“The real Carribean” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bellevue Hotel

Bellevue Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Belize City
Bellevue Hotel
5 Southern Foreshore, Belize City, Belize   |
Ranked #11 of 11 hotels in Belize City
Bedford, United Kingdom
“The real Carribean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

The Bellvue hotel

The previous reviews all have it about right in their own way. I have spent the best part of 6 months of my life staying at the Bellevue during the 80/90s when I saw everything that has been said numerous times and I still fell in love with the place. I cannot imagine it has changed much since then. Yes the place has seen better days and the staff seem to go out of their way to be unhelpful to the passing tourist trade (Mostly rude Americans, who get short shrift) but remember they have seen it all before over many years. The GIMME THIS and I WANT THAT attitude DOES NOT WORK HERE. If you want Starbucks and diet mayo go to Miami. You are not in the states but in a foreign country, respect that.
You want it yesterday means a 30 minute wait for a club sandwich, so just sit in the bar and enjoy one of the best pina-coladas I have ever tasted (Belikin beer is an acquired taste) and CHILL while looking out over that blue Caribbean sea and take in the atmosphere of the place and not just the sometimes shabby appearance. Compared to most of the town this is good!
The restaurant is probably best avoided apart from breakfast. There are plenty of places around (mostly Chinese) that will provide a good meal at reasonable prices.
Most folks who are just passing through for a couple of days never get to know the character of the place or the warm and friendly staff (some of whom I will treasure as friends till the day I die) who will go out of there way to be as helpful as they can, bearing in mind their somewhat limited resources and the fact that you are in a third world country.
If you want better surroundings with staff that kiss you’re a**e to get tipped and a sanitised Belize, use one of the big hotels. If however you are a little adventurous and are prepared for a few minor (or major) inconveniences to get to know the real Caribbean then this is the place for you. Have a PC for me!
P.S the idiom ‘Trust NO one’ is best remembered on the streets.

7 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Solo
Business
Southampton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2008

We stayed in Bellevue back in December 2003, for a couple of weeks. We were on a budget so worked out very well, I think we payed about £26 a night.
The hotel is situated on the south side of the swing bridge, overlooking the sea, and although it is easy access to the shops, if you haven't been to Belize before I would suggest you stay on the other side of the water. (On a budget check out Bayview Guesthouse)
The room was very big, in what would have been a lovely building many years ago. But this hotel has needs alot of work and I think for most people this would not be an ideal place to stay.
It has a private pool out back, which is normally empty as the hotel is normally empty! I would end up cleaning the pool of leaves etc, as no one else seemed to do it.
Nice little outside bar next to the pool. Also has a nightclub in the basement. Actually didn't realise until one of my Uncle's took us there, on New Years Eve. Was not bad!

Stayed December 2004
The High Plains of Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2008

I have stayed in some rough places and honestly dont know where to start. Here is my Belleview Top 10.

10. The ONLY lock on our door was the chain.

9. No hot water..ever. Cold water occasionally.

8. Bed in Room #117 slopes to one side at about 30 degrees. We tried sleeping at an angle to stay off the floor.

7. Funky nursing home smell.

6. $87 a night, really??

5. Not clean. Welcome to Belize City. Not a town for tourists.

4. Truly a "Roach" motel. They were friendly roaches though.

3. "Sea view" room included a poster of the sea. I have pictures.

2. Karaoke until all hours of the night. I still can't get 'I got you babe' out of my head.

1. Armed carjacking in front of the hotel

All in all, Belize City is a GREAT place to go for mission work, but thats about it.

• Liked — Leaving!
  • Disliked — Check out my Top 10 List!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
birmingham, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2008

Where to start!
There are limited good things that can be said about this hotel. It was conveniently located from the boat terminal to the cayes.

Now the numerous complaints.

