“Avoid the Bakadeer Inn, Belize City” 1 of 5 stars

Bakadeer Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   74 Cleghorn Street, Belize City, Belize   |
Ranked #10 of 20 Belize City B&B and Inns
Anchorage, Alaska
“Avoid the Bakadeer Inn, Belize City”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stayed 2 nights in the Bakadeer Inn in Belize City, Belize. At first they seemed friendly but, when I told them I needed to go to the airport to pick up a friend, the lady said her husband was going to pick up another guest 1 hour after my friend's airplane arrived and we could ride back to the Inn with him. No mention of money and he was being paid by the other guest anyway. We did wait the hour and rode back with him. After we arrived, he told me it was $25BZ each for the transfer. I argued but to no affect. We had to pay the $50. A cab would have been the same price and we could have saved an hour. Being paid double for only one ride is the way they cheat unaware tourists apparently. Then after drinking 2 cups of morning coffee, they insisted we pay another $5.50 for that.
The Inn rooms are quite basic, the TV is static, and the A/C took all day to bring the temperature down a few degrees. I suggest giving this Inn a miss.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I rarely take advice especially after I read so many nice reviews for the Bakadeer Inn on Trip Advisor. And I basically agree. It is a nice (not fancy) establishment in the heart of Belize City. The family that runs the hotel is very friendly. The Wi-Fi was excellent (important to me since I travel with the laptop to stay in touch with the office). And if you want breakfast - they will fix something up for you and you are set to go. Or if you have the time, walk down the street to Nerie's Restaurant, have a nice breakfast and talk with the owner about owning a restaurant in Belize.
Being primarily Vegetarian, I was surprised that Belizeans eat so much meat. But the nice folks at the Bakadeer directed me to the Chon Saan Palace which is a Chinese Restaurant with good food. There is also an Indian Restaurant down the street before you reach the Chon Saan which several people said was very good. I did not have a chance to check it out.

I stayed at the Bakadeer for four nights arriving on a Sunday. I was picked up at the Airport by Mikael for $25 which I would recommend since it is quick direct and you can learn a lot on the short ride to the hotel.

I tend to walk when I travel. I was interested in checking out Caulker Caye, returning to San Pedro and the traveling to the zoo.

One nice advantage to the Bakadeer was the ease of reaching the Water Taxis and the local bus terminal.

Two companies operate these taxis and have scheduled runs. My favorite is the San Pedro Belize Express - they offer more departures and have a nicer place to wait for the boat, and Anna's Lunch Box is a few doors down serving Breakfast or Lunch. The other company is called the Caye Caulker Water Taxi. It is a buck cheaper and will get you to where you are going. Both are located on North Front Street and maybe a half mile away from the hotel.

The first day I wanted to travel to Caulker Caye to check it out. It appears to me to be a sleepy, relaxful beach. Everyone congregates at the SPLIT at one end of the island during the day. A nice friendly bar is down there and everyone appears relaxed. This totally met my immediate needs of warming up and relaxing.

The next day, I decided to visit the Zoo. I took the local bus for Benque, told the driver my destination, and he assured me that he would let me know when I had arrived. About 2 hours later (there were lots of stops) I arrived at the zoo. A fun experience since I enjoy people watching and it only cost $1.50 Belizean and besides it was only one hour going back since there were fewer stops.

My zoo rating is lower than most reviews on trip advisors - I would give it a 3 on a scale of 5. And I would recommend calling in advance to arrange for a guide to go around the zoo with you and possibly sign up for some of the hands on experiences. These need to be arranged in advance and I possibly would have rated the zoo higher if I had known about this in advance. Fortunately, I was able to tag along with a cruise group that had just arrived and was able to see a lot more than if I was on my own. The animals are in a natural habitat and unless you know what to look for and where to look - you will miss a lot. And of course some days the animals are just SHY!
I did have a delightful discussion with Sheena (spelling may be off) who had been living in Belize for a few years. She is a Brit and her husband retired and they decided to make Belize their home. Well worth the time to chat and learn more about the country.

