“Wonderful hosts and beautiful birds” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Equestrian Trails

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cayo
Mountain Equestrian Trails
You added Mountain Equestrian Trails to your Saves list
Mile 8 Mountain Pine Ridge Rd | Cayo District, Belize   |
Ranked #9 of 49 Cayo B&B and Inns
State College, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful hosts and beautiful birds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

The folks at MET are fantastically friendly, helpful and just plain nice people. They took us on exploration trips to newly discovered waterfalls, to beautiful overlooks and on fantastic birding excursions. They were competing in a bird watch event and we identified to 55 species in an hour just strolling around their grounds. Aaron and Gio were fantastic birding guides, and I was able to identify 40 new birds in one day, including three male Lovely Cotinga.

The facilities are rustic yet provide you with almost every convenience you need while making you feel like you're living in the jungle. This is our second trip to MET, after 22 years, and it was just as nice as the first time. Highly recommended for the adventurous spirit even if, like us, you're not horse people.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
metbelize, Owner at Mountain Equestrian Trails, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Thank you! The Lovely Cotinga was a definite highlight for all of us! I'm so glad you were there during our bird count and that you were able to add so many species to your list. Birding is generally not what people think of when seeing the name Mountain Equestrian Trails, but in fact, the birding, as you said, is pretty spectacular. We appreciate you taking the time to writing a glowing review. Hope we'll see you again another day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

I recently completed a 17 day visit to Belize, which included 5 days at Mountain Equestrian Trails. The staff, accommodations, food, and horseback tours into the jungle, exceeded any expectations I had prior to arrival. The tour guides are extremely knowledgeable in the flora, fauna, geology, and Mayan history of the Cayo region. Regardless of your interests, I would recommend Mountain Equestrian Trails as a must see on any trip to Belize.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Thank you! We enjoyed hanging out with you! We are happy you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate you taking the time to write for us. Hope to see you again some day!
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

My husband & myself were incredibly impressed with our stay at Mountain Equestrian Trails- the palapa bungalows were comfortable & elegantly designed, the food was really, really good, the surrounding jungle was lush, and the hospitality extended was beyond generous. Overall, this is one of the most amazing places we've stayed at! We plan on returning in the future & bringing our unborn children!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you! I really enjoyed being with you guys! I'm so glad you were able to come! I look forward to your return along with those children! We're thinking about building a playground, maybe in the citrus orchard.
Bellevue, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We decided to go back to MET after an 11 year absence. MET was just as cute as it was back then. I must say it was just as fun if not better this time around. I thought the food, beds and company was outstanding! The Bevis Family is the nicest people you will meet in Belize. When I left I felt like they were family.
I really enjoyed the waterfall ride. I don't like the hill you have to climb up and down (due to my own lack of exercise) but WELL worth it! Plus the lunch was still hot! Rico and his son are the best guides ever. Rico's machete in hand was the coolest! The horses are so cute too. I felt like I didn't have a care in the world riding Dixie. All I had to do was sit back and enjoy the scenery and take my many photos. I doesn't matter what level of riding experience you have, they have horses that will take care of you. Just make sure your body can handle being in a saddle for an all day ride!
I liked waking up to birds chirping. I missed the monkey this time. I didn't hear any.

Also if you get too sore from the rides and swimming at the waterfall, Allison can work the knots out of your body! That was an excellent massage. Back on my feet in not time.

Aaron made us the best video of our vacation. It was a hit with our friends back home. They could actually see what we were doing, much easier to explain with a YouTube video.
I was impressed and will go back. Hope it won't be another 11 years!

