“very special” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Equestrian Trails

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cayo
Mountain Equestrian Trails
You added Mountain Equestrian Trails to your Saves list
Mile 8 Mountain Pine Ridge Rd | Cayo District, Belize   |
Ranked #8 of 49 Cayo B&B and Inns
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“very special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I loved my time at MET. I was travelling alone and enjoyed the family meals, which were absolutely delicious. They kindly provided me with a room that was atmospheric and affordable. A really special place with a lot of personal attention. The rides were a great opportunity to feel the forest.
Hopefully they will build a pool, and then I would have to just move in..

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Marguerite B, Owner at Mountain Equestrian Trails, responded to this review, December 28, 2014
Thank you for writing a review! We enjoyed our time with you!
Keep checking back, hoping there will be a pool some day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Finally got around to writing a review! :-)
We spent four nights at MET in July/August 2013 and, like everyone else here, have only good things to say. Gio picked us up in Belize City and looked after us for most of our stay. When we arrived to our cabana it was beautifully decorated with flowers from the garden. As many previous reviewers have stated, it is very romantic with only the kerosene lights after dark - too bad we were brother and sister travelling together! :-)
The Bevis family is truly lovely and it was very nice having dinner together with them - and the food is indeed fantastic with generous portions.
As for excursions, we went to see Caracol which is highly recommended, and having a knowledgable guide like Gio makes all the difference. The ATM cave is definitely something not to miss as you both get to experience a jungle walk, the adventure of wading/swimming/climbing through the cave, and also see the beautiful cave formations and Mayan artifacts and remains. A useful piece of information though is that cameras are not allowed to bring into the cave, so there is no point in bringing one - just wear shoes and clothes that you don't mind getting wet, plus they recommend wearing socks while walking around in the dry part of the cave, so as to not damage the cave floor. Finally, if staying at MET of course one has to go for a horse riding adventure - we rode to Barton Creek Cave with our excellent guide Rigo, who answered any questions we had about the flora and fauna. The ride took us past a mennonite village which was interesting to see, and the cave itself is also well worth visiting (accessed by canoe).
Another highlight of staying at MET was to see humming birds for the first time - several beautiful species come to the cantina every day!
A big thanks to the Bevis family for the wonderful time, we really would like to come back and spend more time at MET!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for writing a wonderful review! It is greatly appreciated! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope you can return one day!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Spent here a couple of days, went horseriding and a car transfer to belize City City with a number of stops.
Place is amazing and run by great people who really try to make you feel you part of the family. Giovanni, the main tour guy is absolutely a knowledgeable. This is an authentic place in the nature to and would be a pity to miss this part of belize.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
metbelize, Owner at Mountain Equestrian Trails, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Thank you so much for writing a great review for us. We're so glad you happened upon our place and that you enjoyed your stay. We also appreciate the compliments for Gio, who we think is the best!
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

The folks at MET are fantastically friendly, helpful and just plain nice people. They took us on exploration trips to newly discovered waterfalls, to beautiful overlooks and on fantastic birding excursions. They were competing in a bird watch event and we identified to 55 species in an hour just strolling around their grounds. Aaron and Gio were fantastic birding guides, and I was able to identify 40 new birds in one day, including three male Lovely Cotinga.

The facilities are rustic yet provide you with almost every convenience you need while making you feel like you're living in the jungle. This is our second trip to MET, after 22 years, and it was just as nice as the first time. Highly recommended for the adventurous spirit even if, like us, you're not horse people.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
metbelize, Owner at Mountain Equestrian Trails, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Thank you! The Lovely Cotinga was a definite highlight for all of us! I'm so glad you were there during our bird count and that you were able to add so many species to your list. Birding is generally not what people think of when seeing the name Mountain Equestrian Trails, but in fact, the birding, as you said, is pretty spectacular. We appreciate you taking the time to writing a glowing review. Hope we'll see you again another day!
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

I recently completed a 17 day visit to Belize, which included 5 days at Mountain Equestrian Trails. The staff, accommodations, food, and horseback tours into the jungle, exceeded any expectations I had prior to arrival. The tour guides are extremely knowledgeable in the flora, fauna, geology, and Mayan history of the Cayo region. Regardless of your interests, I would recommend Mountain Equestrian Trails as a must see on any trip to Belize.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Thank you! We enjoyed hanging out with you! We are happy you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate you taking the time to write for us. Hope to see you again some day!
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

My husband & myself were incredibly impressed with our stay at Mountain Equestrian Trails- the palapa bungalows were comfortable & elegantly designed, the food was really, really good, the surrounding jungle was lush, and the hospitality extended was beyond generous. Overall, this is one of the most amazing places we've stayed at! We plan on returning in the future & bringing our unborn children!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you! I really enjoyed being with you guys! I'm so glad you were able to come! I look forward to your return along with those children! We're thinking about building a playground, maybe in the citrus orchard.
Bellevue, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We decided to go back to MET after an 11 year absence. MET was just as cute as it was back then. I must say it was just as fun if not better this time around. I thought the food, beds and company was outstanding! The Bevis Family is the nicest people you will meet in Belize. When I left I felt like they were family.
I really enjoyed the waterfall ride. I don't like the hill you have to climb up and down (due to my own lack of exercise) but WELL worth it! Plus the lunch was still hot! Rico and his son are the best guides ever. Rico's machete in hand was the coolest! The horses are so cute too. I felt like I didn't have a care in the world riding Dixie. All I had to do was sit back and enjoy the scenery and take my many photos. I doesn't matter what level of riding experience you have, they have horses that will take care of you. Just make sure your body can handle being in a saddle for an all day ride!
I liked waking up to birds chirping. I missed the monkey this time. I didn't hear any.

Also if you get too sore from the rides and swimming at the waterfall, Allison can work the knots out of your body! That was an excellent massage. Back on my feet in not time.

Aaron made us the best video of our vacation. It was a hit with our friends back home. They could actually see what we were doing, much easier to explain with a YouTube video.
I was impressed and will go back. Hope it won't be another 11 years!

Room Tip: All the cabanas are wonderful