“Decent hotel, watch out for its staff” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mopan

Hotel Mopan
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Belize City
Hotel Mopan
You added Hotel Mopan to your Saves list
55 Regent Street, Belize City, Belize   |
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Belize City
Chicago, Illinois
“Decent hotel, watch out for its staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

The hotel is pretty good for the city.

COMPARISON - BELIZE CITY GENERAL
Even the other big more expensive hotels around, like the Radisson Fort George or the Princess might be nicer inside (and much more expensive), but their location is pretty removed from the center (maybe for a reason). My husband thinks that nobody should stay in Belize city if they don't have a reason, but I disagree. Although they are all on the water, the river meets the sea near the city so, no sandy beaches and clear Caribbean water near Belize city.

HOTEL DESCRIPTION
The Mopan is a renovated colonial house and clean (they change towels and sheets every day) and is in a nicer area of downtown (near
two of a handful of places to go sightseeing, the cathedral and the Government house). Otherwise I would take a taxi ($2.50) to everywhere in town.

MONEY-GRABBING
Our dissapointment came from the staff, with some being terribly unfriendly and their eagerness to get more money for you. I had read raving reviews for the hospitality and we didn't see it. Especially the founder's daughter who maybe has forgotten the values of hospitality. Examples:
- no help in organizing a tour although they advertise it (they are way too expensive anyway! Go elsewhere),
- a dollar or two for any local phonecalls (buy a phonecard instead. Please compare with taxi fare for perspective),
- $50 for a stay + $10 for second person (!) +10 for AC + Tax + Service charge (A Belize thing) you are looking for at least $75 or $80 total before you leave.
-Then double check your receipt for "extra bar charges" even if you didn't use it!
- And don't accept a ride from them they overcharge you anyway, use a regular taxi. There are no friendly discounts because you live there, quite the opposite I would say...

By the way the Hunter guide book was very helpful for Belize.

Stayed July 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2007

Our family truly enjoyed our stay at Hotel Mopan. We had previously stayed at the Princess Casino and were alittle leary at first because the cost was so much less. In this case you do get more than you pay for. We were shown true Belizean hospitality and we look forward to our next stay.

The Escarpeta Family

Stayed January 2007
Juneau, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2007

Just to follow up on some of the other reviews, the hotel is at or slightly above "par" for hotels in third world countries. The rooms are not anything you'd expect in the USA, but they are very good when compared to properties in Central America / Mexico.

Staff is very friendly and willing to help you out, the computers are good to use, although I used the WiFi (cost me $5) and spent a few evenings surfing the web while on the front porch...

Never ate the food or drank, there is a store a few blocks down (go in thru the Pharmacy, as street peddlers will *annoy* you behond belief if u go in the front way, they have a way of picking out the tourist).

Few hints:

Get a room on the 3rd floor or the patio rooms. Garden rooms don't face a garden -- you'll be looking at a walkway or wall. Take a pillow with you, and a small fan if you don't like heat or humidity.

I drove a car and i felt safe out front, but car rental agencies nail you with a $750 deposit

I plan on staying here again... although the perks of the Radisson are nice, if I wanted those ammenities I'd go to Cancun.

• Liked — Location wasn't bad.. gave u a true feeling of Belize
  • Disliked — the ceiling fan wasn't very... efficient (very slow)
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Austin, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2006

My husband and I stayed there for one night. The room was comfortable, the front staff was courteous, the hotel rate was good, but the area was a bit intimidating at night. Take a taxi or walk with at least one other person after dark...

Stayed November 2006
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2006

I was fortunate enough to travel to Belize in 2002 on a trip with some students from my college. A few of us arrived a day early so that we could get a feel for the area. We met some wonderful people that worked at the Belize internation airport, JB the owner of the restaurant/bar as well as two others that worked for Continental Airlines. Having arrived early we didnt have any reservations at a local hotel so our new friends call Hotel Mopan and reserved us a room. They told us it was the best place to stay in the city and they couldn't have been more correct. The rooms were clean and the location was very quaint. I awoke to the sound of a parakeet greeting the morning. They have a restaurant on site that is reasonably priced and serves wonderful food. The hotel is tucked away in quiet lovely little neighborhood, it is but a short distance from a gorgeous view of the water, although I wouldnt suggest trying to swim. There is a beautiful cathedral, as was mentioned in one of the other reviews, that exudes a historical feel. Also the hotel is but a few blocks from the local market area. I should also mention that they have a beautiful screened in porch with wonderfully confortable chairs. It is easy to sit there and while away the afternoon with a Belikan Beer, the local brew that is absolutely wonderful. I highly recomend staying at this hotel while in the city. They are welcoming and delightful. If you want to stay somewhere that provides a comfortable environment without being overrun by tourists this is the place to do it.

• Stayed December 2002
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2005

I've read several reviews on Belize from past travelers before embarking on a 5 day trip to Belize myself. Unlike most of the reviews I read. I found belize to be a friendly place. Its not like the United states but If I wanted it to be I would have not traveled to belize!. The people were friendly! I stayed at the Hotel Mopan which is located in Belize City. My stay was very enjoyable and the pricing was great. Most tourist go for the Ft. George or Princess hotel . I on the other hand wanted to stay in a non tourist area and get to know the city and its people. The room was clean, the staff was helpful and friendly, the breakfast was great , and it was located near the sea wall so that when you sat out on the patio you could see the water and watch the locals bike by. The decor in the room was simple in that there was a bed, tv, bathroom, ceiling fan or ac. There is internet services at the hotel for 1.50 US dollars (for 30 minutes). The climate in Belize is hot so I would recommend you dress accordingly. I will never forget my trip to Belize and look forward to returning in the near future. I hope that your stay is as enjoyable as mine. Keep an open mind when traveling to Belize City.... embrace its culture and its people.

• Stayed January 2005
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2005

We spent one night at Hotel Mopan - it wasn't luxurious by any means, but it was okay. My only big complaint is that they didn't have a restaurant like their website advertises, they only serve breakfast in their breakfast room (check out the wild circular portrait on the wall in here). They do have a bar, too, which was nice at the end of a long day travelling. The guy at the front desk wasn't exactly Mr. Happy. We chose Hotel Mopan because it's in a more local neighborhood, rather than the more touristy Fort George area where the cruise ship passengers come in, but it's considered as safe as the Fort George area. It's just one street over from Albert Street, which is the lively main commercial street of the city (it was quiet at the hotel at night, though), and only maybe half a mile from the water taxi terminal to the cayes. It was nice sitting out on the big front porch at night, enjoying the breeze, watching the occasional wave splash over the seawall a block away, and watching locals bicycle by every once in awhile. It's a little run down, but I think you have to expect that in Belize City. The price was certainly right at $50 a night.

• Stayed February 2005