“Less than desirable” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Super Palm Resort

Save Saved
You added Super Palm Resort to your Saves list
Super Palm Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Mile 46.5 Western Highway | Mile 46.5 Western Highway, Belmopan, Belize   |
Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Belmopan
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Less than desirable”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

I very rarely ever leave a negative review on places I stay. But since I rely heavily upon Trip Advisor when I choose accommodations, I feel like I should be totally honest so that others know what they are getting into with this place.

First of all, the name 'resort' is most misleading. We are NOT resort-goers, so to speak, so I'm not basing my review on those standards, just making it clear that it is far from the connotation of the word 'resort'.

This place pretty much looks like someone's house in the middle of a pasture.. It is a beautiful setting in it's own right, but one needs to have the right picture of what they are going to find. It is a few miles from the actual town of Belmopan ('maybe' 4-5 mi) so if you have a car, it will work ok for you.

Buried in their website there is something about transportation costs into town (under the link 'touring/rental fees', at the bottom of the page) Since we had our own guide we had arranged some day trips with and we weren't planning on using their 'tour' services, I didn't think to even look at that link... I had emailed previous to our stay and was told 'we drive our guests to town as often as needed'.. NO mention at ALL about cost... My mistake, I suppose for not being more specific.. The cost for that service is beyond outrageous. It was going to cost us $40 RT for 2 of us just to go a few miles into town and back. We opted to catch a ride into town on the highway and rode the bus back.

The rooms are VERY small and no place to even sit your luggage. I don't like to put mine on the floor so it was an issue for me. NO counter space whatsoever in the bathroom. The accommodations are pretty sad and tired looking as well.. the bathroom left quite a bit to be desired.

The breakfast was 'ok' but nothing to rave about. Also I felt that we were beyond overcharged for what we got. I've had beachfront island accommodations for less. Our bill for 2 nights came to $187.00. Ridiculous.

The receptionist was very kind and sweet to us; however, she was fairly rude to our guide who was helping us to bring our things into our room. He came back to pick us up the next day and she was rude again. I felt really bad about that since he is a wonderful and kind man.

There really aren't any what I would call 'decent' accommodations in Belmopan. We checked out quite a few in the area for a future tour group and we will stay at the Black Orchid Resort. MUCH nicer accommodations.

61 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

Super Palm Resort was one of the highlights of our stay in Belize. If you like the Holiday Inn, this is not the place for you. But for people like us who hate impersonal chain hotels (and that beige stucco they all seem to be made of), this was exactly what we wanted: someplace comfortable, clean, unique, fun, and memorable.

Super Palm Resort is off the Western Highway, just outside of Belmopan. (It's easy to find - it's right off the main road, and well-marked.) It's on a gravel road all by itself, in open countryside with palm trees and other native plants and trees, and a couple of palupas (thached structures) -- the place has a rustic beauty. The hotel part of the building has nice rooms along a tiled hallway. The rooms are small, but not too small. We found our bed very comfortable, with plenty of pillows. There's air conditioning.

We spent most of our time at the hotel in the patio, which is a wood-frame structure attached to the main lodging -- it's an open-air patio, but with netting to keep out the bugs. (I found the reviewer apsb's description of the patio as "a small place with plastic chairs and tables on a concrete floor, all protected by a net" to be deeply misleading. Yes, the patio has a concrete floor and is protected by netting -- thank God, given the bugs in Belize -- and there are some plastic chairs next to the many wooden tables and formal dining chairs. But take a look at the picture, and you will see it's far from the dismal place that apsb's description would indicate.) We ate all of our dinners there (the food at the Super Palm was so good and varied, we didn't feel the need to try to find good dinner restaurants in Belmopan) and watched movies there at night.

The Super Palm has a free wireless Internet connection, which works both in the rooms and on the patio. Several people staying at the Super Palm chose it because it's apparently hard to get good Internet (and even harder to get free Internet) in hotels in inland Belize -- even in Belmopan, which is the capital!

Kathy and Bob, the owners, prepare breakfast and dinner (though you don't have to eat there if you don't want to). Their food is GREAT, the best I had in Belize. And they'll prepare whatever you want (they'd ask us in the morning what we'd like for dinner, and offer a dizzying number of alternatives), and they'll fit dinner to your schedule -- as long as they know you will be eating with them that night, they'll fix dinner for you whenever you get in, even if it's late. Breakfast is $5 U.S., for which you get a main course (eggs, French toast, etc.) and fruit. You can also get yummie fruit smoothies for a minimal cost. Dinner entrees run about $15 U.S. They have beer and probably other alcohol too.

They show movies on a projection screen in the patio after (or during) dinner, which we thought was a really fun touch. They also have a billiards/pool table and board games. They have a above-ground swimming pool, though we didn't swim on this trip. They also have two parrots!

Kathy and Bob are incredibly hospitable, and go out of their way to make sure that everything is right for you.

Belize is pretty small, so the Super Palm was close to everything we wanted to see on the mainland. While we stayed there, we visited both the eastern side of the country and the western side, all the way to the coast, and we didn't feel like we spent too much time driving. It's much better than staying in Belize City, where comparably priced places are not as nice and the neighborhoods are MUCH sketchier.

There were only a couple of things that weren't so great (but, obviously, did not dissuade us from staying three nights there):

The rooms have what my husband call "the smell of the tropics" - Belize is hot and humid most of the year, so everyplace has a mildew smell. (We experienced the same thing in our room on Ambergris Caye, and we were staying in a hotel on the beach that cost twice as much as the Super Palm.) But the air conditioning helps a lot, and I didn't notice the smell much after the first night. My husband wasn't bothered by it at all.

The bathroom experience leaves a little to be desired. The bathroom is pretty to look at --clean and nice decorated. However, the water pressure in the shower is terrible, and the drains can be slow. (The drain was much better after my husband banged on it with his hand.) At least in Room #4's bathroom, there's also no real place to put your toiletry kit, other than on the lid of the toilet (or, if you have a very small one, jammed in next to the plant on the stand). They could use a couple of shelves in the bathroom.

The air conditioning comes from window units, which are loud. So if you can't sleep with noise (even if it's white noise), bring earplugs. Neither of us had any problem sleeping, though - me because pretty much nothing keeps me awake, and my husband because he wore his earplugs.

I highly recommend the Super Palms Resort.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

My wife and I spent three nights at the Super Palm Resort. The open air patio/dining area was exactly what you would expect in a rustic jungle setting. It "fit" the surroundings. The owners catered to our food requests and the meals were terrific! The rooms were not large but we were not cramped. The location was close to all of the activities we planned. All in all we had a very positive experience.

Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

When our travel plans fell through we were looking for a place near Belmopan to continue our journey. We fell upon this site and booked our 3 days in that area and arrived shortly thereafter. Just to the north outside Belmopan on the Wester Hwy (heading towards Belize City) we saw the turnoff and drove back to Super Palms. It's located out of the city in a nice quiet area surrounded by lots of acreage for privacy. Our room was nicely accomodated, the AC felt fantastic in the Belize heat! The owner Kathy went out of her way and was exceptionally gracious to any question or situation we had. And her family, who also help out, were much the same fashion - all extremely polite and helpful. There is a large netted room (to keep out any insects but to enjoy the nice Belize breezes) where meals were served, a pool table sat for playing, and in the evening we were treated to a movie on a projection screen - we were even able to play ones from our laptop! The high speed internet (wireless) was nice to have as well, to research new trip locations or keep up with family / friends. We had a great time, and had a great time with Kathy and her family. We truly enjoyed our stay!

Guatemala
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

The plan with my family was to be some days in Placencia to travel around the beaches and the cayes. And then, we wanted to spend a weekend in Belmopan to get around the Blue Hole, the Zoo and Belize City. I reserved a great hotel in Placencia with a swimming pool for my two year old son. For Belmopan I did not had many choices, but found the links for the Super Palm Resort. There are not many pictures of the "Resort", but you can see one in which there is a beautiful bedroom, with comfortable pillows, white linens, and exotic flowers and fruits. Some of the services that are offered are: outdoor pool, business center, TV with DVD players. I liked what I saw so I booked it for 3 nights. What a mistake.
When we arrived in Belmopan, not a single person had heard about the Resort. Finally we found it following the miles on the highway. We were surprised to see a small house near a football terrain. The pool is a small concrete container of water. The business center and restaurant occupy a small place with plastic chairs and tables on a concrete floor, all protected by a net. The room we were given had no TV, no hot water, and the bed linens looked old. We were so disapointed that we could not sleep that night. We left the next day to a real Resort, a well known hotel in Belize City, where the price of a room is the same than the offered on the Super Palm.
The Super Palm is owned by a family. It's admirable to have a family business, but I strongly recommend the owners to show the reality. It is a small hotel, not a resort. I know that many tourists like this kind of place to stay. Owners should show more pictures of the real place. Unfortunely my camera broke on our trip, I have no pics of the hotel. Please, be careful with the internet: not everything that shines is gold.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

We stayed at the Super Palm for 3 nights in March 2009. The hosts are spectacular. Very friendly, helpful and accommodating. The rooms were OK, nothing special but one has to remember you are in Belize. We had a slight problem with the hot water but it was addressed right away. In our travels around Belize we found it hard to get good food. The food there was great, Belize home cooking! We loved waking up to the natural jungle sounds in the morning!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

We spent our first night in Belize at the Super Palm Resort. It was exactly what we needed to unwind after a long day of travel. The setting is so peaceful and the rooms are welcoming and very homey. But perhaps the most outstanding asset is Kathy, the co-owner and our host. Her soft and pleasant mannerism and wanting us to feel comfortable were the signature attributes of our stay. And, the breakfast she fixed was yummy!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Super Palm Resort? Share your experiences!