“Sleeping Giant Lodge (A Jungle Gem!!)” 5 of 5 stars

Sleeping Giant Lodge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mile 36 Hummingbird Highway, Belmopan, Belize   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Belmopan
Hyde Park, New York, USA
“Sleeping Giant Lodge (A Jungle Gem!!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We pre-arranged transfers from the airport to the Sleeping Giant Lodge ahead of time (which I highly recommend) and was picked up at the airport without incident. Customs can be slow in Belize just so you know. After a long drive from the airport and seeing the vastness of the interior of Belize, we were unsure what we were going to find in the middle of the jungle. Long behold, we arrived at the Sleeping Giant Lodge and my thoughts were “what is this place doing in the middle of nowhere”. We had Garden View room #1 which was the only room available at the time we booked. The room was new and simply decorated with ample storage for all your clothes. The bathroom was more than big enough for 2 people and was done up very nicely with 2 modern stone sinks. FYI: The casitas are also very nice and you won’t be disappointed with your accommodations.
The Lodge itself lends itself to a feeling that is more that cozy than most larger resorts but with ample space to move around and not claustrophobic at all. If you like that intimate feeling that a special place can generate then you have found the right place to stay. What you may not realize, is that the resort is completely landscaped with beautiful plants, trees and flowers arranged in a way that looks totally natural and not at all designed. When you check out the view from the Lodge it is simply amazing!
You will encounter hummingbirds and hummingbird nests …..and yes, those Cadbury sized eggs in the nest are real! You will also find goose eggs on the road and pathways. You will see various species of birds and some quick running lizards. Yes it is lush and tropical and just the way I hoped it to be.
The resort will be adding in additional rooms which will be spread out near the Lodge. Oh yeah, the property extends almost as far as you can see. The pool was still being built but as far as I am concerned, it will only make the resort that much better. You can still swim in the nearby river which was a lot of fun and amazingly clean and clear!
We took two trips from the Lodge and I highly recommend them both. The cave tubing tour was the first. Tubing through caves with a lamp on your head is not happening where I live….oh what fun!
Don’t forget the sunscreen and bug spray as well as a rashguard (long sleeve). We saw super sized grasshoppers and baby turtles on this trip. My favorite was the over sized spiders that fish in the river….Yep I said fish! The second tour and the highlight of our trip was the ATM tour. A little bit of Indiana Jones meets Laura Croft in Tomb Raider sums up this adventure. Bring some bug spray, extra pair of clean socks and your sense of adventure for this one. You better be in shape and have no fear of heights or of the after world. Bones, skulls and artifacts await you on your journey. Please respect the cave for what it is and don’t even think about taking anything (you have been warned). Enjoy the adventure.

The workers at the resort are wonderful and I think this has been stated in almost every review (it is true). The food at the lodge was good and above average in my opinion. My only regret was leaving the resort and not being able to spend more time exploring the grounds. (TIP) For a great view, find the path to the gazebo on the mountain top and take in the spectacular views (it’s worth the hike).
After talking with Eric the GM, I think they are looking to add in a few more activities for the kids to do at night and a map of the resort (very helpful). BTW, speaking with Eric is a must as he is very informative and he holds the keys to the kingdom (he is the GM after all). When all is said and done, Belize and the Sleeping Giant Lodge should be on your short list of places to visit….you won’t be disappointed. FWIW: You can't capture the essence of this resort in a picture....you will have to check it out yourself! Off to the Almond Beach Resort……..

Room Tip: Staying in a garden View Room in the rainy season is not such a bad idea....you won't get wet go...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

153 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Henderson, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Wow, there are so many good things to say about this vacation that it will be hard for me to capture it all in this review! My husband and I went for our honeymoon, and I think it made for an incredibly fun and memorable honeymoon! When we arrived, the assistant manager Brian welcomed us and told us the manager would be arriving in a few days but he was on vacation. Brian was so nice and accomodating the entire time! Many of the people there at the same time as us were also honeymooners, but not all. Most people were doing the 3 nights in the jungle and 3 nights at the beach (Almond Beach Resort) package, but we did all 6 nights in the jungle. I will try to break it down for people reading it.

Location - On the way there in our shuttle (we used Discounted Belize Tours), we passed by Caves Branch Resort (which is the resort we did all our tours through). The drive from Belize City was about an hour and a half and very scenic! As we got deeper into the rainforest, I got more and more excited. The resort itself is located off Hummingbird Highway and is nestled in the jungle next to the Sibun River and orchards. Beautiful!

