“Let's Review the Cave, not The Tour Companies” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Ranked #1 of 38 Attractions in Cayo
Type: Caverns/ Caves, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: This remote cave is filled with relics left over from the Mayans.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Philadelphia
“Let's Review the Cave, not The Tour Companies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

This is a phenomenal perspective of both ancient archeology and geology. The cave experience is beyond words, as is the siting of hundreds of artifacts and remnants of Mayan civilization. There are 2-3 professional videos out there on the cave (e.g., NatGeo and THC) that will give you a flavor for this cave and the tour experience. Do NOT miss this experience if you are in Belize.

This tour is not for the faint-hearted, as described well below. Anybody who visits Belize must go on this tour, which is going to be pretty much the same experience regardless of the tour company.

Visited January 2011

Los Angeles, California
11 attraction reviews
“This is a must do, must see, experience of a lifetime!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

I am agoraphobic, claustrophobic, hypoglycemic (and not that adventurous) woman in my 50's and if I can do this, you can, too! Now I am not saying that it doesn't take some level of skill because it does. You need to be able to hike (moderate level) and swim and climb over rocks. So if you are reasonably physically fit, you will do great! This is recommended for all ages. It is so fun and unbelievable!!! Oh, and don't wear your best shoes because they get wet. I wore sneakers with a decent tread and gave them away to the guide when we were done. We booked an early tour out of Pook's Hill. It's about an hour drive (dirt road) from the lodge to the cave. Then a 45 minute hike that is fairly flat but you have to cross a 2 to 3 foot high river. Then they brief you about the cave and give you a helmet. You swim into the cave, they put a head light on you and you're good to go. The guide takes you through the cave climbing over rocks and through water. It is remarkably clean because a river runs through it. And there is a dry area that you get to walk around and learn about the Mayan civilization that inhabited the cave. I don't remember how long we were in the cave... maybe 2 hours? Remarkable! And they serve you lunch when you get out. Nothing fancy, just sandwiches and banana bread. Ready to book your tour? Good! Have fun!

Visited December 2010
Houston, Texas
11 attraction reviews
“An amazingly powerful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

We went on the ATM tour with Pacz Tours (guide Manuel) on Dec 28. I was nervous b/c I am a bit claustrophobic and REALLY arachnophobia, but I guess I am an even bigger "Maya geek" because I went. Groups are limited to 8, but I don't think there is a limit to the number of groups. Manuel told us that his company alone probably brings about 50 people to the site per day. I know this doesn't seem like much, but when you consider the fragility of the environment and the priceless artifacts that it houses, 50 is probably even too many.

The hike in and out of the cave is a blast in and of itself. Definitely one of those this-would-never-fly-in-America experiences! We were with a fairly young group, but we saw kids (around 12 yrs old) and older people (60+) with other groups. As long as you are willing to go SLOW and listen to your guide, you will be fine.

When you get to the end of the hike, you climb some rocks, take off your shoes and proceed in your socks b/c, as Manuel explained, we are more mindful of where we step when we aren't in shoes. Everything that was found in the cave was left in pretty much the state that it was found in with only fluorescent orange tape on the ground separating trampling feet from centuries-old Mayan pottery. The "highlight" of the tour is the complete, calcified skeleton of a woman that they show you at the end. I've seen the Ice Maiden of Peru...in a museum. Seeing this body EXACTLY where it was laid hundreds or thousands of years ago was a completely different experience. One, in fact, that I wasn't sure I was meant to be having.

In summary, ATM is a great experience, but one that may be short-lived. Even our guides are conflicted about bringing tourists to the site, and I don't blame them. If you go, as you are wading through water with your fancy water shoes and headlamp, think of the Mayans who entered this cave with nothing but torches. And when you get to the end, please be respectful and thank the lingering spirits for sharing their space with you.

Visited December 2010
Boston, MA
“ATM is a must see in Belize and Carlos Panti is the guide to use”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

My girlfriend and I were in Belize for New Year's 2011 and got to San Ignacio on January 1st, 2011. We booked our ATM tour through our hotel and got Carlos Panti as our guide on January 2nd, 2011. We paid $80 per person which is a very fair rate especially given the unique things we saw. The cave is a must see and was the highlight of our trip. If you are thinking about doing it do it before it is shut down. And if you decide to do it give Carlos Panti a call at 011-501-669-5552 or email him at carlos.caveguide@yahoo.com. I think he made the experience incrementally better, he is knowledgeable and has an acute sense of humor. If you do use him tell him Romania and Mrs. Jersey say hello, he will know what you mean...

Visited January 2011
London, United Kingdom
“A "must" in Belize!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

Good Points
* We went with CAT tours (Ben) who was brilliant
* Picked us up from our hotel which was in the middle of nowhere and took us back.
* Ben also dropped us off at a shop on the way to the tour to pick up some bug spray.
* Lunch was good - especially the banana bread, we even bought a whole loaf to take home.
* Great experience

Bad Points
* Maybe if we are being extra picky to find something to be critical about, is that we would have liked more time to take photographs (with a waterproof camera)

Points to Consider
* You have to cross 1 river 3 times to get to the cave which is cold and waist deep
* It is a wet cave and some places you have to swim
* Take a pair of socks that can be thrown away afterwards
* You do have to climb up rocks in some places

Great experience!!! There are two things you have to do in Belize, this and Hol Chan.