“Avoid Belize City overall!” 2 of 5 stars

Seaside Guest House
3 Prince Street, Belize City, Belize   |
Ranked #17 of 26 Belize City B&B and Inns
Hong Kong, China
“Avoid Belize City overall!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

Belize City is a disgusting city. Avoid coming here at all if you don't have to.
As other tourists, I came to Seaside Guesthouse because of the famous guide book. The owners are warm and friendly, but the rooms are really terrible. Huge cockroaches were dancing on my bed. The toilet was terribly dirty, there were even cigarette butts in it! There's no hot water, the widows are all broken. I was really hoping I don't get any disease after staying there for one night.

As other tourists have mentioned, the owner himself definitely has lots of problems in his own life. But he gets his guests too much involved in it. What's more, he makes lots of noises. The night I was there, he was drinking and singing and playing loud music with his friends till very late at night. I couldn't sleep. As a hotel owner, that's very inconsiderate to his guests.

Overall, simply don't come to Belize City at all. If you have to come to this city, spend some more money and stay in better hotels.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

Like many other reviewers so far, I was woowed by the Lonely Planet review. Lonely Planet must be on some other planet. I left my book there when I left the next morning.

I stayed in the Deluxe room with its own bath & and was charged $35 US. My plan was to stay there for 2 nights while I waited for my daughter to arrive from the states. From the web site, the place looked quaint, said they offered "clean & sfae accomodations, & food & drink" I wasnt looking for the Ritz, but this place is filthy and about to fall down because of owner neglect. My room had ants everywhere, because they were eating all the wood. Also some very nice large roaches. I can accept & expect bugs in my room in Central America, but this the condition of this place is unacceptable for any kind of Hostel or Guest House. Windows were broken out and inoperable with no screens. Garbage and refuse littered the site, making the side yard BBQ area and most of the surroundings unusable. I was told by the owner at one point not to use certain stairs because they would collapse.

The owner tried to help me with a couple of personal issues (I paid him to make make a call on his phone), there was a lot of personal drama between the owner & his girlfriend, alcohol and or other consumption going on there, loud music & other noise very late into the early morning. This led to a very sleepless night.

I packed up in the morning went out to find some food (none offered on site) & found a new place to stay (Bayview Guest House which I recommend) $45 for double, very clean, with AC and TV.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

I have to say my experience was pretty similar to most of the other reviewers here. I didn't feel unsafe, but I most certainly felt uncomfortable and got out of Belize City ASAP. I learned way too much about the owner's personal lives, extremely unprofessional and uncomfortable for guests. I too was in the room with the broken window (while it was raining). No hot water, which is excusable when I was expecting it and when the price reflected it (neither were the case here). Find another place to stay in Belize City, you'll be glad you did.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Cardiff
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

I had not intended to stay in Belize City but unfortunately missed the last boat out to the cayes and was therefore stranded there. As with other reviewers I plumped for the seaside guest house on the lonely planet's recommendation, but found it was if they had been reviewing a completely different hotel!

I was charged 20 US dollars for a dorm bed in the smallest 4 person room I'd ever seen (elsewhere in Belize dorm rooms I stayed in cost an average of 7 US dollars) and a broken window which wouldn't close properly. There weren't enough keys for all the guests so luckily we got on well and could share the 2 we were given. The sheet had not been changed on my bed (there was rubbish underneath my pillow!) and I was not even given a top sheet or duvet to sleep under. The bathrooms weren't the dirtiest I've ever seen but they were pretty gross. It seems that this hotel is cashing in big time on being recommended by the lonely planet and travellers are getting misled and ripped off massively as a result.

Belize City itself was completely devoid of any positive attributes- dirty and REALLY scary. If you are a solo female traveller or even travelling with another girl like me I would seriously reconsider coming here. I couldn't wait to leave both the hostel and the city itself. Avoid at all costs and go straight to the beautiful cayes!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

Drunk landlord having relationship problems, neglected building, no hot water (someone stole the heater"), filthy.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

Had a great stay at the Seaside Hotel, which is a querky, old building full of character overlooking the sea. Its in a great location in a nice and safe neighbourhood, with everything only a short walk away. The owners Diane and Mitch are very helpful, Mitch likes to welcome you and if you fancy a couple of beers, he might be up for it too! There are dorms and private rooms available and the beds are very comfortable.. The hotel is clean and tidy with a TV room/chill area and plenty info on Belize city and the rest of the country.. I have read some of the other reviews and don't agree with them at all, people have these preconceptions that Belize City is a highly dangerous place which predjudices their stay, yes there are plenty of street hustlers who want to befriend you but just keep walking.. Im not saying there isnt muggings but compared to other places in CA, its safe.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Glasgow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

I still don't feel clean since leaving. I only stayed here as my flight had been cancelled and i dint want to stay a more expensive hotel.

Room was horrible and overpriced, owner was hungover stinking of booze and was keen to tell me of his financial woes.

Neighbourhood is dangerous don;t expect to get food after 6pm there's none at the guest house and you need to take the dog for protection if you want to go to the corner shop.

To top a bad stay I went to leave at 8 to get a taxi for the airport. I went to reception area and no-one was there i had to all my own taxi and nearly missed my flight as the only driver i had a number for was located 20mins from the guesthouse and i didn't know where best to get a taxi.

This place has survived at least 2 hurricanes lets hope it doesn't survive the next.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
hurricane4mitch, owner at Seaside Guest House, responded to this review, December 14, 2009
I remember this guest. As I recall he came from a $130 a night room to the Guesthouse for a $30 or $35 a night room.

The Seaside Guesthouse is not for travelers that are looking for 4 or 5 star accomodations This old colonial house on the sea that was built in the early 1900s might not be the best pick.
Our accomodations has seemed to attract Backpackers, naturalists, friends of the environment, students, various groups, and seekers young and old from all over the world.

I have been known to play a few tunes and have a jam session from time to time sharing some food, beers and Rum on the upper veranda overlooking the Caribbean.

As you can well guess, the old house has seen many a soul and the upkeep of this very unique spot is constant.