“Amazing Unforgettable Jungle Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amber Sunset Jungle Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo
Amber Sunset Jungle Resort
You added Amber Sunset Jungle Resort to your Saves list
Mile 59 Western Highway, Belize   |
Special Price
15% OFF NIGHTLY RATES
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Cayo
“Amazing Unforgettable Jungle Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Now don't judge the driveway as you make your up to the resort. The bumps are worth the amazing stay that awaits at Amber Sunset. Remember, you're in the jungle of Belize!! As you pull up to the resort, General Manager Giovanni is right there waiting to welcome you to the resort. And right on his tail is Rambo. A German Shepard mix that found his way to the resort during construction and was adopted by the staff. Upon checking in, we were lead up to our rooms. A well groomed concrete path leads you through the jungle. I wasn't quite sure what I had gotten my wife and I into until we walked into our room. I then knew exactly what I had gotten us into . . . an amazing cottage sitting atop the canopy of the Belizean Jungle!!! The cottage interior is built with local woods and you are opened (but screened) on three sides of the building. Just breathtaking. No windows to close at night or open in the morning. Just the sounds of the jungle. The bedding and amenities are first class and we even had our own stone bath sitting under the stars.

After settling in, we explored a bit and headed down to the restaurant. We were met by continued first class service. Asad was waiting to greet us as we stepped into the restaurant. We stayed there for 7 nights and he was there to help us with whatever we needed (drinks, food, games, you name it). He even hosted us for a day, guiding us through the town of San Ignacio where we were able to get the local tour by someone who grew up there. Really cool. The meals were great. Kelvin and Jose are the chefs. And although they are young, they have good technical training and put out great meals. Breakfast and lunches are ordered off the menu and then dinners represent all of the different cultures found throughout Belize. Pretty neat to experience all of the different types of food. Asad had gone over out entire week's dinner menu on our first night and we were able to change a couple things per our specific likes. You'll also meet Juliette, who not only maintains the rooms but also served us a few breakfasts too. Not to mention doing a load of laundry for us before we headed to eight days in Placencia. What an added touch!!!

I have to mention that from my first inquiry about the resort, Giovanni was quick to respond and answer ALL my questions. Other than our day into town, we were set up for three additional excursions. Caracol, ATM and Cave Tubing. I highly recommend doing Caracol before you do the ATM tour. After getting an understanding of the Mayan culture, it made ATM so much more meaningful. If you can, make sure you request John August as your guide. The guy is a modern day McGuyver Survivalist that makes for an AWESOME guide. He's born and raised in Belize and has a wealth of knowledge on Mayan culture and the ecosystem that make for unforgettable experiences. Thanks again Giovanni for setting that up!! Unfortunately the heavy rains forced the cancelation of our tubing (due to unsafe river flows) but it didn't put a damper on the trip at all. We just spent the day by the pool continuing to get first class service.

One last thing I would like to note because it really represents the honesty at Amber Sunset. Prior to our stay, I had set up a meal plan with Giovanni. Figured it would be easier that signing a bill each time we ate. Upon checkout, Giovanni informed me that he just charged us for our individual meals instead of the plan. Because it was less expensive for us that way. How honest is that!?! That really represents the caring staff at the entire Amber Sunset Resort.

My wife and I have travelled the globe, and rarely return to the same place twice, but Amber Sunset is a place we will never forget and surely revisit. Just amazing!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Giovanni P, General Manager at Amber Sunset Jungle Resort, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for this really great review! At Amber Sunset, we are all about ensuring our guests are comfortable and having the time of their lives. I will pass on the compliments to John; and you are right! He is a modern day MacGyver! Thank you again, and I look forward to your next stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have never seen anything quite like Amber Sunset so was not sure what to expect. We arrived after a long drive from Belize City to be met by two gentlemen carrying fresh fruit rum drinks. (Always a good sign!) we were given a quick tour and shown to our rooms which were huts but seemed like being in a treehouse situated in the trees, very cool! The rooms were sparse but had all one needed- a swinging bed, a hammock, a beautiful bathroom with outside sunken tub, what more do you need? A hairdryer? I called the front desk and one appeared. We were given a flashlight to light our way along the path to the dining room where we had an incredible dinner and dessert. I also enjoyed meeting Rambo, their mascot dog who met us on our arrival and walked with us on our tour and also met me in the morning outside my room and accompanied me on an early morning walk. Beautiful surroundings, you definitely feel like you are in a different world.
It was very hot when we were there so the pool felt wonderful and it is conveniently located near the outside bar, again, what more do you need.

Room Tip: The rooms are open air with screens and a ceiling fan, I was alittle warm but then I am always hot s...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for this great review Cindy! It was wonderful to have you stay with us! I look forward to having you stay with us again real soon! Take care!
Belize City, Belize
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My family & I were at Amber Sunset w/ a group of doctora and had another wonderful experience once again. The ambience, the accomodations, the food and staff all added to a superb vacation. Our team from Richmond, Va. Loved it and will surely be back!

Room Tip: Swinging bed cabin
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the great review! It was great to see all the doctors and nurses unwinding and relaxing after generously giving back to the children of Belize. Looking forward to next year already!
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for the final three nights of our honeymoon. We loved it. We were the only guests at the resort (it was low season) and we were waited on hand and foot by the entire staff. Everyone knew us by name after the first day. Assad, the concierge, adopted us and became a kind of local big brother. He provided non-stop conversation about Belize, the culture, the people, and the lifestyle. He even gave us an impromptu Punta dance lesson one night.

In fact, it is the local touch that sets this place apart from the other luxury jungle lodges in the area. The staff were proud to point out that the lodge is owned and operated by Belizeans, from the maid, to the chefs, to Assad the concierge, to the owners. The manager, Giovanni, even personally drove us to the airport at the end of our stay. They seemed to operate more like a family than just a business, and it was apparent that they all took the success of their lodge as a matter of personal pride.

