“Much Potential” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bachelor Inn

You added Bachelor Inn to your Saves list
Bachelor Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5931 Bachelor Ave. | West Landivar, Belize City, Belize   |
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Belize City
Belize City, Belize
“Much Potential”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Hello Everybody,

I am a Belizean who travels a lot and stays in many hotels. If foreigners are looking for '5 Star' hotels, then Bachelor Inn is not where you want to be. It is indeed very reasonable, especially for individuals who want to stay one night or two. The rooms are spacious, A/C, fan, TV, and mini kitchen for all those who want to cook spend more than a week. People who want to spend less than BZ100.00 per night, Bachelor Inn is the ideal place to stay. I most say that this place is NOT a Motel, it is a Hotel. You simply get what you are paying for, so please don't complain negatively.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I arrived 2 days ago at the Bachelor Inn with the plan to rest after a long period of traveling before catching my flight to NY the following morning. the area is quite shabby and not safe at all. the owner was away when I arrived and took my payment as soon as she could (wrong change by the way, but that could have been just distraction) and did not spend one second to show me around. instead she asked briskly the cleaning lady to take me to my room.
the room was spacious but dirty. It had a good small fridge, a microwave, and a decent fan.
NO towels, no soap. An old toothbrush was left on the leaving room sink together with a mug containing some encrusted washing powder ,and some other amenities. the bathroom wasn't clean either.
I assisted at the most embarrassing drama in the first few minutes after arrival: the owner shouted at the cleaning lady (the only person who has been nice and helpful to me) because she dared disturbed her as she did not remember which switch had to turn for the room in question. she kept shouting like mad for a good 5 minutes in front of me, telling her that she was fired! I told her to stop abusing the young lady and she replied that she was just stupid!!
I was tempted to leave on the spot but the hotel in in the middle of nowhere.
The roof terrace is good, but when I was resting on the wooden chairs I got disturbed by a drunk woman who managed to come up in search of company. the food available in the two places around the hotel is not good either: I tried both (one for lunch, one for dinner), and amazingly enough the following morning I had stomach ache and diarrhoea although I devolved more than half of the portions to the poor street dogs who populate the surroundings. (never happened in 3 weeks of traveling in Belize and Mexico eating all sort of street food!).
It's cheap, but it's not worth the saving!!
stay away.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
St. Louis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My girlfriend and I booked the Bachelor Inn for two nights. We arrived in the evening after a full day of touring the mayan ruins, horse back riding and cave tubing. The surrounding neighborhoods are pretty shoddy and did not feel safe. There were several groups of people standing around drinking in the streets. (it was on their Independence Day tho, so that may have contributed to this) When we got to the hotel, the lady at the front desk had our reservation wrong, which was fine because there were plenty of open rooms. The rooms were locked from the outside using a padlock (first time i'd ever seen that). There were also 5 locks on the inside of the door, not the most comforting thing to see but probably necessary after seeing the surrounding neighborhoods.
There was a tiny restaurant/store at the end of the block, which was very convenient. I went and got fresh made chinese food and a couple drinks. I had my girlfriend stay in the room because it did not seem very safe around the hotel, but i ran into no problems.
The room was big with a full kitchen and the bedroom had a little living room area with a TV, but that's where the positive features ended. There were random animal shapes cut out of plywood placed in odd locations on the walls (later we found out they were to cover up holes in the walls). The kitchen smelled badly of cleaning supplies. There were tiny hairs all over the bed sheets. Gross. I went to the front desk to ask for clean sheets and the lady there basically called me a liar and said that there was no way the sheets were dirty because she just put fresh ones on. After a bit of persuading, I got new sheets from her and went back up to the room. Although these sheets were hair-free, there were several fairly large brownish stains on them. We ended up spreading beach towels and other various other clothes from out suitcases on the bed so we didn't have to touch the sheets. We did not stay the second night and instead left early the next morning and paid more than double the Bachelor Inn rate at a big name hotel. It was worth it, not only for the cleanliness or the room, but for the peace of mind that you're actually safe in your hotel room.
Really, the only cool part of this hotel was the rooftop. There were chairs and you can go up there and hang out and relax. My girlfriend and i were up there for a short while looking over the surrounding neighborhoods but decided to go in because there were a lot of people wandering the streets yelling and many stray dogs running around and there were no doors or anything to keep them from coming up, if they wanted to.
I've traveled in Europe and stayed in countless hostels, so I'm not expecting a 5 star room for this price. But I do expect to have clean sheets and to feel safe while I sleep. Overall, probably the worst hotel experience of my life.

Room Tip: A room at a different hotel would be ideal
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

The pictures we saw and the comments do not reflect what it really is. The hotel is pretty old, out of shape, the towels, bed clothes and bathroom were dirty. The area looks not safe for us, and we did not get any BREAKFAST like the reviews said. I don't know where did they stayed but for us it was a very bad experience. We had booked for 7 nights and we only stayed for one, even when HOTWIRE did not want to refund anything!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

If your looking for a budget friendly hotel then this is the place for you but there isn't anything to do in the area since its in a residential neighborhood and its really not safe to walk around Belize City at night.

That being said; the room was spacious and had A/C plus free wifi and a small kitchen so all in all a very good value for the money. Nancy is great and there is a nice little area on the rooftop to relax in.

Room Tip: wifi access is on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012 via mobile

A very friendly and safe hotel near everything. Great staff great service.
Even had a full breakfast Included.
I highly recommended this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

I Stayed for 2 nights 3rd floor room 302 Beautiful & nice Ocean View. Nancy introduced me to the guest next door Rickey Pierce, he was so nice and helpful, he knows everyone in Belize who is someone. Nancy was so kind she & Rickey are good friends they invited me to drink Rum and Dance it has Crazy Fun, how many times can you meet nice people like that in life ? After doing some checking i found out that Rickey owns the only Submarine in Belize & over a mile of Beach Frontage " I never knew who I was talking to "

Room Tip: Room 302 Nice View and Big Room
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Bachelor Inn? Share your experiences!