“Cave tubing trip was very impressive.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 18 Attractions in Belmopan
Type: Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Ian Anderson's first and still Belize's longest and most spectacular "River of Caves" cave tubing float...over 7 miles underground. Enter the exciting world of rivers disappearing into the underworld as you float on inner tubes with only your headlamp to light your way.
Boone, North Carolina
7 attraction reviews
“Cave tubing trip was very impressive.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My adult daughter, my wife and I did the 7 mile tubing trip with about 25 other folks. I had a wonderful time. One just can't fathom floating on innertubes through multiple caverns and what one might see, The guides were very helpful. I never felt uncomfortable or threatened. Our group was the first trip in about 5 days because of high water. We did the whole trip. The cruise ship crowd were not travelling because of issues in the city. The lunch provided was very interesting. If a tourist were hesitant to eat raw fruits and vegetables, especially after being carted in several guide's backpacks, then that tourist might go hungry.
As I said, the guides were very attentive: it may have been my grey hair but there were some younger klutzes, esp the fellow who almost immediately burst his innertube on the bamboo and never did figure out how to maneuver, who probably needed more attention than I did. My wife and daughter felt a little uneasy at times when they became separated from the group by a few hundred feet. The short hikes apparently around more treacherous stretches of the river were quite muddy and required sure footedness-not enjoyed by all our group.
I would surely do this again if I were to return to these parts and recommend it to all but the very least adventuresome.

Visited January 2013

San Diego, California
“What an amazing escape! Only one word of warning...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Amazing time at Caves Branch! Hands down the best part was the repelling adventure. Trust your guides, they will take care of you. The food, the service and the guides were all very friendly and very experienced. If you don't mind the hike, ask for cabin #25. It's at the top and the view is amazing. I would recommend paying for the transfer from the airport to Caves Branch. You can also fly Maya or Tropic Air in, depending on budget. I did the Waterfall expedition and the Repelling adventure and both were plenty for the four days in Belmopan. Both are strenuous, but not over the top. INVEST in HIKING SHOES!!! I did, and I'm glad. The food is all well prepared and very good! If you are looking for a resort, this is not it...it's an adventure trip for people who don't want to lay around and do nothing for a few days.

The trips are fairly priced. If you can wait, get a deal on Groupon or Living Social...it's the best way to do it. If you're a drinker, try to get the inclusive deal. I got the package for a room special and since I don't drink, it was perfect.

THE ONE WORD OF WARNING...
We had someone take $60 from our room. I left it in my wallet and the resort manager had warned us about locking up valuables, so in some ways I can't say I wasn't warned. What's sad is that the money would have been given out to tip everyone, and as a result, people did not get tipped who deserved it. Lock up your valuables in the safe...

Visited December 2012
New York City, New York
45 attraction reviews
“Had an amazing day with the Caves Branch Team!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Thanks to Carlos and Rosa (tubing), and Daniel and Rambo (zip) for making this experience fun and safe for us. We did the cave tubing and ziplining excursion, which was a really cool and partially new for me. I liked the cave tubing, though I think Caves Branch could disclose more info up front (like how you have to paddle for 2.5 hours) and maybe provide smaller tubes (for shorter people like me). Still, the caves were beautiful and this was a truly new experience for me.

I had ziplined before, but Rambo and Daniel were super safe and made me feel at ease. They were not afraid to have fun too, which was an added bonus! Great guys!

Lunch at CB was nice too, like that they had other options, so we could eat the standard meal or have something extra, like a taco, which we did.

Good times, would do this again! (Didn't stay here though, stayed at Sleeping Giant, which was amazing)

Visited December 2012
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
“Beyond Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Caves Branch and it was everything we could have asked for and more!! We stayed in the Riverview Tree House which was beautiful and a wonderful place to relax at the end of an adventurous day or start refreshed with the fresh air and the sounds of the Jungle waking us up each morning.

