“Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Belize City
Bloomington, Indiana
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I stayed here for three nights for my first visit to Belize City, and am so glad I did. All the staff are very helpful and kind, and the building is secure (with its own security guard). I had a room on the second floor facing Marlin's--the restaurant next door, which is good!--with a fan and private bath. The room was very clean and comfortable and I didn't have any problem with noise. The veranda was a really nice place to catch a breeze and hang out. I'd heard a lot of bad things about Belize City from other travelers and Belizeans alike...but it doesn't deserve its bad rap. It's like any other big city. I walked around for hours...I'm a young woman traveling alone, and I never felt unsafe. If I had, there were plenty of taxis to take me wherever I needed to go for pretty cheap (I had to take one anyway because I'd gotten lost on the north side of the city and was tired). Brody's, the supermarket nearby, has everything you could want, and there are decent restaurants nearby, like Marlin's and Cenie's diner, featuring Belizean dishes like stew chicken, beans and rice, and boil up. The Belcove is in a great location and it's a great value...highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

This hotel is fine for a 1 or 2 night stay when you want to experience "true" Belize City. The staff were very helpful and the room were clean(ish). However, the "safetly rules" regarding the area that we received upon checking in were alarming, but neccesary. Our room faced the street which provided us a constant noise to fall asleep to, and a real eyeful at night.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
ptld, or
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We too experienced a smell of mothballs. Not sure if it's from the water or what. We stayed in Belize City to experience all aspects of Belizean culture. At the Belcove the staff was helpful and the room and hotel is clean but I found it hard to be in this neighborhood. We seemed to be a novelty to the neighbors and were warned even during the day regarding the crime by store owners. We dressed understated and carried very little money around town so not to be targets. We did meet interesting people like the "prince of belize" but the feeling of poverty was hard for me to deal with.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Renton, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

We reserved two nights in a "deluxe" double hotel room and for US$50 a night wasn't expecting much but was not prepared for what we got. Opening our door we were overwhelmed by the smell of mothballs. Disturbingly, after being in the room for an hour we no longer noticed it. The room was clean and bug free (because of the mothballs ?). The air conditioning worked great which was good because we had two tiny windows near the ceiling that were so small and covered that we did not notice it until our last night. This room is closest to the front desk so avoid it if you can. What made up for the room was the excellent staff. As a previous reviewer stated, this hotel is "in a dicey area of a dicey city" (the staff also warned us of this) but they were responsive and helpful with all our requests. Looking for dinner delivered to the hotel? No problem. Looking for a bank or a nice restaurant to go to? No problem. Want them to book a tour? No problem! It was great. When my husband finally complained that he could not get the hot water to work in our dark little bathroom, the staff immediately fixed the problem then offered us a different room if we wanted. I was going to give this place 3 stars as an average budget hotel but the staff pushed them to 4 stars.

Room Tip: Do not be afraid to ask for a different room if you don't like the room you are in. I'm sure...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

I couldn't have asked for much more for just under US$30. I stayed twice on a recent trip and loved it both times. It's clean and attended by a friendly, accomodating staff. In a dicey area of a dicey city, safety did not seem to be an issue (the staff keeps a good eye on things, access is limited with one central entrance and there is a guard at night). My room did not have a private toilet/shower, TV or air-con - no big deal for the price (I believe some combination of the three are available for more money). The location is great: several markets/delis/restaurants within a short walk and so are the water taxi and bus stations (all within 5-10 minutes walk). The rooms are nothing fancy but there is a nice sitting area out back (and balconies above) by the river. I will stay here again when in Belize City.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Bellefonte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

This hotel is nothing special but it is clean and among your choices in Belize City, probably one of the better places to stay. It has a nice restaurant next door and it is right in downtown Belize City, which can be a plus or a minus depending on your point of view. Either way, one night is more than sufficient for Belize City.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

My first impression when the taxi brought me to the hotel was "what have I done to myself?" I thought we were driving down an alley, not a street.

However, I had a second floor room with private bath and air conditioning facing the street. Everything was spotlessly clean, plenty of hot water with good pressure. The room wasn't large, but more than adequate.

I spent a lot of time on the balcony overlooking the river. It's quite pleasant to watch the sun come up from there.

The staff were really great, helpful at all times.

I stayed in Belize City while I did things on the mainland, the left for Ambergris Caye. Belize City is not a place I felt safe, and I did not venture out at night. I did feel safe in this hotel.

Marlin's Restaurant beside the hotel serves excellent and inexpensive food. Take a table over the river and party with some locals.

Room Tip: Get a room with a private bath.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Belcove Hotel? Share your experiences!