“Educational opportunity” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Belmopan
Petersburg, Illinois, United States
“Educational opportunity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I took a group of 28 college students / community members to Sleeping Giant Lodge in January. During one of the hikes on the Medicinal plant trail we came across a rather large grasshopper that I took several photos of. When we came back to Illinois I sent the photos to the Illinois Natural History Survey. They indicated this was the first confirmed sighting of this Genus of grasshopper in Belize. See the article posted on http://ricochetscience.com/ for more information.

Talk about an incredible opportunity for students and community members alike.

Room Tip: For quite choose the river house or casitas. To be closer to the action choose the garden view room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

153 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Andover, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Though this location is a bit isolated(I'd recommend an all inclusive for sure) the grounds are impeccable, the views amazing of the surrounding mountains and the staff goes out of their way to keep guests happy and welcome.
While the food was average, I'd go all inclusive as it is a long ways to any restaurants (the driveway alone is a hike) Much respect to Swift, Andy and the rest of the wait staff. Swift took us on a hike to the lookout tower AFTER HIS WORK SHIFT and is clearly excited by the natural resources Belize offers, pointing out Toucans etc along the way. We stayed in a garden view flat but the cabanas looked amazing. Andy is happy to mix up the finest drinks late into the night...THESE GUYS ARE DEDICATED AND DESERVE A RAISE!!! The bar has a "backpackers" feel and we shared a few late nights laughing...and of course drinking... with other guests...shout out to the cheeseheads from WI from Boston! The woman at the front desk keeps on top of every detail of your trip. Housekeeping provides the best service I've seen. The room:bathroom is very nice with sliding glass door leading outside...nothing like showering to the sound of toucans in the Belize sun. We preferred this property to the actual Caves Branch down the road which is a bit more rustic, though you will be shuttled there for activities which were unforgettable (cavetubing, seeing Mayan ruins, etc.) The beds were memory foam and a dream to sleep on, especially after our prior hotel which felt like a pile of springs in my back.

Room Tip: We were in the room directly below the kitchen which could be a bit noisy but only during meal hours...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Boone, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My adult daughter arranged this trip and it seemed that most folks were doing several days here with several days at Almond Beach. She joined my wife and I and we had a very good time. Rose was exceptional at the front desk. The staff were hard at work to make everyone feel important . The wait staff were attentive and kind. I understand that there might be items on the menu that are not available at all times in this remote location. Maybe they could be a little more attentive to water and/or drinks. The rooms were kept immaculate. The landscaping is wonderful and the gentleman keeping the grounds does a wonderful job. Erlen was a great guide up to the gazebo on the top of the hill.
As others have said there is no where else to eat. There are no prices on the menu and maybe you should know that supper is $US28 whether you have three courses or a bowl of soup. We didn't know. But I didn't have a single item that was unsatisfactory.
We did the cave float trip through Cavebranch and Rose was very helpful with a truthful description. The river nearby was too high and fast for kayaking or swimming while we were there. We stayed in the "Spanish casitas". Quiet, roomy, and the fan was all the temperature we needed. I don't know about the other rooms.
I thank my daughter for finding this and the staff for a fine vacation. I would return and would recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I spent the week after Thanksgiving in Belize. Our first leg of the trip was a stay at the Sleeping Giant Lodge in what I would say is central Belize, about an hour and a half from Belize City.
The location is in the jungle but the accommodations were not what you would have expected to find there.
The bedroom was large, as was the bathroom, with its well appointed glass shower with a strong stream of water you wouldn't expect given the location. The sinks were made of some type of carved stone sanded down. The other main thing that was in the room which I really appreciated was a free 5 gallon jug of spring water - great for someone who likes to keep hydrated like me.
The lodge is next to a river up a 1/2 mile rocky dirt road.
Once we arrived we were greeted with a local drink made with SourSop, which was a sweet, coconut flavored drink that became my favorite cocktail for the three nights we were there.
The restaurant was great, and I highly recommend you go with the meal plan they offer since there is nothing for miles to get food. The menu is local flair - while not exotic, they had special dishes with a Belizean twist.
The staff at the lodge was very friendly with special mention for one of the bartenders, Abner, who created the special cocktail I mentioned that I couldn't get enough of.
The tour the lodge setup for us to see the ruins was great - a local guide proud of his country with lots of information to share.
One thing to note - if you intend to drive in Belize, rent a jeep or something similar. A car would bottom out on some roads. The Sleeping Giant offers transfers between the hotel and the airport and other hotels they own but the cost is quite high and this doesn't allow you to wander on your own if you spend several days in the jungle location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My family and I had an amazing time at Sleeping Giant. the staff was great. They were friendly and easy to be around. Our room was perfect. My son loved all the towel art everyday. Okay we did also. The food was great. All of the activities were awesome. We took our 8 year old son and he had to problem with any of the activities. The guides personally took care of him in all of the activities. In fact he has not stopped talking about the trip and he learned a lot of facts along the way too.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My friends and I recently visited the Sleeping Giant Lodge on a trip to Belize in Dec. When we arrived, we were greeted by the manager who informed us we had been upgraded to make our stay more comfortable. This was a lovely treat, as we got to spend our time in the Spanish Casitas I and II (we moved due to AC issues). We then reviewed the plan for the week, including meal plan (we split 2 meal plans among 3 girls, which was plenty of food), and activities. We decided to use our free tour (courtesy of Living Social) on Cave Tubing and ZipLining with Caves Branch. We also decided to check out the kayaking on the property to cool off (as it was a very hot day).

The rooms were very nicely made up and lux for being in the jungle, and we absolutely loved the fresh hibiscus and towel animals which were made up each night. Also, the wonderful mayan soaps were amazing (where can I buy these!). They provided a huge bottle of water to share for the room, which was great, and the overall amenities were lovely. When we had AC issues, Rose immediately allowed us to move, no questions asked!

We first met Orlin, our AMAZING guide, on day 1 when he took us out kayaking and river wading. He was not prepared to kayak that day, but did not hesitate as he walked in the water in his jeans, watched us fumble on the rocks, and generally helped us this day. For being a young guy, we realized Orlin was amazing at being a guide, in that he was knowledgable and thoughtful through the trip. Can't say enough about him, I think he has a promising career ahead.

The next day we headed out on our excursion, which was fun but a lot more work than they let on. It was an eventful and adventurous day at Caves Branch.

On the last full day, we decided to enjoy the Sleeping Giant. We woke up, ate breakfast and did a long hike to the top of a mountain (to the Gazebo) which was breathtaking. Orlin was with us again, and without him we would have been lost. He helped us navigate the flora and fauna, which made all the difference during this trip. After the hike, we broke for fresh tangerines and lunch, then met again to kayak for a bit. Again, Orlin was great, and we enjoyed the time on the Sibun River. Finally, we headed out for an evening bike ride, through the orchards on the grounds. This was a lovely end to the day (though I wish they had smaller bikes for short people like me). We stopped as Orlin picked fresh grapefruit and oranges for us, and we enjoyed the beautiful scenery. It was an amazing day overall.

The other staff was great as well, including Rose, Andy and Swift. We met Andy on day 1, and got to know the others the next day. Andy and Swift were great bartenders/servers, and provided us with great hospitality. Rose was very helpful, and made us feel very welcome.

The food and drinks were also very tasty, including fresh pineapple pancakes (my fave from the trip) for breakfast, delicious ceviche for lunch, and yummy soups and entrees for dinner. One may think the menu could bore you for 3 days, but we changed it up so we got a good sample of items, and the chef even made something special on day 3 for us. We loved the soups, so flavorful and delicious, and all the fresh veggies were clean and edible.

We had a few thoughts on how to improve our experience, which are opportunities for SGL, but not major outages. 1. hammocks or lounging chairs on the property would be lovely, 2. we heard word of a pool which would take this property over the top, 3. Would love to see more belizian specialties and drinks (i.e. tamales, belizian food, belizian wines to taste).

Note - Take LOTS of good deet, like Ultrathon by 3M, as there are bugs in the jungle!

You can see my personal blog review on Sleeping Giant Lodge at: http://lehauteeye.com/sleeping-giant-lodge-in-belmopan-belize-is-a

Room Tip: Casitas are nice for 3 or more people...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I couldn't have imagined a better trip to Belize than what we found at Sleeping Giant. The views at the lodge are STUNNING and the atmosphere is very intimate. The staff was just the cherry on top of an incredible trip.

We stayed at Sleeping Giant for three days then transferred to Almond Beach - both very different experiences but made for great memories. Sleeping Giant was quiet and relaxing but the resort and the staff offered a lot of activities to keep ourselves busy. We climbed to the top of the mountain with two staff members, Abner and Milda (who are SO sweet - we miss them already), and saw the most breathtaking scenery from their gazebo overlook at the top. Andy also helped us transport one of the resort's kayaks down to the river so we could look at the rapids (the staff is so small and trustworthy, I was able to give Andy my iPhone and he kept it safe for me while we went kayaking). Rose was very sweet and accommodating and made sure we got the day trip to Xunantunich that we wanted! There is hardly anything around the resort - mostly just other resorts down the road - so don't think you'll be doing much eating at restaurants or experiencing Belizean nightlife. There also was very minimal access to internet, which ended up being a wonderful escape. Of the resorts nearby though, I was so happy to have chosen Sleeping Giant. It's definitely unlike the others and a much more relaxing atmosphere.

One of the most pleasant surprises was that there were hardly any bugs! I did get a few little bites one morning when I didn't have any bug spray on but, otherwise, it's NOTHING like in the States!

We personally didn't choose to do a meal plan but I know the resort offers that and several other families staying at SG opted for it.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Garden View room. The bed was huge, super comfortable and incredibly clean. Warning a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sleeping Giant Lodge? Share your experiences!