner and lively conversation.

This is a polished diamond and we highly recommend it to all our friends and to anyone traveling to Belize!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Jeffersonville, VT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Ok, so I travel in Central America a bunch. I'm either with my GF's, husband or both. I've been to Mahogany Hall with myself, the GF's and my husband. EVERYTIME I've been, it's improved and I LIKE IT A LOT! I don't return to places that don't meet my standards and I surely do not take family and friends for repeats if places don't meet my cut. The Rundown:

1) Everyone who knows me knows I'm a clean freak. I could eat off the floor. It isn't overly chemical either so my eyes didn't water once.
2) Everyone who knows me knows that I have an issue with beds. I only sleep on Tempurpedic products if I have a choice. NO NEED to worry at Mahogany Hall. The beds and pillows are hedonistically comfortable and the linens are beautiful, soft and clean. If my back wakes up happy, everyone is happy. Everyone was happy, especially me.
3) The Food: I'm picky as heck. Resident Foodie. I have learned there is no such thing as a bad meal at Mahogany Hall. Matteo is a great chef! Excellent Food takes time and price for value is a consideration. Trust me, we were all happy about the food and service. Great bar and dessert is a must. That gets better as well but I'm not sure what magic happens with so little room for being better. The chef's special is always a great bet. There is no lose at any meal.
3a) The Bar: Had everything we wanted. Juices were exceptionally fresh, seating available and comfortable, great liquor selection, food and drinks were better than some of the best SF, NOLA, Boston, DC and NYC upscale places in which I've stayed for business or pleasure .
4) Rooms: Every room or suite I've stayed in has been clean and quiet. I have ears like a bat. Nothing escapes my radar ears.The above regarding the beds, furnishings and linens applies.
5) I love the location! It's out of San Ignacio but I don't feel like I'm missing anything I don't want to miss. It's in Bullet Tree Falls Village. Beautiful River View, Local color, peaceful. Great Bird watching as well.
6) No one bugs you. The staff are more than attentive and anticipate guests' wishes quite well. It's great to have a well trained staff and it shows. Guests are priority one. Amazing I find in a service oriented business because that is often a misnomer.
7) We take trips on the side. They cost what they cost and are arranged so that the trip fits me or us, not a cattle car with a group that wouldn't mesh with us. That is not a pricey thing either.
I received what I paid for in spades.
8) House "pets": A few and they are wonderful and make it more like home. If you don't like them, they are not out to bother you. We liked them just fine but I swear they have radar too.

Overall, and once again, we had an excellent time. The amenities are of HIGH quality and the value for the dollar (or your currency) is well spent from room, to food, to ambiance to learning tours. *Value exceeds expectation.* It is that simple for me and it was for us. That does not change whether I go solo, with my husband or with the GF's and fam. I'd have to be dead to not enjoy it here. Actually, I would be dead if I couldn't love Mahogany Hall and not return. I'll be back again and for the foreseeable future. We ALL looked at each other and gave the thumbs up plus. With that many folk with me, I'd have expected a little flack (because they could!) and got NONE. So yes indeed I'll be back as a solo or with friends/family. It's a hugely gratifying experience to have a spot that tailors itself to you with excellence. It's worth every minute and not a minute of it is a waste. Thank you for a delicious and delightful time Mahogany Hall. I'll see you again SOON!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

