“I heart Vitalino Reyes! Amazing, amazing, amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 62 activities in Belize City
Type: Water sports
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: This cave tubing experience is with one of the cave tubing pioneers in Belize. Those touring with cavetubing.bz will be educated about the country of Belize, the flora and fauna, the history of the ancient Maya, and the geological and archaeological information about the cave and the area. We have experience with taking care of guests of most ages and conditions, and the comfort and safety of our people is of utmost concern to us. Tours take place in Cayo District, an hour outside of Belize City.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
San Francisco, California
“I heart Vitalino Reyes! Amazing, amazing, amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

I just came back from Belize and I have to say that the cave tubing adventure and tour of Altun Ha with Vitalino were the highlights of our trip. I'm convinced that Vitalino knows everything about everything-my friend and I were hard pressed to find a question that he couldn't answer (and believe me we tried!). We were so inspired by his spirit of adventure that we ended up conquering several of our fears that day-my friend who is deathly afraid of heights, spiders, and ants climbed to the top of two Mayan pyramids, wore a tarantula on her hat and ate a termite straight from the hive!

Vitalino took us to the depths of hell and back and I mean that literally, we were in the first level of the Mayan underworld in a cave so dark that you couldn't see your own hand in front of your eyes. It was completely thrilling! It could have been scary, but Vitalino's sense of humor and easy going nature turned the experience into a great adventure.

Everything about our experience with Vitalino was great-from booking the tour with his assistant Judy, who was extremely helpful and quick to respond to all my emails, to the actual tour itself. Vitalino was able to accomodate our last minute request to do two tours in one day, and even showed up early to pick us up from the ferry terminal. We had such a great time that we ended up eating dinner with him and his little son, and they even dropped us off at our hotel afterwards!

If you are a women or several women travelling together I would highly recommend booking with Vitalino. We ran into some shady tour operators who tried to lure us into ditching out on Vitalino's tour with lower prices. I can't tell you how happy I am that I didn't cave into the temptation to save 10 or 20 bucks. One of those guys ended up practically stalking us. When you're spending all day in a foreign country with a man you're never met, the last thing you want to worry about is being leared at when you're in your bathing suit or felt up when you're in a dark cave. Vitalino was personable and fun but extremely professional. I really can't say enough about what an amazing time we had!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Toronto
3 attraction reviews
“Cave Tubing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

We were in Belize last May 1, 2008. We decided to join Vitalino's group based on all the reviews we saw in TripAdvisor. And we don't regret doing so.

Vitalino's group is really great. They were very accommodating and made sure that our group is well taken care of. Vitalion's group is one of the best I joined and I highly recommend that you join them when you go to Belize.

Argyle, NY
“Amazing tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

I booked this tour prior to our cruise and saved about 1/2 the price the cruise boat was charging. Vitalino was waiting as promised at the pier and the tour was better than I had ever expected. We were the first group out on the private tour.We had 6 people so we were treated to a more personal experience than a large group that the cruise boats draw. We also toured 2 caves and the cruise boat only went through one. Our lunch was also included.

As a tourist we are all skeptical of booking on line. He did not require a charge card number to make reservations and I paid cash for our tour the day of our arrival. Vitalino and his son were the most gracious of hosts, as we had a wonderful and memory filled time in Belize.

My husband and I are considering a land vacation to Belize in the future and he told us that he would be avalible for other types of tours as well. I will be in contact with Vitalino again!!!!

Denver, CO
“Highlight of Our Cruise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2008

On our April 2008 cruse with Carnival Legend to Exotic Western Caribbean, we visited Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan Island of Honduras. We had a great time everywhere, but Cave Tubing in Belize with Vitolino was by far the best experience of this and, possibly, all of our previous cruises (except maybe some Hawaii explorations).

This activity includes about an hour-long drive from the port, short but extremely pleasant hike towards the caves through the rain forest, the very cave tubing down the slow, shallow river, and a traditional lunch on the way back.

I saw and talked with people who made their reservations with the cruise and online, with large agencies, and realized how lucky we were to be in a small (only 10 people) group attended by two guides - Vitolino and his son.

First, about the logistics. We paid $45 pp (a typical online fee, much smaller than the cruise charges, of course) which included lunch. Email communication was very prompt and thorough. As soon as we disembarked and found Vitolino, we hit the road. The timing of the whole event was perfect. We never felt rushed nor did we feel any danger of being late for embarkation.

During the drive to the cave park, we had a nice tour of the Belize City and the country as a whole. The driver was eager to answered all questions with thoroughness. However, the real difference started appearing during the rain forest hike. Vitolino gave us many interesting details about the forest, different species of trees and animals, stopped many times to give us a taste and smell of some plants used by the natives. We watched a large, pregnant tarantula and tasted some coconut and termites (very pleasant, refreshing, a bit acidic taste - if you have guts to chew on those insects while they are trying to escape between your fingers). We saw large groups of cruise and other excursions passing by along the trail without any attention...

The most important were the unique views inside the caves. Firstly, our small group went higher than most others, so we did an extra cave for the same price. Most importantly, there are plenty of shallow and crowded places where you see those poor people struggling to move forward and paying very little attention to the breathtaking beauty around. Not us! We split into two small groups (3 and 7 people, Vitolino's young son took 3 of us), arranged a "train", and were smoothly pulled by our guides avoiding all the traps and traffic jams. We've heard lots of comments full of envy from the struggling individuals we were passing by...like "oh, you guys, must've bought first class tickets!" and such.

Again, the views inside the caves, especially in places with "windows" into the surrounding rain forest, are absolutely breathtaking and truly unique, incomparable to anything I've seen before. In addition, the moments of transferring from the darkness of the caves into the peaceful floating on your back under the blue sky, green forest canopy and worm (at that moment - not hot but pleasantly worm!) sun - I am melting in pleasure just trying to recall those moments! That's, of course, because we were carefully pulled by our guides, so we could lay back and relax...people around were still struggling to steer their tubes (not a very handy flotation device) and avoid being stuck on a shallow place.

On the way back - a nice traditional lunch with chicken stewed in coconut milk, rice and fried banana, and a worm, friendly conversation with hospitable and very proud of his own small business Vitalino. He even gave those of us who made reservations t-shorts with his logo...icing on the cake.

To finish, highly recommend this experience to anybody who loves nature explorations.

Seattle, Washington
3 attraction reviews
“Vitalino is the Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

We were in Belize from April 5-14th. Cave Tubing with Vitalino was a highlight of the trip. Vitalino was friendly, enthusiastic and a wonderful tour guide. His obvious knowledge and pride in his Mayan heritage was a huge advantage to us as a family. The information he imparted to us just on the hike to the spot where we entered the river was fantastic, allowing us to taste native seeds and plants and even....yuck....termites! My boys, 11 and 13 were thrilled! Even though Vitalino lost his shoes and his headlamp on the trip, he was great and more concerned about our enjoyment.
Thanks for a fantastic afternoon!