We can't rave enough about how wonderful the staff was during our stay. The staff at the resort were friendly, accomondating, and seemed to go out of their way to ensure we had everything we asked for everything we didn't. The food was great and the meals were always a great part of the day as it gave time to meet new people and hear about the different things that others had done. The tour guides will come around at dinner and you will sign up for tomorrows adventures then, no need to worry about signing up in advance. We went there thinking we would be doing one thing and ended up doing completely different excursions.

The tour guides were AWESOME!!! We did the adventure package and we finished every excurion thinking "wow, that was awesome!" We spent one day at Hopkins snorkling, the guides were very knowledgable and you could tell that they LOVED what they do.
The second day we went to Guatemala to Tikal to see the Mayan Ruins there. They are worth the drive if seeing ruins are on your list of things to do. We spent the 3rd day at the resort, it was quiet that day as most the other guest were on excursions. The staff was very attentive and made sure that our day was relaxing and enjoyed. We enjoyed the Blue Hole National Park which is just a short walk and finished our day by enjoying a massage in our tree house.
After a day of relaxing we started the next day with a birding tour of the grounds which was better than expected. We saw many differnt species of birds got some awesome pictures and were awed at the guides knowledge of the local birds. We then conquered the Black Hole, which was an intense hike followed by an amazing repelling experiance down 300' into the floor of "the black hole" which is a beautiful sink hole that has become a jewel in the jungle. The next day we enjoyed the Caves waterfall adventure which again is not for the faint at heart but an awesome adventure that you will be glad you did!!

I could go on and and on about how great this place is, if you are looking for plush and 5 star this is not the place for you, this is a really nice resort that is about adventure and experiencing Belize for all it has to offer.
Thank you Ian Anderson and your wife Ella for an amazing honeymoon, we can't wait to get back there and share all it has to offer with the kids.

++ They provide shampoo and awesome soap but you may want to bring your own conditioner if you use it. Don't bother bringing a hair dryer ladies, just some rubberbands to keep your hair back and the only day I put makeup on was the day I left.

++ Bring lots of bug spray and use it aways, jungle pants and close toes shoes are a must for most of the excursions.

Visited October 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
74 attraction reviews
“Cave Tubing Tour”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We did not stay at the hotel... only participated in a cave tubing tour. We enjoyed a cave tubing tour the first time we went to Belize and were excited to return. We booked ourselves for the "River of Caves" cave tubing which should have been a leisurely trip 7 miles down the river through different caves. I called and e-mailed the lodge before we traveled the two hours to ensure the trip was still available since it was raining. We did not receive an answer. When we pulled near the parking lot, the employees told us that our trip was cancelled and had no other suggestions. We parked and walked up to the lodge to see if that was the case. The man working the desk was not helpful originally and there seemed to be lots of chaos in getting other tours ready. Finally, we were told they had a substitute caving tour we could join, “River Cave Expedition”. According to the man at the desk, it was a similar excursion that also included a walking tour of a local cave and review of Mayan artifacts. We begrudgingly decided to join this trip instead. Guess what he didn’t tell us? We had to backstroke into the cave. BACKSTROKE. No leisurely ride down the river, it was a fierce backstroke through difficult currents. We would occasionally stop, pick up our gear, walk to the next spot, put our float back down, and continue the backstroke. I (the wife) enjoyed the adventure but my husband struggled after a while. Funny enough, he actually blew his inner tube when he hit the side of the cave. He was a good sport but it was very tiring after a while. The tour itself of the cave was very interesting. We climbed over 50 feet up a path that brought us to the Mayan artifacts. After that little tour, the guides set up a nice picnic lunch for us to share and mingle with the others in the group. Finally, we took our leisure tubing ride out the cave to the base of the river. Overall, we enjoyed the trip. We wish they were honest about how the tour differed with our original booking so we could have made an educated decision. The staff at the lodge that were managing the tours were rude and unhelpful. Yet, the guides made the trip. Both were very informative, interesting, kind, and helpful. If it wasn’t for them, we may have been writing a different review.