“Don't expect much” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mopan

Hotel Mopan
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Belize City
Hotel Mopan
You added Hotel Mopan to your Saves list
55 Regent Street, Belize City, Belize   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Belize City
NSW
“Don't expect much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

My wife and I stayed for two nights. The hotel is an attractive colonial style building about 15 minutes walk from the town centre. We booked a standard room because we didn't want airconditioning. The room was quite spacious with simple furnishings, but it did have cable TV. Mattress on the double bed was okay, although the bedsheets were frayed and there was a small whole in plain view on the top sheet. They were obviously well used sheets. Similarly the bath towels were frayed. The bathroom itself was nothing modern but everything worked, including the hot water. The finishing standard of the room was poor - mold and what looked like dirt scuffs on the ceiling; dirt marks on the walls; and a piece of painted plaster about 1 foot square missing from the wall near the entry revealing the unpainted surface underneath.

Our room was located on the ground floor, which is where, I think, the standard rooms are. As you go higher the room prices increase by US$5 per level - patio rooms on the first level and balcony rooms on the top level. The rooms that I saw on other levels appeared to have a similar layout to ours but possibly better presented and, of course, higher up - there aren't any worthwhile views but there is probably a reasonable breeze.

Service was very ordinary. They certainly didn't try to make you feel as though you were doing them any favours staying in the hotel. One young man who was at reception at some stage totally missed out on getting social skills and should not be placed anywhere near reception.

The hotel only serves breakfast, so dinner becomes a bit problematic given the walking distance from the town. I went out one night at 7:00pm to have a look. Most shops are closed by 6:00pm, including some restaurants (obviously only open for lunch) and the streets seemed to be deserted except for small groups of young men gathered at some corners. I felt very uncomfortable, and decided to get some food from the supermarket and eat in our room rather than try to find a restaurant.

I wouldn't recommend Belize City at all, and the Hotel Mopan only if you can't find a better alternative.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

Stayed here our first night in Belize as we arrived too late to head out to our other destinations. The hotel is located on the south side of the city, out of the main tourist drag. On the upside, it's right next-door to the Cathedral and the House of Culture. On the downside, didn't feel like the safest area of town.

Our room itself was set back from the street behind a courtyard, so it did feel relatively safer. Clean enough, but I did have a mystery stain on my pillowcase (mystery stains are never good...). Also, there was a dog in the courtyard which decided to bark for a couple good parts of the night.

Service was varied--the front desk attendant seemed rather unworried when I reported that the last lit bulb in our lighting fixture had gone out and asked for a replacement, but the attendant in the morning was helpful in directing us around town and calling a cab to take us to the bus station.

Biggest lesson learned: do not arrive in Belize City on Sunday night hungry. There is one Chinese restaurant open and the number in the phonebook the hotel had actually dialed a bank. The onsite restaurant only serves breakfast (solid). Lucky for us (and just about the time I was contemplating how many Belikins it would take to suffice for dinner) the particular Sunday we arrived was Super Bowl Sunday and the owner (invited? tolerated?) us and two other tourist couples to his superbowl party.

Overall, no huge negatives in our experience here, but nothing fantastic, either.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

We booked Hotel Mopan online for four nights, but a change in our travel plans shortened our stay to just one night. The hotel itself was okay, with polite staff and simple rooms in a relatively quiet area of Belize City. Unfortunately, we shared the building with some raucous people. We heard screaming children running up and down the hallways and were awoken by someone playing the guitar at 5:00 in the morning!! The front desk staff, of course, dismissed our complaint stating they have no control over the behavior of their guests.

Hotel Mopan offers free wi-fi, air conditioning, television (though our remote control was broken and no replacement was available), and is walking distance to many shops, banks, and the Caye Caulker Water Taxi Association terminal. If you're a heavy sleeper, don't rule this place out.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
St Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

Hotel Mopan is very conveniently located near the port for getting to/from Caye Culker and San Pedro. The rooms are decently sized, and the entire hotel is quite clean and well kept up.

While Hotel Mopan is a little on the pricey side, you really get what you pay for. I left my cell phone in the room, flew back to the USA, and when I got here there was an e-mail waiting for me asking what my address was. With no hassle of demands, they mailed my phone to me as soon as they could. Honestly, I wasn't even expecting to get the phone back at all, much less with so little frustration. I would stay at Hotel Mopan again simply because I know that they're honest, kind, and incredibly helpful.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
ARIZONA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

Great price, Nice People, safe and clean rooms. Always stay at the Mopan when in Belize City. Only complaint, bring back the restaurant and coffee in the lobby.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

The staff at the Hotel Mopan were truly a godsend when I stayed there a few months ago. I showed up late and they found space for me. Friendly, courteous staff who know you by name and try to cater to my needs made a big difference. I think it's a reflection of the hotel's old Belize City charm. I'd pick the comfortable, affordable rooms at the Mopan and the relaxing deck (for reading, sunbathing, or whatever) over a big hotel any day!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Waterford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

We have stayed at the Hotel Mopan for the past 8 years after several years of trying out other places. Now it is the first hotel we visit in Belize when we arrive for our two month vacation and the last one we visit before flying home. In total, this means we spend a week or more there every year. Why? Because it is a little oasis in in the centre of the city, 15 min. walk to the water taxi, 15 min walk to the bus station, minutes away from some good restaurants. It's picturesque, clean ,friendly and secure. Great staff. Great owners. We look forward to our annual return to the Hotel Mopan. It's like visiting a good friend.

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Mopan? Share your experiences!