“Great Food, Great People, Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Mile 59 Western Hwy - General Delivery, San Ignacio, Belize   |
Special Offer
BUCKY BADGER PHOTO
New Brunswick, New Jersey
“Great Food, Great People, Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

Lower Dover was the best part of my stay in Belize this time around. I was apart of the BVAR archaeology field school and we stayed multiple places in San Ignacio as well as Lower Dover. I get to spend the most time at LD and it was the best part of the trip. The swimming hole, the food and the community 'hang-out' huts were what put this place at the top of the list. Thank you Bill, Maddy & Justin for your service during my time in the jungle!
-Ryan

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
skillman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

The food was amazing and fresh. The hosts were very accomdating and friendly. This is the true jungle experience, with luxuries.

• Stayed July 2010
Corona, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

Lower Dover is an amazing site. The rooms are about a mile from mayan ruins, and not even a 2 minute walk from the swimming creek. The jungle is purely amazing. There are a plethora of various animals you will experience. I definitley reccomend it.

• Stayed July 2010
San Ignacio, Belize
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

Bill, Maddie and Justin are the perfect hosts who were concerned making sure we were taken care of. They are excellent cooks using foods to create fabulous menus. They take care of the cabanas and rooms so I could feel clean after a day of hot jungle work. I would recommend this place to anyone, or maybe not- I would like to keep it a secret!

Amherst, MA.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

When I arrived in San Ignacio, Belize I had a very hard time adjusting. I went to Lower Dover 2 days in and I ended up having the time of my life. Bill and Maddy's food has yet to be topped after a week and a half in Cayo, and their hospitality was the perfect remedy for my home-sickness. I would recommend Lower Dover to any traveler's who are looking for a little bit of adventure, there's no better way to experience the jungle than one of their cozy well kept clean cabana's. I think Lower Dover is especially ideal for students. If I come back to Belize Lower Dover is the first place i'm staying!

Merced, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

I just spent a month at Lower Dover, (June '10) and I plan on going back for another month next week. I have been working at an archaeological field school there, the Belize Valley Archaeological Reconn Project, and the Maya site we worked at is right on the field station grounds. The cabins are typical jungle accommodations, but the food cooked by Bill and Maddie is amazing, the rates are very low, and the creek is great for an afternoon swim. I will be back every summer for the next 3 years at least. If you are in Unitedville, check it out. It's great.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Tarrytown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

I went here for an archaeological dig program, BVAR, and this was a typical day. Everyday we would hike through the jungle to work hard at our digging units to uncover the secrets the Mayans have painted their unknown history with. Our friendly dog friends would religiously accompany us without fail. When the sun peeked we would head in for our two hour break which we then jumped into the swimming hole. This place you can only describe with two words. Forest Fairy. It's like a scene right out of a fairy tale and you can feel the utmost serenity here. My personal favorite in all of Belize. Then it's lunch... I can't even express with words how amazing the food was.The food is HEAVENLY! Absolutely wonderful food, compliments to Bill and Maddy who were phenomenal hosts. Then we would swim some more and head back to our units. We dig til early evening, shower, change and wait impatiently for delicious meal time. Night falls and the games begin. Since town is very unsafe Bill and Maddy provide our source of liquid courage and have ourselves a good time. We wake up and start the whole lovely amazing cycle once more. I love this place with a passion and it will always be in my heat <3 I recommend it to anyone with a sense of adventure. Three thumbs up

• Stayed June 2010

Been to Lower Dover Field Station and Eco Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!