“Never to late to post a review :)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Equestrian Trails

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cayo
Mountain Equestrian Trails
You added Mountain Equestrian Trails to your Saves list
Mile 8 Mountain Pine Ridge Rd | Cayo District, Belize   |
Ranked #8 of 49 Cayo B&B and Inns
Bellevue, Nebraska
“Never to late to post a review :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We decided to go back to MET after an 11 year absence. MET was just as cute as it was back then. I must say it was just as fun if not better this time around. I thought the food, beds and company was outstanding! The Bevis Family is the nicest people you will meet in Belize. When I left I felt like they were family.
I really enjoyed the waterfall ride. I don't like the hill you have to climb up and down (due to my own lack of exercise) but WELL worth it! Plus the lunch was still hot! Rico and his son are the best guides ever. Rico's machete in hand was the coolest! The horses are so cute too. I felt like I didn't have a care in the world riding Dixie. All I had to do was sit back and enjoy the scenery and take my many photos. I doesn't matter what level of riding experience you have, they have horses that will take care of you. Just make sure your body can handle being in a saddle for an all day ride!
I liked waking up to birds chirping. I missed the monkey this time. I didn't hear any.

Also if you get too sore from the rides and swimming at the waterfall, Allison can work the knots out of your body! That was an excellent massage. Back on my feet in not time.

Aaron made us the best video of our vacation. It was a hit with our friends back home. They could actually see what we were doing, much easier to explain with a YouTube video.
I was impressed and will go back. Hope it won't be another 11 years!

Room Tip: All the cabanas are wonderful
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
metbelize, Owner at Mountain Equestrian Trails, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
You are so right, it is never too late! Thank you for writing such a wonderful review! Your description will surely help visitors decide to give us a try. By the way, we have new feature destinations, which guests are raving about, so don't wait too long to come back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Wow! What a vacation! I went to Mountain Equestrian Trails with my 3 teenagers for spring break. We had wonderful experiences riding through the rain forest, past Mennonite farms and to Mayan ruins, swimming in waterfalls, and exploring caves. The horses were so well trained and very sure footed. There were plenty of opportunities for cantering and trotting (or just walking) so the trail rides, both in the mountains and on the roads, were lively and fun. Not the plodding, walk along trail rides most of us are used to in the US. We took in nearby attractions like zip lining and a butterfly farm. MET organized a day trip to Tikal in Guatemala for us. There was so much to do. At the end of each day my kids were happy and tired. We all got plenty of exercise, fresh air and fresh food. The accommodations were clean and the beds were so very comfortable. There isn't electricity in the rooms but plenty of light is available using kerosene lanterns. The delicious food is served family style and includes plenty of fresh, local produce. The staff is wonderful. The owners, Jim and Marguerite and family, make you feel so welcome and able to relax immediately. The trail guides are really well qualified and can tell you everything about the local plants, animals, geology, archeology and Belize history. Gio was the perfect guide for my kids, they all loved him. At the end of the day, the small bar in the cantina offers local beer and a variety of rum drinks. There is wifi in the cantina for a few hours at night so my kids could FB and message their friends. The lack of TV, electricity and connectivity didn't bother them at all after the first day. For a special treat, the owner's 5 year old granddaughter can show you how to lure a tarantula out of its burrow and how to safely play with it. There is a massage therapist on site if you're feeling a few bumps and soreness from the day of riding. Before we even left my kids were asking how soon we could come back, so it was a vacation success.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
metbelize, Owner at Mountain Equestrian Trails, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I am very happy to hear your teens enjoyed their stay with us. I appreciate your descriptions of the rides as they really are not just another trail ride. We enjoyed meeting you and your family and we look forward to your return!
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

My horse riding wife and (occassional rider me) stayed there arriving Christmas one year. It was fun, the food was good, it was relaxing and it was memorable. My dressage rider wife liked the riding and had no complaints about the horses, their condition, the tack, the rides, etc. (and she looks for those things.) The occassional rider me liked that the horses were sure footed, steady, never scared, had good "stop" and "go" buttons but were not butt to nose trail nags. We could canter and gallop if we wanted to or just walk or trot if we wanted that. The choice of rides and routes - Menonite farms, inland water holes, Rainforest Mountain sides, etc. - were interesting and quite varied.

The staff were great - friendly and helpful. The side trips were interesting, and Belize was overall a cool place to visit, and cooler with these staff as guides.