The next day I decided to return to San Pedro (Ambergris Caye) (I really like it down there). It was about an hour and a half by water taxi. I had spent about ten days in San Pedro several years ago and was interested in walking around to see the changes. Ended up at the Crazy Canuck which is ocean front by the Exotic Caye Hotel or Rooms. Good food at the bar - arrived at about 1 in the afternoon - bar was packed and Belikan was flowing (local beer - I like the Stout). A band started up around 1:30 - lots of people to chat with and just a good time. Jerry Jeff Walker was doing his two week concert stint in San Pedro and the local bands were all joining in. Left around 4 and walked back to town to catch the water taxi to Belize City.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Kimberley, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here last night as we began our stay in Belize. Mikael picked us up at the airport with a smile and a warm welcome. Once we arrived at the Inn his wife and children greeted us. Very cute! We also enjoyed the cold beverage with an umbrella in it. :) Our room was bright and perfect. The beds comfortable and the AC was welcomed. Thank you for breakfast. We really enjoyed our stay here.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I needed a place for the night as I was on my way to Guatemala. I didn't want to spend much money and this place was perfect! Great staff, very helpful and friendly. My room was clean and neat, perfect for the night or even two. I would definitely stay here again while passing through!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Merida, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Spending some days at the Bakadeer Inn was a wonderful experience! Very clean rooms, family environment, great reception, it was like being at home. Definitely, I'm coming back! Maybe for my honeymoon?? ;-)
Thank you for everything you did for me!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I arrived from San Ignacio on a late morning bus. The taxi driver knew right where to go. I was tired, hungry and hot. The hostess greeted me warmly and assessed my situation and offered a rum punch. I declined but I took her up on the breakfast she also offered. One day I asked for orange juice and she left the building returning with oranges for squeezing, such a treat!

She handed me a map, marked our location, suggested streets for safe walking, told me because it was Sunday, few stores or restaurants were open! She gave the safety lecture, she provided cards with address and phone numbers in case I needed help.
I was there for 2 nights and enjoyed our chats about Belize and many other topics.

Like everyone says, it is clean and comfortable, has great WiFi, television and honest, friendly and welcoming people. Location is a minor problem but what can you do about that?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Yes, the neighborhood is sketchy, yes there are dogs barking, yes, the neighbor next door is louder than loud.

No, it is not the type of hotel you want to chill in all day long, and I don't think it is its vocation anyway.

The hotel is 15 mn on foot from the bus station. From there, you can go pretty much anywhere in the city and the country. There is also a taxi station around the corner. The fares are very low in US dollars, and if you have any doubt as to how much it is going to cost you, simply ask the receptionist.
It is also 15 mn away by car from the international airport, and 10 mn from the water taxi terminal.

The rooms are not particularly pretty, but they are very clean. And so are the bathrooms. I don't remember if there is an AC unit, as I don't use the AC, but there is a fan, a TV, with a wide selection of channels, and the internet. And the connection is excellent.

You can order breakfast the night before, it is not included in the price and it will be served in the patio at the time you indicated. The breakfast is simple, but good and filling.

You can also have your laundry done, in my very case, it took no longer than an hour.

A big thumbs up to Mr. and Mrs. Sosa, the manager and the manager respectively, not only for the way they manage their establishment, but also for their always friendly and helpful attitude. Mrs. Sosa wrapped my breakfast in a heartbeat when I suddenly decided I was going on an excursion at 7 in the morning, she systematically provided me useful and honest information, and advice for my different trips out of town.
Mr. Sosa offered me a ride to the water taxi terminal because "it was on his way".

In a nutshell, they made me feel home, and I thank them very much for that.

Next time I'm going to Belize City, that's where I'm staying.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Bakadeer Inn? Share your experiences!