“boy did we score!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 26 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
sjfxoxo
“boy did we score!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

I ran into the Macaw Bank Jungle Lodge accidentally online while desperately searching for a descent, reasonably priced, last minute rustic place removed from the tourist scene. I couldn't have been happier with what I found! It was EXACTLY what I was looking for...and then some. What else can I say...the grounds are beautiful, peaceful, wonderful. Ron and Al are wonderful hosts, always ready to offer valuable recommendations (thank goodness they recommended San Pedro instead of where we were originally gonna go on the cost...we loved it there too) and whip up fantastic meals. Their warmth and hospitality, not to mention great sense of humor, made us feel completely at home...in the jungle. My only regret is not staying longer!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Boston, MA USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

Ron and Al carefully planned and executed their vision -- literally creating a masterpiece in the Belizean jungle. You'll know you are almost here when you pass through the orange/grapefruit grove. In keeping with the jungle atmosphere cabanas are furnished in rustic yet artistic and comfortable style -- with hot water and spacious decks. The sights and sounds of the jungle are intoxicating. If that isn't enough, genial bar service is available. Meals are outstanding. Nicely spaced cabanas and the bar/restaurant/social center occupy only a small fraction of the expansive property. Seldom-visited Mayan ruins are a 1/2 hour walk away. It is an easty stroll to the river for soaking and sunning. The grounds have plenty to see and experience, from the pet toucan, orchids, inviting hammocks, and identified native plants/trees along the trails, Starry nights spectacular. Ron, Al and their friendly staff are never too busy to answer a question. Tubing and unique tours are yours for the asking; ask and it shall be arranged. Macaw Bank Jungle Lodge is a superb place to stay and experience all that the Cayo area of Belize and Eastern Guatemala have to offer. Yes, I'd like another Belikan with that por favor.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2008

WOW! This place is amazing! My husband and I honeymooned at the Macaw Bank Lodge and had the most incredible time! First, Ron and Al are the most wonderful, fun, kind, and knowledgeable hosts. The meals at the lodge are out of this world -- and I mean that! We felt like we were dining like kings there! Ron and Al were great company in the morning during breakfast and at night after dinner (we had so much fun talking to them), and they provided us with much information about Belize and the sites that we should see. Second, the cabins are beautiful and fun to stay in. Without electricity, you really feel like you are in the jungle! At night it gets dark and all the stars in the sky can be seen. It's magical. It is so quiet there that birds and animals can be heard at all times (we heard a jaguar but did not see one -- and that was enough for me!) Overall, this place is out of this world. Our entire time there was fun, exciting and adventurous. If you are going to Belize for a trip, you MUST go to Macaw Bank! As Ron and Al say, "You're gonna like it (t)here!" --- Trust me, they aren't kidding!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Bullet Tree, Cayo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

I live in the Cayo area and have known Ron and Al for over a year. They invited me out today and I must say the gounds are beautiful and the food excellent. It is a great get away to experience the jungle, river and the stars. I would reccommend Macaw Bank to everyone that wanted a relaxed time in Belize with good food and good company.

• Stayed December 2008
Cheyenne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

This was the second time I was to the Eco-lodge. The hosts were just as warm and friendly, the food was just as great, the grounds were just as beautiful as the first time.

The first night of my stay was accompanied by a brief thunderstorm and rain. After the flash and boom, the thunder rolled around the sky. Then the rain came down in torrents. It's hard to tell when it stops raining in the jungle, as the vegetation drips for a long time after the rain stops. Then the frogs start their choruses. It's hard to imagine how small these guys are when you hear how much of a racket they make. Those were just my thoughts as I was lulled into one of the most peaceful sleeps I have had in a long time. No cell phone waking me in the middle of the night or early morning. Only natural sounds of the jungle.

The next morning, I arose and went for coffee and a pleasant breakfast with the hosts, Ron and Al. There was little evidence of the rain the night before, as the jungle can take care of itself. We discussed the possible activities for the day. There was hiking and adventuring on the property and numerous chances to view the tropical species of animals and plants. The birdwatching is awesome and I was able to add many species to my life list, even the Toucan that the hosts raised from a small rejected nestling. Tubing down the Macal river, or just anchored stationary is a great way to while away some very serious recuperative time. If I wanted, I could visit any of the Mayan ruins nearby, or canoe into some of the caves that held relics of the past cultures. I became very attached to a hammock on the grounds, as I was finally able to read, nap, read, daydream, read, nap as I wanted. Thank you, Ron and Al, for building such a beautiful, peaceful, private haven away from the rest of the crazy world.

• Liked — Jungle vistas
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2008

We stayed at Macaw Bank Jungle Lodge and were amazed at what a wonderful adventure we experienced. I never imagined that the sights and sounds of the jungle were so awesomely strange, the insects, birds, widlife, and rain on the roof. The property in situated on the Macal River where we tubed to the Botanical Grdens, what a relaxing day it was floating on the river and seeing birds and iguanas sunning themselves. The gardens were filled wih indigenous medicanal plants.The birds we saw on the proerty were stunning as well as the Toucan. The hosts were most helpful and friendly as was the staff. The food was also deliciously prepared all homemade using locally grown food. The property in convenientluy located so you can reach many sites in a short time. Our overall expeience was awesome and cannot wait to return to Belize and especially Maca Bank Jungle Lodge.

• Liked — the peaceful and convenient location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

Amazing location deep in the Jungle. Cant begin to to say how special this place is.
Beutifull river beach, Jungle trails and Mayan sites all within treking distance.
Ron and Al greated us with such warmth that it felt like we had known them for years.
Even though we had made no booking the Cabana were imaculately turned out and the home cooked food was delicious.
Sleeping in the Jungle is one amazing experience.
I will never forget my stay there with my friends .

• Liked — the hosts
  • Disliked — nothing