We must have had heat stroke on the way back from the Cayes to have agreed to stay here. We even did the sensible thing and wanted to see the room before agreeing to stay. But one of the owners talked so much we found ourselves staying just to get him to stop talking.

The reception area is perhaps the nicest part of the hotel. The walk to our room was through swampy sludgy carpet that squelched. We travelled through dark corridors - which we found did not have any lights. (Possibly so you don't see quite how bad the place really was).

Our room door did not lock properly. There was at least a two inch gap after we "locked" the door. There was a cockroach infestation. This, supposedly one of the best rooms, had not been cleaned for a while.

We were told that all rooms had a TV with over a 100 channels. Our room did not even have a TV. We had task 3 times to get one and when it arrived there were two channels. Both local ones. Actually one channel was a permanent Belizean home shopping channel. When we enquired at reception about the other channels the staff looked confused then laughed at us. Clearly we had been lied to and were not the first to go through this pantomime.

The hotel dining room consisted of two ramshakle tables in a closet of a room. And the one day we ordered room service we got pizza that tasted like it had died a month ago and had been mumified in salt.

A terrible place to stay - we are grateful to have survived a night in this hell hole of a hotel without contracting anything life endangering.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — It's impossible to isolate one thing - too many to say
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2006

My trip to Belize was fantastic... Except for my last night before heading back home. I stayed at the Bellevue hotel. I still don't know how I survived this horrible experience.
I got there, the guy at the front desk gave me a room that had no light in it, I realized it at 6pm when the sun went down and I couldn't see anything in my room. I called the front desk, they said they would send security, an hour later, I called again and the front desk employee came to my room, as he said, "security" was to busy, and made me move to another room. Everything about both rooms was disgusting, it stunk, the bed was falling appart, the windows were broken and held by tape and cardboard. There was also a loud karaoke going on in the hotel bar/night club until late a night.
But my worst disappointment about the hotel is that the restaurant was no longer there. I had pick this hotel just so I wouldn't have to get out at night time. So for dinner, the employee sent me to a restaurant around the corner which happened to be closed that night. When I got back to the hotel, the only solution that was presented to me was to order some chinese food which made me sick all night long. For your own good, I suggest you never go there.

• Stayed February 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2005

Best Hotels in Belize are outrageously priced, others not very good. We paid U$55 to stay in this ramshackle wooden building which had nevertheless withstood 100 years of hurricanes, an annex ? It has a ricketty verandah overlooking the bay. A cool breeze in the evening. Situated on the less salubrious south side of Swing Bridge. Rooms with a/c were adequate, best feature multi English channel TV. A live gekko came out of the cold tap in the bathroom. Our review does not agree with the other review, no saloon bar, no dining, hardly visible staff, was it the same hotel ? Address is correct though.

• Stayed April 2005
Sylvan Lake, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2004

My wife and I stayed at the Bellvue. It was great being in the Center of town, right on the waterfront. The Lounge was a favorite of mine. There is nothing quite as satisfying for a northerner than to set and watch a cold drink condense on the bar. This was the first time I'd ever seen drinks wrapped in paper napkins in order to avoid a puddle.
I had my first Belikin in that lounge. I'm afraid I made a bit of a gaff on arrival. A friend had warned me about the almost universal manner of requesting a tip, the slight brush of the hand past the pocket. The first time I saw it was when the cook (as it turned out) helped to carry our luggage to the room. We were both somewhat overwhelmed by the experience of Belize(which begins as you board your aircraft for the final leg into the country) and I didn't quite recognize the signal when it was presented to me. I'm afraid I'll always be seen as a piker by that fellow and by everyone else now that I've confessed publicly. Normally I tip regularly and generously.
The rooms were simple but comfortable, the entire staff was incredibly friendly and helpfull. The food in the restaurant was fine. We had a couple of very good meals there. Access to the city could not be better. You just step out the door and you are there. I hope we get to see the Bellvue hotel again, someday.

Been to Bellevue Hotel? Share your experiences!