Accomodations - The casita we stayed in was beautiful! Air conditioning was a huge plus for us, as my husband hates sleeping in heat/humidity. Every day, there were beautiful elaborate towel decorations from housekeeping! Covered with flowers and shaped into bunnies, swans, other birds, etc. It was so fun to see what would be there when we got back from tours! We stayed in casita 4 and it was right by the little creek and had an outdoor bathtub and indoor shower that had a big glass wall open to the outside. We also had a little patio with a table and chairs. The lodge has the rooms are on the bottom floor and the 2nd floor is the bar and lunch area, top floor is the breakfast/dinner area. Beautiful sitting areas for meals and great views of the jungle!

Food - Food was awesome! I wasn't sure since it was so small if we would have options or if it would just be "this is what is for dinner tonight - everyone eats the same thing," but there was a menu that we could choose from for each meal, and every night for dinner there was a different special that wasn't on the regular menu (as well as a soup of the day and a dessert for that day). The food always tasted great and fresh. I was never disappointed! My husband is a very picky eater and he was able to find several options he loved as well, so that was good!

Tours/Day Trips - These are done through Caves Branch and there are lots to pick from. We had a lot of fun on them! The first one we did was the Mayan ruins day trip to Xunantunich and Cahal Pech - this was very interesting and fun. Our guide Carlos explained everything and told us all about the history; it was great! Views from the top were spectacular, but we didn't want to get close to the edge - it is the 2nd tallest ruin! The next trip we did was the River of Caves cave tubing, which was really fun and kept us cool. If you combine the tubing with either the ziplining or the cave exploring, they said you have to do a lot more paddling to go faster. Ours was pretty relaxed, but still some mild paddling. Then we had a day off and one of the other couples was wanting to go to the Blue Hole nearby, so the manager actually set it up for one of the maintenance guys to give them a ride down there, which was really nice! We hitched a ride also and we all just tipped him for the ride. There isn't a ton to do at the Blue Hole really, but we did the Hummingbird Loop trail there which was fun and then after swam in the Blue Hole to cool off. The next day tour we did was snorkeling which was through the Almond Beach Resort. That was really beautiful and we loved it! Most people didn't do this until they moved over to that resort, but since we were staying only at Sleeping Giant we went down for a day to the beach. While there I even got a coconut drink from the pool bar - my first drink from a coconut ever! The last tour we did was the waterfalls tour. Everyone had been talking about how intense it was, so we had some pretty high expectations, but we actually didn't feel it was difficult at all. It was really fun though! You climb through the caves and the waterfalls are actually all inside the caves, and then you jump off three of them! The most difficult part in my opinion was not tripping over rocks (haha I guess I am clumsy) and in the first waterfall, trying to see because the water kept hitting you in the face. But I think if you do not exercise or stay in shape, or if you are older or have joint problems, this tour could be a little tough. It was really fun though and I would recommend any of the tours we did! We kind of wish now that we did the Black Hole Drop.

Overall, this trip was very memorable and I would definitely consider going back again! We had such a blast, and I didn't want to leave. They are in the process of expanding the resort a bit. Right now, they are still doing construction on the pool. They also plan to make more rooms, and we were told they plan to build some treehouses! They said if we come back next year, it will be very different. Either way, I believe it will still be a small resort and will still have the spectacular service that they have right now. My only fear is that it will become more expensive and we won't be able to afford a return trip! I am sure I am missing a lot of things, but I think I covered a lot of the most important parts!

Room Tip: Casitas are beautiful - I would recommend paying a little extra to get one over the gardenview if yo...
Heber City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

There are some great reviews on here with good advice. I will echo others saying you will not regret choosing sleeping giant! I will share the few additional things I wish I could have known before going.

1. Getting there. Somewhere on here there was a review saying you can take a bus to the hotel. Since I've lived and visited central america and used public transit- I thought that sounded like a fun as well as money saving option. However, I didn't foresee our Houston flight getting delayed two hours, and us getting in the slowest customs line possible. Those two things put us in BZE at close to 6pm, and it was starting to get dark. Also, I thought the buses left directly from the airport, but we had to take a taxi from the airport to the bus terminal which cost us US$25 (for two). Luckily, everyone in Belize is very kind and helpful. When I told the bus driver where we were going, and that I was concerned about getting there after dark, he told me I would also be navigating a long driveway through the jungle. He offered to call the hotel for me, but I only had there international number, not the local number. While my husband and I prepared to heft our luggage through the dark, the bus driver somehow found their number and called them. Shakira advised me to get a cab in Belmopan that could bring me straight to the hotel doorstep. When I explained I was concerned about finding a reliable taxi so late in the evening she offered me the name and number of one, when I paused to find something to "write this down" she said not to worry, that she would arrange the taxi and call the bus driver back with the name and confirmation. The bus driver later spoke with her again, and when we got to Belmopan he kindly made sure we were connected with the correct taxi driver. It's a bit of a fun story now, but I wished I'd saved myself some stress and prebooked a private transfer.

Once we got to Sleeping Giant everything went much smoother. They took our bags to our room, we drank fruit punch (we don't drink) and had a wonderful dinner (I highly recommend doing the meal plan here) before they showed us down the short path to our perfect room (see notes below).

Sleeping Giant encourages the most popular tours that are actually done through Caves Branch lodge which is just down the road. Giovani can set these up for you, he does usually come by your dinner table the night before to ask if/which excursion you are planning to do the next day- but I found this helpful, not pushy. Caves Branch is also a lovely place from what we saw- but once the pool is completed (which they said should be in the next month or two) I don't think I'd pick them over Sleeping Giant.

Excursions- We did the waterfall cave expedition one day and the cave tubing expedition the next. The waterfall one was a total adrenaline rush. Not- for the faint in heart, but the highlight of the trip for both of us! Something unique for sure. The tubing expedition was great for the next day, as it was much more mellow. I thought the expedition one would be more taxing than the just tubing one, but from what I heard talking to other guests, ours was the milder one. I liked it because we got to see some Mayan ritual sites/artifacts as well as do some tubing. My biggest advice in being prepared for the excursions is BRING A GOPRO OR WATERPROOF CAMERA! Also, for the waterfall expedition I believe it says no open skin shoes, but they allowed people to use CLOSED TOED water shoes, which I think would have been perfect. You also have to have long pants- so bring some LIGHTWEIGHT hiking type pants, or as a girl I would have preferred athletic leggings of some sort so I didn't feel like my wet pants were always hanging off of me. I brought a RASH GUARD which I brought for snorkeling at the beach (we were on the jungle beach combo) to avoid getting burned (great advice found on here) but it was also great for the jungle excursions. Especially for the tubes since you do have to do a little paddling, and skin rubbing on the rubber tubes could have been irritating. Also, they provide you with any lights, backpacks, and water you may need.

Other activities: Hiking and relaxing on the grounds, hitching a ride to the "Blue Hole" which only costs $4, and on our last morning before our transfer to the beach we took out the canoes to the lagoon, or wide part of the river. We found a strong hanging branch/vine that is perfect for swinging from into the water. It's not far to the left of where you drop in. It's perfect as there are logs to climb up to branches that you can jump from right there. I think the resident children use it:) SO FUN!

We were there the first part of August. We saw a little rain, but it wasn't bad at all.

Take lots of sunscreen and good bug spray.

I suggest you bring a few of your favorite snacks/treats as sometimes you get back from an excursion, and though they fed you lunch, you're starving, and dinner doesn't start till 6:30.

We loved that both the staff and other guests here were all so friendly. You see many of the same people often and become close friends.

Another couple there took their playlists to the main dining lodge, which was a nice change from the same old tropical and reggae sounds you here everywhere else.

Room Tip: We stayed in Casita #4 which was close to the dining lodge and will be close to the pool. It had an...
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I chose the Sleeping Giant to celebrate our 15 year anniversary....We couldn't have chosen a better place!

Getting there:
We rented a car and it took us about 1.5 hours to reach the lodge from BZE. There is a clearly marked sign from the Hummingbird highway. As soon as we pulled up to the Sleeping Giant, we knew we were going to fall in love with Belize.

Check-in:
We were greeted by Giovanni with rum punches. After enjoying one of the best lunches we've had in a long time, we were brought to our casita, a little oasis in the jungle.

Room:
We've stayed in many hotels and resorts and by far, this makes one of the top of our list. Casita #1 invites you with a 3 sided wrap around porch, perfect for reading and enjoying the sights and sounds of the property. It was equipped with a basket of fresh fruits, a jug of drinking water, an iphone/ipod dock, beach towels and essential toiletries. The king sized bed was very comfortable. It's also air conditioned, a great escape after a hot day of activities. At night, tiki torches help you guide you back to your room after a delicious meal and drinks in the main building.

The grounds:
Immaculate and surrounded by beautiful flowers, plants and little friendly lizards. While the lodge only accommodates 30 or so guest, the property is vast. We took advantage of the free kayaks and bikes to explore the Sibun river and orange orchards. A worker/guide of the lodge, Orlin, took us to the lookout point. He was very knowledgeable and very friendly. Once we reached the gazebo, we were awed by the 360 view of this part of Belize (and not to mention the actual Sleeping Giant in the mountains). The pool is still being built but once it's complete, it will throw any competitors off the edge. In all, if you're looking for a jungle retreat, it doesn't get any better than this.

The staff:
We've never encountered such genuine staff in all of our travels. Brian, Giovanni, Orlin and Shakira are very good/hard workers and will go out of their way to make your trip special. Special thanks to Shakira for making arrangements for us on our last day which ended up being the best day of our trip :-) The cleaning ladies also did a great job and the towel art changed everyday. Top notch and first class....thanks guys!

The food:
We didn't get the all inclusive package but we still enjoyed breakfast and dinner at the lodge (there are no outside restaurants nearby). There are some traditional items on the menu but also many with belizean flare. Try the banana pancakes for breakfast. Dinner was a fixed priced and three course. There are daily specials if you want to go outside of the a la carte menu. The food does not disappoint, we enjoyed it very much. We enjoyed the lobster dishes :) Kudos to the chef!

The day tours:
The lodge can book your tours for you. I suggest guests go to Sleeping Giant directly to avoid any logistic miscommunications. I'll have reviews of the different tours we did in a separate posting.

Final note:
Every couple we met raved about the lodge and its staff. I would give this a 6 stars if I can. I heard the lodge will be adding more casitas. I hope it doesn't lose it's personalized and intimate setting as it expands which currently make The Sleeping Giant Rainforest Lodge a new favourite destination of ours. We will be back when the pool is finished!

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

After 3 nights at the Sleeping Giant we left feeling nolstalgic about this place. Mostly because of the staff who treated us like close friends and also because of the great energy we felt from the jungle.

The details from the beautifully landscaped grounds, to the delicious food and cocktails, to the kind and genuine nature of the staff was a real pleasure and far exceeded our expectations. We met many other couples during our trip who all agreed that this is truly an amazing place.

We would recommend Sleeping Giant to anyone who loves nature and wants to experience the jungle.

Thank you Brian and Shakira Shakira for all you did to make us feel comfortable and thank you David and Patty for creating such a fabulous resort for others to enjoy. We will be back :)

Granite Bay, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We arrived at the airport and were not greeted - we looked for a sign with our names. We stood for about 15 mins.(we prearranged/paid to be picked up) a very nice man approached us and asked if we needed help. Told him our story and he flagged down 3 taxis for us and made a few phone calls.
We arrived to Sleeping Giant left our luggage - and went up stairs for a drink and lunch (on the all inclusive plan) we sat down and was greeted after a few mins. The workers had a confused look on their faces - we thought we were a little over whelming a group of 10. Come to find out they had no idea we were coming. The manager came over and greeted us got some information and welcomed us and said he need to make a few calls to find out where the reservation went wrong. With all the confusion they still made use feel welcomed and had us order lunch. In about 30 mins the problem was solved but they did not have our 2 rooms - But let me tell you they handled it better than we could of wished for. The manager asked if we would not mind spending our 3 night together in the Large 2 bedroom Casita -it was amazing!They filled the frig for us with beer and soda. They went our of their way to make us feel welcomed even with the mix up.
I can not go on enough about how great the staff is- both Giovanni's were such fun and professional. Brian was also super....
A special extra was it was our son's 16th birthday and I asked if they could sing to him at breakfast and they said give them a little time and they would bake him a cake! I wish I knew how to down load picture - it made the day!

A must do is the cave tube trip. This is something you would never be allowed to do in the states! You felt like it was like a Disney ride - so perfect and unbelievable views.

The river next to the lodge was also a great way to cool off at the end of a hot and eventful day.
The people in Belize are amazing - so friendly and accommodating. A family trip to not be forgotten!

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom Casita is beautiful and fits 2 families of 5 perfectly if you do not mind sharing the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I did a jungle and beach package with Sleeping Giant and Almond Beach Resort. I could not have picked a better package. It was an amazing value and completely worth the journey! Sleeping Giant is a beautiful resort and the staff is so amazing. Emerson is so very nice and helpful, Giovanni makes great drinks and takes great care of his guests, Shakira is great and very friendly, Byran is also very sweet and helpful. Cleveland makes some of the best food we had ever had! The whole staff is welcoming and makes you feel right at home. Sleeping Giant is a gem and a cut above the rest. They go out of their way to give you the best most intimate experience. The resort is beatiful and they help to schedule you the best activities. We did the waterfall cave and the ATM cave. Both we amazing once in a lifetime experiences. Everything and everyone down to the drivers and tour guides were perfect. I would highly recommend adding transportation from the airport to sleeping giant. Belize is a truly wonderful place to visit and I cant wait to go back someday. They were building the pool at sleeping giant when we were there so we will have to go back to test it out! I dont think I will ever have such an amazing vacation ever again! It is amazing that the resort books everything for you and you get driven everywhere! We LOVED Sleeping Giant and hope you choose the visit them too! Almond Beach was also amazing, a bigger resort and not as intimate but a completely different experience. The only way to visit Belize and do it right it to do jungle and beach, that way you experience it all! Thanks again to the staff at Sleeping Giant, you made it perfect!
Tip: Dont leave any lights on, not even the front porch when you go to dinner, you will come back to a room full of little flying bugs! It is the junlge after all! We learned our lesson the first night!

Room Tip: Book a Spanish Casita!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sleeping Giant Lodge? Share your experiences!