However, all the local flavor does not detract from the fact that this place provides a top shelf luxury experience. Our "room" was larger than our apartment back home, and was the epitome of jungle chic---hardwood galore, creative architectural detail, and decorated with local arts and crafts. We had a private enclosed outdoor jacuzzi and a plush bed suspended from the ceiling in our room, not to mention a view over the jungle canopy where we could watch the parrots flying about every morning and evening. There was only one decoration detail that missed the mark---the inflatable soccer balls around the pool area. But these gave us something to chuckle about as we soaked up the rest of the luxurious surroundings. The food was good and creative (the chefs are recruited from the local culinary school). The lodge is also plugged in to the local tour guides, so that you can do any of the typical Belizean tour activities as day trips. We toured the amazing ATM caves, visited two of the nearby Mayan temples, and took a day to wander around San Ignacio.

If you want a luxurious lodge where you can engage with locals and learn a bit about Belize from the inside, this is your place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for this wonderful review! It was our greatest pleasure to help make your Belize honeymoon very special! We take great pride in everything we do here at Amber Sunset. I am looking forward to your next visit!
Belize City, Belize
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Took My Girlfriend for her birthday and we had so much fun!!!!...The Service was great and the food was awesome. We were to only spend one night but the 1st day was so great we had to stay another day...Spent nearly the entire day in the pool,we took some walks and saw a lot of birds and butterflies and many more animals. The cabanas were very beautiful and the view of cayo at night was beautiful...will surely take another trip soon....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for this great review! I am happy you and your girlfriend enjoyed our beautiful treehouses. I look forward to seeing you again soon!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My fiance and I love to travel, but sometimes we have a hard time picking a destination. He prefers adventuring and roughing it, while I prefer city life and fancy hotels. Luckily for us, we found Amber Sunset Jungle Resort, which combined the best of both worlds.

For him, the location and setting of the resort was more exotic and exciting than a typical hotel. Nestled up in the jungle, three of the four walls in our room were made up mostly of screened windows, so we fell asleep and woke up with the sights and sounds of nature. The room itself was spacious, beautifully decorated, and immaculately cleaned every day. The housekeeper even left little touches for us daily, like "Welcome" spelled out on the bed in palm leaves for our arrival, and different animals made out of our bath towels left on the bed each day.

Mentioning the housekeeper brings me onto the next thing - the service. Each member of the small staff here goes out of there way to make sure that every single one of your needs is met (they are so attentive that it was actually a little strange at first! The level of service is insane!) The young manager, Giovanni, sent me a few e-mails prior to our arrival to ask about things like dietary restrictions, allergies, and transportation to and from the resort. His attention to detail ensured that our entire stay went off without any complications or issues. During our stay, we were actually the only people at the resort, and everyone bent over backwards to make sure that we were having a good time and were taken care of.

The location of the resort itself is a little bit in the middle of nowhere - it's about a 10-15 minute drive to the neighboring town of San Ignacio, and many of the cultural attractions are a drive away as well. We opted not to rent a car during our stay, as the rental fees in Belize were quite expensive (now that we've completed our trip, my advice to other travelers would be skip the car if you're doing a lot of tours during your days/are cool with hanging at the resort restaurant/bar at night... if you're more into exploring on your own, or want a more active night scene, rent the car). We ended up having most of our dinners at the resort, which were delicious and reasonably priced, and spent our nights at the resort bar (special mention to Asad, coolest bartender/all around awesome guy!). On our last night, we did venture out into San Ignacio to check out the local bars, and Asad and Giovanni were very helpful in coordinating transportation for us.

This is getting long now, but I also do want to mention the tours that we went on through the resort. Giovanni hooked us up with Louis, a local guide, who was absolutely fantastic. As we toured the Mayan ruins, I noticed that Louis was taking us into areas and explaining things that it seemed most of the other guys were completely skipping. If you are planning any tours through this resort, I highly recommend requesting Louis as your guide.

All in all, I am beyond pleased with booking this hotel, and would recommend it to others without any reservations. For a price that is beyond reasonable, guests here stay in beautiful rooms, are served fantastic food, and most importantly, are treated to unbeatable service. I would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: The Garifuna Room with the swinging bed is fun for couples!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Giovanni P, General Manager at Amber Sunset Jungle Resort, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for this awesome review Alex! It was truly a pleasure to make your vacation with us memorable and special. I hope to see you and Zach again very soon. Take care!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This summer I stayed an overnight at Amber Sunset with my girlfriend. I must say it was one of the most wonderful experiences ever. We arrived in time for lunch, which was very delicious. We then went to our room (which was gorgeous) and changed off for a swim. We spent the afternoon and evening relaxing by the pool while Asad made us margaritas and mojitos. His mojito was by far the closest I've ever tasted to the real Cuban Mojito, especially with the mint leaves he picked off his plant right infront of me. You cant get any more fresh than that! If the drinks and relaxing in the pool wasnt enough, We got a real treat at the end of the evening by some of the local birds. The toucans serenaded us and put on a wonderful show, dancing in the trees around us. In the night we had an amazing dinner by the pool side enjoying the peaceful sounds of nature. The rooms and shower kept that natural feel but still had so much class. A very delicate but impressive balancd. The bed was so soft and comfortable my girlfriend struggled to wake me up in the morning. We then went down for breakfast and were greated with big smiles and very positive attitudes. The service at Amber is definitely the best I've received compared to the other hotels I've stayed in. Definitely returning in the near future.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for this great review! I am glad you and your girlfriend had a fantastic evening at our Wild Things Bar & Pool. I surely look forward to your next visit!