“A Very Shabby Place!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 22 Belize City B&B and Inns
Newport Beach
“A Very Shabby Place!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Shame on Hotwire for rating this hotel as 3 Star. It was worse than a 1 Star. There was no airport transportation as stated on your website. We had to hire a cab to the airport. There were stains on the bed sheets. There was no hot water in the vanity sink. When you turned the hot water knob, absolutely no water came out. The shower was the complete opposite. There was hot water, but hardly any cold. The wood on the bathroom door was splitting in half. The bed was terrible. It was so worn out that we both sunk into the middle and slept practically on top of each other. There were no washcloths only 1 hand towel , 2 small bath towels, a tiny bar of soap and no shampoo or lotion. Breakfast was advertised on their website. There was even a menu for breakfast in our room. However, breakfast was not available to us. We had to go to a restaurant down the street for breakfast. We stayed at this hotel for two nights. After a day of sightseeing, we expected to return to a nice cool, clean room. What we came back to at 5:00 pm was a terribly hot room that was not made up. They took the liberty of turning the A/C off. Our bed was still unmade and the towels were not replinshed. I went to the front desk and asked why. The girl at the front desk said she did not have time to do it. She had front desk duty as well as maid duty. But, there were hardly any guests at this hotel. This hotel was also in a sketchy part of town. It was not a good experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 101, it was bad.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Woking, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed here for one night whilst travelling from Mexico down to Hopkins in the south of Belize.

Belize City is not the most welcoming place to arrive in as it is incredibly run-down. When we got off the bus we did wonder what we were going to find when we arrived at our hotel. However, we were pleasantly surprised. The lady on reception was really warm and friendly when we were checking in. Our room was basic but very nice and clean and the bed was comfortable. We had air-con in the room and free wifi. There was no restaurant as such, but you could order breakfast and they had a drinks fridge in reception.

There are a few restaurants in the area which the lady on reception recommended. One of which was an american diner within 5 minutes walk which did fantastic food. We had read that Belize City is not the sort of place you wonder around at night and this is definately true. At the entrance to the car park of the diner there was a security guard on duty and the diner was surrounded by 3 metre high wire fences! We opted for an early dinner.

Something to bear in mind when travelling in Belize over the Easter period is that they don't run any buses and most shops and restaurants close for 4 days (Fri-Mon) unless you are staying in a very touristy place. We arrived in Belize City on the Thursday before Easter and had no idea about this until we asked about where we could get a bus from!

We were planning on catching a local bus from Belize City down to Hopkins the next morning. However, as there were no buses we decided that we would try an internal flight to Dangriga. The lady on reception was such a star! She telephoned the local airport to find out if flights were still running and then reserved us seats on the first plane on Friday morning. She also phoned round loads of taxi companies trying to find someone that would take us to the airport that morning. Not an easy job when most were not even answering their phones!

Overall, I liked the hotel and I would stay there again if I was ever passing through Belize City. They do a fantastic job running such a nice hotel in such difficult circumstances.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

It was my first trip to Belize and i decided to stay in Belize City to help get over jetlag quicker and visit the Zoo. I was met by Mikeal who had arranged for a taxi to collect me from the Airport for $25US. He runs the hotel with his wife and delightful children, Although its a very basic hotel I had an airconditioned room which was a godsend having come from the coldest British spring to the excessive heat of Belize! i also had fairly fast wifi which I needed as I have to keep up with work (self employed!)
I only stayed 2 nights, very happy I chose the Bakadeer. If I stay in the city again, I would return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Anchorage, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stayed 2 nights in the Bakadeer Inn in Belize City, Belize. At first they seemed friendly but, when I told them I needed to go to the airport to pick up a friend, the lady said her husband was going to pick up another guest 1 hour after my friend's airplane arrived and we could ride back to the Inn with him. No mention of money and he was being paid by the other guest anyway. We did wait the hour and rode back with him. After we arrived, he told me it was $25BZ each for the transfer. I argued but to no affect. We had to pay the $50. A cab would have been the same price and we could have saved an hour. Being paid double for only one ride is the way they cheat unaware tourists apparently. Then after drinking 2 cups of morning coffee, they insisted we pay another $5.50 for that.
The Inn rooms are quite basic, the TV is static, and the A/C took all day to bring the temperature down a few degrees. I suggest giving this Inn a miss.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I rarely take advice especially after I read so many nice reviews for the Bakadeer Inn on Trip Advisor. And I basically agree. It is a nice (not fancy) establishment in the heart of Belize City. The family that runs the hotel is very friendly. The Wi-Fi was excellent (important to me since I travel with the laptop to stay in touch with the office). And if you want breakfast - they will fix something up for you and you are set to go. Or if you have the time, walk down the street to Nerie's Restaurant, have a nice breakfast and talk with the owner about owning a restaurant in Belize.
Being primarily Vegetarian, I was surprised that Belizeans eat so much meat. But the nice folks at the Bakadeer directed me to the Chon Saan Palace which is a Chinese Restaurant with good food. There is also an Indian Restaurant down the street before you reach the Chon Saan which several people said was very good. I did not have a chance to check it out.

