“Really not that bad...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 23 Belize City B&B and Inns
Miami, Florida
“Really not that bad...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

While on my way through Belize to Caye Caulker and San Pedro, I came across the guesthouse while taking a bus from Chetumal in Mexico. There is a wonderfully eclectic mix of people in Belize City, as was especially the case in this hostel. The management was always there to make a home-cooked meal, take us out to the local bars at night or fishing during the day. And of course Mitch was definitely a character with his tarot readings.

I can see some of the comments are probably from people expecting something greater than a backpacker's hostel. However I am more adventurous and for the price- I was glad to take the risk checking it out for myself after reading previous reviews...

Room Tip: Go for the dorms if you are on a budget...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I couldn't agree more with the other reviews. This place is a dump and I am pretty sure the staff who work there were into dealings of their own. I also felt uncomfortable from the minute I got there and couldn't wait to leave. The owner made me feel extremely uncomfortable and wouldn't let me leave to catch my flight until he finished my "reading" which he pushed me to do. The rooms are so small and I thought the bed was going to collapse as it shook the entire time (I am a small female who weighs 110 lbs). There was a hole in my mattress that smelt of cigarette smoke as everyone smokes in the common area right outside my room. I only stayed there for one night and there were strange people walking around there. I didn't sleep a wink that night, dogs were barking, random people coming and going all night. They said they would call me a taxi in the morning, instead some random guys showed up which is very unsettling for a small female travelling alone. There was one make shift toilet that didn't flush and that left one bathroom for everyone to use which was digusting. This place ruined my last night in Belize.

Room Tip: No tips. Just don't go.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Rochester, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

When we got there, it was some time in the afternoon, and we were greeted by a drunk {owner?] named Mitch. He took us upstairs to our room. I'm pretty sure the bed was made from plywood, and the sheets were probably never washed. There were a variety of stains, but the paper-thin walls were a nice distraction. This way, we could hear Mitch's hissy-fits - a nice, homey touch. We were famished, so we sought food, but Mitch insisted that we stay and eat with them. Another worker came back with rice and beans (we ended paying $10 for it, when we could have gone out and got it for cheaper). As we ate, Mitch ranted to us, making us feel very intimidated. I felt that he was the kind of person who pressures people into saying exactly what he wants them to say to him. He was also very physical, which made us that more eager to leave. His presence was very unsettling. I don't know how they keep visitors overnight. Everyone else seemed really nice, and they could have a nice establishment, but it needs to be cleaned - both of unsettling people and excess dust and clutter.

Room Tip: Just don't choose a room here. Go to the Cayes!!!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Rome, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Expensive, dirty, full of animals and strange people. We packed all our staff as soon as possible early in the morning (after spending the night wtching out for mouse and cucarachas) and run away from that horrible place.
Just don't go there.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Rome, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

The worst place ever, dirty and with mice/rats and all kind of insects. The rooms are overpriced, with dirty sheet and not really clean bathroom. Dorms are so small you cannot even move. The only positive thing is the kindness of the lady who runs the place.
Stay away from the seaside guesthouse!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Don't bother going there.

1) bedbugs.
2) weird drunk people coming in at any hour of the day/night, yelling weird things
3) the staff smokes (cigarettes) in the "main area" (ie: 1 meter from your room)
4) no hot water
5) pricey for what you get (which is basically, [--])
6) really uncomfortable bed
7) smelly sheets, they smelled as if they had no been washed for 2 years

Belize city itself sucks, don't bother stopping there at all, go directly to the Cayes, the jungle, placentia, or anywhere else.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Reached the place for a weekend off from my working routine.

I was treated kindly and had a good time . I was travelling alone and I could share time with the people working there - this is something you don't usually get.

the place is safe - if you're concerned about safety, ask them to hold your stuff in their locker - I asked them to put things in&out many times and they promptly helped.

I was near the airport and able to reach the reef to have a swim in one hour. Without knowing a thing about Belize and Belize city, I had the luck of having a good time and REBOOT from my everyday life in a clean safe urban environment.

enjoy your staying at Seaside Guesthouse ... and if you're looking for a Hotel, look for an Hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Seaside Guest House? Share your experiences!