Mahogany Hall was the most expensive hotel onour Guatemala/Belize tour and with it's adds website advertising massages/pedicures and nature walks with bird watching we were expecting a five star type hotel with spa and extensive grounds. We pulled up to a house far outside of town with 2 meters of lawn separating it from the dirt road with farm houses directly across. There were no grounds to speak of. We walked through the lobby which doubles as the covered dining room and past the small bar with the kitchen visible behind to a tiny reception desk. We sat down for drinks in front of the bar area to look over at the small pool two meters from where we were sitting. Our most expensive place on the trip had turned out to be a real dud.
We had booked the colonial suite for $595 with tax for 5 people. This turned out to be two rooms with one entrance connected by a staircase. There was a toilet and shower in one room and a toilet only in the other. There were no phones in the room and one old TV. There was air con in each room but our remote was missing in the upstairs room. The bed frames were beautifully carved wood frames, but the mattresses were a plastic basic mattress with a sheet overtop (not even a matters cover. And our sheets had cigarette like burn holes in them. The blankets were one sheet and a thin blanket. The first night we were hot and kept up by the dogs barking (the hotel owners house some old dogs in one room, but this may have been the farmhouse directly across with the barking dogs). The next night we used the downstairs remote to turn the AC on as a sound buffer but couldn't get it off of freezing and with the thin blanket we were really cold. The one shower in the room only had one temperature - extremely hot.
There is definitely no spa and the hotel is so far from town that you can't walk so it cost us $25 round trip to go to town. The outdoor only eating meant lots of bug bites. The pool which is awkwardly located in the middle of all the seating areas was only ever used by the owners old dog as a drinking pool (cause who's that confident to sit in front of everyone in their swimsuit). Coffee is served with powdered creamer instead of milk. There are no little touches like bed turn down service or bathrobes.
We of course complained that we did not feel like we were charged fairly for the room (even if we got 2 separate rooms we would have paid less and had 2 baths). The owner produced some sort of statement that we were overcharged $100 a night by our travel agent. When we called our travel agent she was able to show that this was not true. We also had to unfortunately call and complain about our disappointment with the room from just outside the main lobby/dining area as there were no private room phones. This made it kind of awkward.
The first day we booked an ATM tour (it's a famous cave) through the hotel and paid 110 per person. We found out that evening that the local tour shop only charges 85 per person but decided since we had already complained a bit that day to keep our mouths shut and just go. Our travel agent had advised us that since we had already paid for the room the only thing we could do at that point was try and negotiate some free meals. We talked to the owner Mary (the same one that had produced the fake statement). We were all very friendly and had a nice long conversation about her life etc before delicately broaching the subject). She agreed very kindly to a free dinner and complimentary breakfasts on our stay.
The next night we had our free dinner which consisted of one set menu with 3 courses (so if you didn't like it you paid for it). I didn't really want buttered shrimp, but ate it anyways and she even brought out some wine on the house. The next morning our complimentary breakfast menu was presented and it stated "choose from a selection of the following: 1. 2 boiled eggs. 2. 2 slices of toast with butter and jam. 3. Fresh fruit plate 4. Corn flakes with banana slices 5. Oatmeal with raisins.
When we ordered the one lady that did breakfast (ordering and cooking) took our order disapeared into the kitchen for a couple of minutes then took the next tables order then disappeared for 40 min and came out with the next tables breakfast. After an hour our transport came for our tour and we didnt get breakfast. Not so complimentary. The next day we did order that complimentary fruit which consisted of less than half a kiwi, 3 small papaya slices and half a banana.
We also asked the hotel to call us a cab the second day and after waiting 30 min we asked what was happening and they stated we hadn't asked for a cab before. We asked them to call us a cab again and one finally came after another 30 min. We also ordered drinks that evening and had the same experience where we were told we didn't order it after waiting a while.
The final issue for us was the transport to our next hotel which was arranged by Mohagany Hall. They hired us a van from town for $250. When we checked with the van companies in town they charged anywhere from $100-$150. When we asked the hotel why we were being charged so much and if they could produce a statement of how much they were paying the van company and how much was their overhead they refused. That day we met the other owner (Mary's partner) and complained about the overcharge to him. That night our travel agent called us in a panic because Mary had called her threatening to kick us out of the hotel and move us to another hotel of her choosing if we didn't stop complaining to the other guests and staff. We never did complain to the other guests unless you count overheard phone calls. We did ask one family we befriended how much they paid for their room, but that's it! The car trip which we were originally told was a 25% cancellation fee all of a sudden could not be canceled.
For the next 2 days we spent as little time as possible in the hotel and tried not to speak to anyone.
We felt bullied manipulated lied to and cheated at this hotel. We are a very well traveled family and have never experienced anything like this. I recommend staying anywhere else!!

• Stayed January 2012
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

We came to Mahogany Hall on Honeymoon. This was our first 'proper' hotel after 48 hours of travelling from Ireland. It was like an oasis in a desert. Beautiful location, wonderful service...we were looked after from the moment we walked in the door...My wife and I even got a hug when we walked in the door! :)

The food is beautiful...the guys behind the bar are charming and friendly...they go to every effort to make your stay comfortable...

The tours were great fun too. I cant recommend Diego the tour guide highly enough. He is a gentleman, a scholar and a lovely man...He knows absolutely EVERYTHING about Belize. The wildlife, the history, the topograpy, the FUN!....and so enthusiastic!...He made our trips even more enjoyable...I would go back to Belize just to see that man!

In three words? GO GO GO!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple