“Jaguar Paw...it no longer exists” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jaguar Paw

You added Jaguar Paw to your Saves list
Jaguar Paw
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Off Mile 37, Western Highway | by the Caves Branch River, Belmopan, Belize   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Belmopan
Montreal
“Jaguar Paw...it no longer exists”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

This "review" is more than a year late, but while browsing the site, I decided to post. I don't know if its reflected in the guidebooks yet, but the hotel at the Jaguar Paw location is closed and no longer exists.
No sign, nothing. This created quite a bit of confusion for us.
The guidebooks (at least last year) gushed about Jaguar Paw and described it as a great place to begin a cave-tubing trip. The hotel has since closed, but the LOCATION is still loosely called Jaguar Paw adding to the confusion. A few hundred meters before the defunct hotel, there is a whole set-up to do the cave tubing thing, guides/equipment/etc, but no hotel.
Theres also no sign on the main road indicating "Jaguar Paw" or "Cave Tubing". We stopped 4 times to ask locals where Jaguar Paw was and passed the turn-off 3 times before we got it right. Even then, we weren't certain we had the right path until seeing the cave-tubing site. Again maybe this has changed since last year.
We talked about our difficulties with our tubing guide. He said he was going straight home to paint a sign and post it on the main road. I'm curious if anything was done.

As a side note, our guide asked if we knew how the place got its name. He said during construction, workers poured a concrete floor and left for the day. Next morning, jaguar prints were found in the cement, now set and hardened.

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

San Ignacio, Belize
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

We just took a student group to JP for a day, and had the chance to eat at their restaurant. They gave us a good price on the food, and the rice and beans with chicken was quite good. The problem was the smell that was in the restaurant and the main reception area. It smelled like urine, everywhere. I had one student that owns a clothing store say that if she had that smell in her store, that she wouldn't open. It was horrible!

I checked the bathroom, and it smelled fine; no runover smell. Ironic that the bathroom smelled better. If it wasn't for all of us having a great sense of humor, we'd have had a bad time. But due to the amount of jokes at the hotels expense, we ended up having a fun...no, funny, time. "Can you serve me my food in the bathroom?" was a good one. As was, "Where is the bathroom, or is it everywhere?"

Now the prices for drinks were the worst. $4 for a Sprite was despicable. I can understand them being pricey, but that is over the top. We didn't stay the night, and I can guarantee that I never would.

• Stayed May 2010
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

We were going to stay at Jaguar Paw for two days and then go to Ambergris Caye. We loved Jaguar Paw so much that we never left. It was myself, my best friend and her 13 year old son. The people were so amazing, the food was great and the animals on the property were the highlight of the trip. Lucky the dog, hung with us for our entire stay. We loved this place so much, we are going to make it a yearly thing. Why would you need to go anywhere else when everything that you could want to do is right at Jaguar Paw???
WE LOVE JAGUAR PAW!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

I want to start by saying this place has some potential to be an amazing place but it needs to have some time and money invested first.

The Jaguar Paw is located at the end of a dirt road right in the heart of some beautiful tropical flora. My wife and I had a rental vehicle for our stay in Belize and had no problems finding the place and the first impression on arriving at the lodge was very positive.

The staff was very friendly and very helpful which is pretty representative of most of the people we met in Belize. The hotel was fairly quiet when we were there so we spent lots of time chatting with the bartenders and staff about life in general. The food in the restaurant is average for quality. The tres leches cake was incredible and the breakfasts were good and filling (make sure to order Fry Jacks with your breakfast). Overall though the food and drinks were expensive compared to everywhere else in Belize we stayed, but somewhat understandable when you realize it would take extra time and effort to bring everything to the lodge.

The location couldn’t be better for the tours. We wanted to do the ATM cave tour but it was flooded due to heavy rains, so you can’t blame them that, just bad timing on our part. We did the cave tubing which was pretty cool. Our guide was excellent and very informative. One recommendation is to go first thing in the morning (like 8am). It is a bit cooler in temperature, but big bus loads of people (from the cruise ships) start showing up a few hours later and then the caves turn into a mass of people. When we did the Crystal cave tubing, there was only me, my wife, the guide, and the German Shepard dog that follows you everywhere. It was definitely worth waking up early to beat the rush. If you have a vehicle or pay for the tour, the Belize zoo is pretty close to the lodge and is well worth the time. Also driving into Belmopan and walking around the market was easy, safe, and worth it for some of the local food.