Room Tip: All the cabanas are wonderful
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
You are so right, it is never too late! Thank you for writing such a wonderful review! Your description will surely help visitors decide to give us a try. By the way, we have new feature destinations, which guests are raving about, so don't wait too long to come back!
The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Wow! What a vacation! I went to Mountain Equestrian Trails with my 3 teenagers for spring break. We had wonderful experiences riding through the rain forest, past Mennonite farms and to Mayan ruins, swimming in waterfalls, and exploring caves. The horses were so well trained and very sure footed. There were plenty of opportunities for cantering and trotting (or just walking) so the trail rides, both in the mountains and on the roads, were lively and fun. Not the plodding, walk along trail rides most of us are used to in the US. We took in nearby attractions like zip lining and a butterfly farm. MET organized a day trip to Tikal in Guatemala for us. There was so much to do. At the end of each day my kids were happy and tired. We all got plenty of exercise, fresh air and fresh food. The accommodations were clean and the beds were so very comfortable. There isn't electricity in the rooms but plenty of light is available using kerosene lanterns. The delicious food is served family style and includes plenty of fresh, local produce. The staff is wonderful. The owners, Jim and Marguerite and family, make you feel so welcome and able to relax immediately. The trail guides are really well qualified and can tell you everything about the local plants, animals, geology, archeology and Belize history. Gio was the perfect guide for my kids, they all loved him. At the end of the day, the small bar in the cantina offers local beer and a variety of rum drinks. There is wifi in the cantina for a few hours at night so my kids could FB and message their friends. The lack of TV, electricity and connectivity didn't bother them at all after the first day. For a special treat, the owner's 5 year old granddaughter can show you how to lure a tarantula out of its burrow and how to safely play with it. There is a massage therapist on site if you're feeling a few bumps and soreness from the day of riding. Before we even left my kids were asking how soon we could come back, so it was a vacation success.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
metbelize, Owner at Mountain Equestrian Trails, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I am very happy to hear your teens enjoyed their stay with us. I appreciate your descriptions of the rides as they really are not just another trail ride. We enjoyed meeting you and your family and we look forward to your return!
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

My horse riding wife and (occassional rider me) stayed there arriving Christmas one year. It was fun, the food was good, it was relaxing and it was memorable. My dressage rider wife liked the riding and had no complaints about the horses, their condition, the tack, the rides, etc. (and she looks for those things.) The occassional rider me liked that the horses were sure footed, steady, never scared, had good "stop" and "go" buttons but were not butt to nose trail nags. We could canter and gallop if we wanted to or just walk or trot if we wanted that. The choice of rides and routes - Menonite farms, inland water holes, Rainforest Mountain sides, etc. - were interesting and quite varied.

The staff were great - friendly and helpful. The side trips were interesting, and Belize was overall a cool place to visit, and cooler with these staff as guides.

I would highly recommend the "surf and turf" experience. After the horses, we headed to the coast for some diving and water relaxation.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review! We really appreciate you describing the horses, the tack and their sure-footedness. We are glad you enjoyed the daily destinations and our wonderful staff! We agree that if possible, it is always great to spend a few days at the beach in Belize in order to round out the perfect vacation. Thanks again!
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

We are already staring at the calendar to figure out when we can go back to MET. Jim, Marguerite and the entire Bevis family and staff were warm, generous, and gracious hosts, like seeing old friends who shared their wealth of knowledge of local flora, fauna, folk medicine, and culture. We being an older couple with more interest in birds than horses, they went out of their way to provide daily wonders and adventures such as Cahal Pech or Tikal Mayan sites. At times there was such a rainbow of feathers at the feeders and birdbaths, it was as colorful as snorkeling a reef. Every morning wake up was the mystery of divining which birds, monkeys, or animals we were hearing in the growing light. The birding is excellent, on one three-hour ride we saw more species and variety than all our many jungle treks in Costa Rica combined. Everything about MET was comfortable, well-organized, efficient, and carefully thought out. The food was wonderful. It was simple to recharge IPads, IPhones, and cameras down at the Cantina each evening and the wifi worked great, but frankly by the second day we lost all interest being connected to anything outside the MET little universe. Our IPads became only useful for bird apps and to download and view the incredible pictures we were capturing. Actually the bird apps were only moderately useful because guides like Rigo or Arron were living apps, knowing every bird, tree, plant, animal, and sound. By the week’s end we had no idea what had happened in the rest of the world and were in no hurry to find out.

Room Tip: In the cabanas the oil lamps were no problem, actually very charming and peaceful, but we brought a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing such a wonderful review! We did so enjoy our time with you and we hope you will return, maybe next time with the rest of the family! Thank you for choosing MET out of all the places in the world you could have visited! We really enjoyed the stories and our time together. We are looking forward to your next visit!

Been to Mountain Equestrian Trails? Share your experiences!