I stayed at the Bakadeer for four nights arriving on a Sunday. I was picked up at the Airport by Mikael for $25 which I would recommend since it is quick direct and you can learn a lot on the short ride to the hotel.

I tend to walk when I travel. I was interested in checking out Caulker Caye, returning to San Pedro and the traveling to the zoo.

One nice advantage to the Bakadeer was the ease of reaching the Water Taxis and the local bus terminal.

Two companies operate these taxis and have scheduled runs. My favorite is the San Pedro Belize Express - they offer more departures and have a nicer place to wait for the boat, and Anna's Lunch Box is a few doors down serving Breakfast or Lunch. The other company is called the Caye Caulker Water Taxi. It is a buck cheaper and will get you to where you are going. Both are located on North Front Street and maybe a half mile away from the hotel.

The first day I wanted to travel to Caulker Caye to check it out. It appears to me to be a sleepy, relaxful beach. Everyone congregates at the SPLIT at one end of the island during the day. A nice friendly bar is down there and everyone appears relaxed. This totally met my immediate needs of warming up and relaxing.

The next day, I decided to visit the Zoo. I took the local bus for Benque, told the driver my destination, and he assured me that he would let me know when I had arrived. About 2 hours later (there were lots of stops) I arrived at the zoo. A fun experience since I enjoy people watching and it only cost $1.50 Belizean and besides it was only one hour going back since there were fewer stops.

My zoo rating is lower than most reviews on trip advisors - I would give it a 3 on a scale of 5. And I would recommend calling in advance to arrange for a guide to go around the zoo with you and possibly sign up for some of the hands on experiences. These need to be arranged in advance and I possibly would have rated the zoo higher if I had known about this in advance. Fortunately, I was able to tag along with a cruise group that had just arrived and was able to see a lot more than if I was on my own. The animals are in a natural habitat and unless you know what to look for and where to look - you will miss a lot. And of course some days the animals are just SHY!
I did have a delightful discussion with Sheena (spelling may be off) who had been living in Belize for a few years. She is a Brit and her husband retired and they decided to make Belize their home. Well worth the time to chat and learn more about the country.

The next day I decided to return to San Pedro (Ambergris Caye) (I really like it down there). It was about an hour and a half by water taxi. I had spent about ten days in San Pedro several years ago and was interested in walking around to see the changes. Ended up at the Crazy Canuck which is ocean front by the Exotic Caye Hotel or Rooms. Good food at the bar - arrived at about 1 in the afternoon - bar was packed and Belikan was flowing (local beer - I like the Stout). A band started up around 1:30 - lots of people to chat with and just a good time. Jerry Jeff Walker was doing his two week concert stint in San Pedro and the local bands were all joining in. Left around 4 and walked back to town to catch the water taxi to Belize City.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Kimberley, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here last night as we began our stay in Belize. Mikael picked us up at the airport with a smile and a warm welcome. Once we arrived at the Inn his wife and children greeted us. Very cute! We also enjoyed the cold beverage with an umbrella in it. :) Our room was bright and perfect. The beds comfortable and the AC was welcomed. Thank you for breakfast. We really enjoyed our stay here.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I needed a place for the night as I was on my way to Guatemala. I didn't want to spend much money and this place was perfect! Great staff, very helpful and friendly. My room was clean and neat, perfect for the night or even two. I would definitely stay here again while passing through!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Bakadeer Inn? Share your experiences!