“best tour in belize - ATM” 5 of 5 stars

Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Hobart, Australia
6 attraction reviews
“best tour in belize - ATM”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

was strange to read such bad reviews of these guys, cause I wouldn't recommend anyone better. And I think a few people are confused of who owns/runs the company. Yes you are not allowed to take photos now, cause some idiot tourist dropped is camera on a skull and damaged it. The rule has been put in place by the government. To be honest I think it was better with out 50 peoples camera flashes going off everything 5 seconds, I think this would spoil the whole experince completely.
We had Aaron as our guide, outstanding guy. Double the time in the cave then any other company, We entered the cave at the same time as 2 other companies, As we were just getting to the dry cave the other guys were already on their way out. I would be pissed if I were the other guys and realised how little time they spend compared to us.
Atm cave was amazing, even with out the artifacts the cave is very impressive and fun.
Get in while you can be for the government put a total ban on the site.

Visited November 2012

London
“ATM Caves - Trip highlight. Awesome experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

As mentioned in other reviews Jimmy is a salesman, however, this company made me feel safe, valued and made this tour an absolute highlight of my trip. My guide was Aaron. He was increadibly knowledgable and took his time. They earned their fee and I happily tipped more. We were in the caves far longer than other tour groups who were rushed passed us both ways. We had people in our group who were nervous of heights and confined spaces and within minutes, everyone was so relaxed that we took the hardest options and had a ball! Without exception everyone in our group were singing the praises of this company on our exit. Aaron was very aware of what everyone in our group was doing and was quick to jump in to assist a tourist whose tour guide was not as professional.
We were advised early that we were not able to take photos and given a valid reason. (Another tourest had badly damaged an important artifact in the cave. After seeing the damage I agree with this ban.)
If you are looking to take a tour of the ATM caves, I would absolutely recommend that you use this company. You will not be dissappointed.

Visited November 2012
Nuremberg, Germany
54 attraction reviews
“Cool place, but the company can do better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I think the place is overpriced, I paid 95USD, but it was Christmas, so I guess the extra 10 are ok for the trouble. Still, they dont let people make pictures, even thou they didnt said anything before leaving until we mentioned it. This ruins the experience and gives a bad after taste, I think its ok to take care of the skulls by not letting people get to close with the camera (they say that its because some turist dropped his on a skull and broke 2 tooth, they blame another camera for a damage in another skull also) but on the cave is necesary?

Our tour guide had a little talk with us after he discovered we snuggled a camera and were taking photos at the cave, not the skulls, and didnt spoke afterwards anymore.

Ignoring the people and just considering the place, I have made several other caves, but in this one there is water involved and mayan culture which was a cool experience, thats why I give it 4 stars.

TL;DR - Pretty cool place, shame we couldnt take photos openly.

Visited December 2012
mayawalktours, Manager at Mayawalk Tours, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
I was totally surprise when I read this review. In May of 2012, a customer did the ATM tour with another company. While viewing the Maya Artifacts in the dry chamber his camera fell and broke one of the skulls. Immediately the archaeology department and the government of Belize got involve and decided to ban cameras. We do not have control of this new policy and it is unfortunate. These artifacts are priceless and in reality they are about fourteen hundred years of age. It was not surprising that cameras have been banned. I can understand why some clients are disappointed but the good is paying for the bad. When I speak to clients I provide a thorough description of the ATM cave. As part of my presentation I mention to them that cameras are not allowed. It is really surprising that clients will come on trip advisor and try to demise a company when they knew before going on the tour that cameras are not allowed. Once again it is another unfair review.
Bellmore, New York
29 attraction reviews
“Scary company!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Signed up for a cave tubing tour. Was taken to the cave to find out that there was a flash flood warning and the cave was closed. Guide still wanted to take us in! Guards told us that ALL tour companies were notified and that ours had done things like this before and that we would not be allowed onto the site. Owner wouldn't give us our money back, blaming us for the flash flood warning. What a waste of time and money!

Visited December 2012
mayawalktours, Front Office Manager at Mayawalk Tours, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
I have been working at Mayawalk for thirteen years and we do things very professionally, methodically and with the presence of keeping every single client completely safe. In the rainy season, naturally river systems goes up...caves do get flooded. At each wet cave the archaeology department assigns park rangers. These rangers install markers...when the water reaches a certain point on the marker, then these wet caves are closed. It is a consistent, standard procedure. In the rainy season I call these rangers every morning to access the water level. We do not waist clients time by driving to these sites then have them turn back because the cave is close. Furthermore we are a very genuine company. When a customer book a tour/service with Mayawalk, they rec'd an official receipt my from me. Said receipt has a Mayawalk stamp along with my signature. Whenever a wet tour gets cancel because of flooding we do not take a single penny from our customers. In fact they rec'd their money back in full. We epitomize what professionalism and genuine traits are all about.
6 attraction reviews
“Annoying owner, amazing guide”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Like some of the earlier review, the owner, Jimmy, is definitely a salesman. He is very aggressive with his sale strategy. He also own a restaurant, and a Guesthouse. Beware that he charges people on the same tour different prices. He surely know How to do business, for example, he would ask people to Come for a n information session the night before , But What he is after is getting people to eat at his restaurant by hosting the info session.

Anyway, regardless of the owner, the tour and my guide, Aaron Juan, are both amazing. During my time in the ATM cave, I saw other tour are just rushing to finish the cave; however, Aaron would stop at explain in detail at every point of interest. We were one of the first group to go in, and last to get out.