“See reviews for ATM Cave” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM) Caves from San Ignacio
Ranked #1 of 65 things to do in Cayo
More attraction details
Owner description: This remote cave is filled with relics left over from the Mayans.
Phoenix, Arizona
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 151 helpful votes
“See reviews for ATM Cave”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

This is the actual name for the ATM cave, so check out those reviews. It's definitely a tour worth doing!!! No reason to add more here.

Visited February 2014

La Salle, Illinois
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Hurry”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

What a journey ! One of the best adventures I've had the pleasure of experiencing . Three river crossings up to your chest ( we said cold, our guide said refreshing ), a swim through a pond at the cave entrance,sloshing upstream through the cave, taking the Maya elevator ( say 20 foot rock with footholds cut into it ) and walking in your stocking feet observing artifacts in a limestone cave. Wow, what an adventure. Did I forget the 20 foot ladder to the upper chamber ?
The reason I say hurry is because I don't know how long this tour is going to be available. There is so much damage being done to the artifacts by clumsy and stupid tourists that they may have to remove them or close off certain areas.
If it's open , do it !!

Visited December 2013
The Woodlands, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing adventure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I was hesitant to begin this adventure, but I am so grateful my husband and I chose this tour. We had an awesome tour guide (phonetically his name is gliss but I can't attest to spelling) who was extremely patient, fun, and informative. Hiking, 3 river crossings, and swimming into a cave are awesome enough. The adventure is yet to begin....our guide kept saying the water is "refreshing". It is a little bit colder than that but not bad. The cave has some tight places but they don't last long and the scenery (rock formations) is phenomenol. Once you reach the "end", where you begin seeing the relics, it is like walking through an untouched piece of history. I can only say, it was an amazing experience.

Specifics?
45 minute easy to moderate hike in. Highest river crossing was to my waist - I'm 5''10
2-2.5 hours in cave. 1.5-2 hours of it in water
45 minute return.

I wore water shoes. Socks are needed to walk once you're out of water.
Don't plan to bring anything with you but a bottle of water once you leave vehicle in parking lot.

Visited February 2014
Atlanta, GA
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“Carlos the Cave Man and Jam Jam!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I had read great reviews of Carlos before heading to Belize, but I ended up booking this trip through my hotel. So I was quite pleasantly surprised when I realized Carlos the Cave Man was going to be conducting our tour. He and Jam Jam did a great job of explaining the mystic properties the cave held for the ancient Maya, how the Maya used the cave, the process of exploring and opening the cave to the public, the impact of tourism in the area, and eventually, why you can't take a camera into the cave.

We had to skip ATM on the previous visit to Belize because the water level was too high and they weren't allowing visitors. We met a couple who had to rescue their guide when he got swept downstream on one of the river crossings. Well, when we finally got to go, it rained hard while we were eating lunch (excellent stew chicken) and in the cave, so at the final river crossing, the river was more than a foot higher than when we'd come in 3 or 4 hours prior. So I got swept downstream, couldn't touch the bottom, husband had to grab me and pull me to shore. Pretty crazy. Be prepared if it's the end of rainy season.

They have built a new bathroom facility where you can rinse the mud off and change into dry clothes before heading home.

We were there at the end of rainy season, so we had a 1.5-mile slippery, muddy, rainy hike, with 3 river crossings, in to the cave entrance. It was worse on the way back because it rained all day. I got bruised climbing around in the cave, I got washed downstream in a river...and it was AWESOME! One woman got hypothermic because she didn't have on enough clothes, and she had a fantastic time too.

PS - Our driver, Eddie, was awesome. It was about an hour to drive to the parking area for the cave, and he told us about the area -- who settled what village, farming in the area, local culture, all kinds of stuff. Sunlit fields of brahma cattle, sheep, and horses, trees full of parrots. I enjoyed the drive almost as much as the cave!

Visited January 2014
Carlisle, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Muddy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our ATM trip. Not a long ride away from San Ignacio, the most difficult part of the trip is the very slippy, muddy walk to the caves themselves which takes approx 45mins/1hour. Trainers are recommended, we wore reef shoes with good soles which worked well for us but the guides were did not recommend this option. You will get wet so be prepared, 3 river crossings and once at the caves there is a short easy swim to get in. I wore leggings and a long sleeved top and was not cold but a few were in shorts and t-shirt. The caves are rocky but fine to get around. Make sure you have socks on as you have to take your shoes off for the last part of the caves and the floor is rough. Lots to see while in the caves and very interesting

Visited January 2014