The downside to the hotel is really the rooms themselves. I mean no personal offense to the owner who I believe did the decorating, but the brothel/Moulin Rouge theme room we had was so tacky and out of place we actually avoided being in it as much as possible. The lodge would be SO much nicer if the rooms were just tastefully decorated with some simple locally made furnishings and were a bit more bright and airy. Also the bed was quite uncomfortable and 2 nights of our stay I received numerous mysterious bug bites at night all over my body. Granted we are staying at a jungle lodge, so it may not be fault of the lodge, but these bites only happened in bed while we were sleeping.

One other thing that bothered my wife and myself was seeing one of the staff walking a coati (like a raccoon and there are number on the property). It was on a leash and the guy walking it was dragging it and smacking it because it wasn’t cooperating. Once again not really the fault of the lodge itself but seeing that really left a bad taste.

The room price we paid was more or less fair for what we got, but I would be prepared to pay more if the rooms were redone/updated/etc.

Overall we enjoyed staying here because of the setting and location, but the lodge itself was not a place I would stay at again, unless there were some changes made to the accommodations.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

I have visited Jaguar Paw for over 15 years. It just gets better. It is a quick flight from Houston and in an hour you feel like you are in the Amazon,but with air conditioned comfort. I travel all over the world, and I know how hard it is to run a top notch lodge in remote areas. Each room is decorated differently and they represent something in Belize that is either ecological or historical. From the minute you step into the reception and see the bar and restaurant you know you have found something wonderful. Now there is a Jacuzzi and repelling. I always take a long hike along the trails in the jungle and there are some great places to swim in the crystal clear river. I used to stay in a lot of different places, but if you are visiting anything around the main Western Highway, you can do day trips from here. Kids love it. They can run and swim and play with the Kinkajoos at night. Guests are always on an excursion, so the days are quiet around the lodge. I just got back from a month in Africa and immediately went there for R&R. There are hand painted murals of the Maya in the main lodge and many of the rooms have murals painted by local artists.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

My husband and I originally had intended on staying in another jungle resort, but when we arrived at our original destination didn't feel welcomed, so we just left and headed back to the sign we had passed advertising Jaguar Paw. Locating it down the dirt road off the main road was difficult, we later learned someone keeps tearing down their direction signs. Although we arrived without reservations, and during a private party for dignitaries, including the US ambassador to Belize, for the support of the Belize Zoo, we were welcomed. We were even invited to join the magic show and party. The resort is beautiful, and you feel like you are miles from civilization, although you are very close to the Belize Zoo, several local restaurants (although the resort food is wonderful and reasonable) and a great local art boutique. The Caves Branch cave tubing operation is located on their property. The cottages are not five star, but are comfortable. The pool and hot tub are beautiful and exotic, especially at night. The owner is such a nice person, and seemed sincerely interested in making sure we enjoyed our stay. We were touring around Belize on our own, and had originally planned on staying only one night, but we like the location and hotel so much we stayed two nights. Our only complaint is that we are early risers and the restaurant didn't open until about 9 and there was no in room coffee maker (very few of these anywhere in Belize!) so we had to wait for our coffee. Belize is such a laid back country we learned most people don't get going before nine am! Overall, we will certainly go back to Jaguar Paw, as we try to go to Belize at least once a year.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Wherever I happen to be
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

Jaguar Paw Lodge is the originator of cave tubing and zipline excursions in Belize and is in need of your help!!

Donna Wilson started Jaguar Paw over 14 years ago, she has made this lodge one of the highest rated lodges in Belize during this time. Over the past year she has been attacked on all sides by unscrupulous business man David Gegg and his cronies in the government. Unknown persons have poisoned her animals (one was a rescued Howler monkey named Gumbo who died in her arms while vomiting blood. His autopsy showed he was poisoned!!) These persons have also dumped oil into her water features and killed the wildlife that inhabited these ponds.

Over the past 6 years we have gotten to know Donna Wilson pretty well and she is a truly giving and caring person who has done much for the country of Belize, its people, and the environment. She needs help though from her fellow americans who have or will visit Belize this year. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not go to Belize and utilize ANY services offered by David Gegg or any of his subsidiaries. BOYCOTT him and tell whatever cruise line you use to do the same. Help Donna now, tell your trip organizers that you refuse to go on cave tubing, zipline, atv, or any other excursions that David Gegg operates...you will be supporting a criminal who wants to rape and pillage the environment of Belize for his own financial gain.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmopan
Sleeping Giant Lodge
Super Palm Resort
#5 of 5 in Belmopan
3.5 of 5 stars 62 reviews
Banana Bank Lodge & Jungle Horseback Adventure

Been to Jaguar Paw? Share your experiences!