I would highly recommend the "surf and turf" experience. After the horses, we headed to the coast for some diving and water relaxation.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review! We really appreciate you describing the horses, the tack and their sure-footedness. We are glad you enjoyed the daily destinations and our wonderful staff! We agree that if possible, it is always great to spend a few days at the beach in Belize in order to round out the perfect vacation. Thanks again!
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

We are already staring at the calendar to figure out when we can go back to MET. Jim, Marguerite and the entire Bevis family and staff were warm, generous, and gracious hosts, like seeing old friends who shared their wealth of knowledge of local flora, fauna, folk medicine, and culture. We being an older couple with more interest in birds than horses, they went out of their way to provide daily wonders and adventures such as Cahal Pech or Tikal Mayan sites. At times there was such a rainbow of feathers at the feeders and birdbaths, it was as colorful as snorkeling a reef. Every morning wake up was the mystery of divining which birds, monkeys, or animals we were hearing in the growing light. The birding is excellent, on one three-hour ride we saw more species and variety than all our many jungle treks in Costa Rica combined. Everything about MET was comfortable, well-organized, efficient, and carefully thought out. The food was wonderful. It was simple to recharge IPads, IPhones, and cameras down at the Cantina each evening and the wifi worked great, but frankly by the second day we lost all interest being connected to anything outside the MET little universe. Our IPads became only useful for bird apps and to download and view the incredible pictures we were capturing. Actually the bird apps were only moderately useful because guides like Rigo or Arron were living apps, knowing every bird, tree, plant, animal, and sound. By the week’s end we had no idea what had happened in the rest of the world and were in no hurry to find out.

Room Tip: In the cabanas the oil lamps were no problem, actually very charming and peaceful, but we brought a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing such a wonderful review! We did so enjoy our time with you and we hope you will return, maybe next time with the rest of the family! Thank you for choosing MET out of all the places in the world you could have visited! We really enjoyed the stories and our time together. We are looking forward to your next visit!
Eastham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

This trip was an incredible trip the minute we stepped off the plane. Not a moment wasted we immediately started our activities but in no way did we feel rushed at any time. A true feel of Belize and its splendor. The rooms were clean and well thought out for a peaceful and enjoyable experience in the rain forest. This is a family run business in which the family's and staff goes above and beyond to make all our needs and everything we do perfect. They made us feel right at home and part of the family itself. Riding trips were an experience in itself. being a novice rider I felt comfortable in the saddle and actually became a better rider. At the same time My daughter is an advanced rider in western pleasure and also dressage and was extremely happy with the ability of the horses she was riding. From walking and cantering along many trails and mountain trails the horses were surefooted and a pleasure to ride. The locations we went to where just breathtaking from incredible caverns to beautiful waterfalls in which we got to cool off and swim with an enjoyable lunch before we returned to the trail. We also got to visit many Mayan ruins some untouched for many years and yet to be unearth while others that are archaeological digs for all the enjoy. Our guides I must say were excellent and which could answer any question we had regarding the wildlife, the habitat or history of the ancient Mayan people. Even though we had been given an itinerary of the activities I had no idea it would be an experience of a lifetime! On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give this experience an 11!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so very much for writing such a lovely review. Thanks for describing the horses and your satisfaction with the rides. We really enjoyed meeting you all and we look forward to seeing you again either here or there! We are looking forward to your daughter's return in the Fall and hope it can be a rewarding experience for her! Thanks again, your review means so much to all of us!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Staying at MET is like going to visit favorite relatives you haven't seen for a while. Relatives that just happens to live in one of the most spectacular locations in the world. The horses are calm and sure footed, which is a good thing, because they go up and down trails I never would've attempted on my own. They take you through the breath taking jungle to caves and water falls, swimming and short hikes, then bring you back for a family meal. The cabanas don't have electricity, but they do have hot water, clean sheets and quiet. And it's hard to remember how many stars there really are in the sky until you get this far away from the city. Go, ride the horses, enjoy the jungle, and let the family welcome you.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Thank you so much for writing such a great review. I appreciated you mentioning our wonderful horses and ability to handle very challenging trails. We are glad you appreciated the peace and quiet our cabanas provide. Thank you so much for choosing MET! We enjoyed getting to know you!
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

What an amazing experience! Beautiful, remote location. Very rustic but with all the amenities you want (hot water, internet). Truly wonderful tour guide (Giovanni), and one-of-a-kind experiences such as horseback riding to a cave through which you canoe! The food was also authentic and superb. Very comfortable folks run the lodge, and we felt like we were welcome houseguests (very well-cared-for houseguests, that is). Highest recommendation.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for writing a great review for us! We are glad you felt like houseguests as that is our goal. We agree that Giovanni is the best tour guide! We also have more one-of-a-kind experiences for the next time you return! Thanks again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo
Ka'ana Boutique Resort and Spa
Green Parrot Beach Houses
#4 of 20 in Placencia
4.5 of 5 stars 263 reviews
Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Jungle Lodge

Been to Mountain Equestrian Trails? Share your experiences!