“Better than expected” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Belize Biltmore Plaza Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Belize Biltmore Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Belize Biltmore Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mile 3, Phillip Goldson Highway | PO Box 959, Belize City, Belize   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Belize City
NV
“Better than expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Located in Belize City on a main road from the airport. Even though room was on the outside ( vs on the inside court yard / pool) facing the street it was quiet, recently renovated although the A/C still needed work.
Restaurant service / food was okay although the selection limited. In general the staff helpful and friendly. Was okay for one night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
manager05, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Belize Biltmore Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Biltmore Plaza Hotel. We are happy to know that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful.

We do our best to provide a clean facility for all our guests to enjoy while they are with us and we continue to work on improving and upgrading our facilities.

We look forward in hosting you on your next stay and please write to guestservices@belizebiltmore.com and I'll arrange for a free upgrade for your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

On the very first morning of my stay, I went down to the dining room for breakfast, and after about 30 mins, I returned to my room to find the wardrobe doors open and my bags had been rifled through. Thankfully, I had taken all of my valuables with me to breakfast and nothing was taken. But that wasn't the worst of it.

When I reported the incident to the manager of the hotel, I was told that "this has never happened before" -- although if you read through other reviews here, you'll see that I am not the first guest at Biltmore Plaza to report an incident of theft or attempted theft. The staff insisted that no one had been in my room, and showed me a computer print out of the key card door entries. I don't know if the record was deleted or if there is another way to enter the room without it being recorded in their computer system, but someone had definitely been in my room, and the staff were in no way sympathetic to my report. They were focused on trying to convince me that no one could have entered my room, and that the hotel was a reputable place -- rather than expressing concern for my well-being or safety of my belongings. Needless to say, I never left anything of value in my room throughout the rest of the stay.

As for the hotel itself, the building was in well-maintained condition, the room was clean enough, and most of the staff were friendly. I find the other reviews here accurately describe the state of things: the AC worked fine (though I barely used it because the fan in my room was cool enough for me), the shower was unable to maintain one water temperature so I opted for baths instead, the coffee maker was broken but still able to make the Maxwell House coffee they provided, the cleaning staff skipped my room a couple of times and I had to replenish my daily toiletries and coffee at the front desk on my own, the taxi driver was a wonderfully kind man and always available when I was in need of a taxi, the food in the restaurant is subpar and well overpriced for what you're getting (but there aren't many other options in the area so you're stuck with eating at the hotel or paying for a taxi to go somewhere else to eat if you stay here. Also, vegetarians are not well catered to with the menu), the pool and outdoor bar are fine but nothing special, and the noise that the US military guests made on a nearly nightly basis was annoying but tolerable. It's clear that the overwhelming number of military guests is this hotel's bread and butter.

During my stay in Belize, I stopped by the Radisson when I was in downtown to have dinner, and immediately found myself wishing I'd stayed there instead. The accommodations are MUCH cleaner and nicer. The location is in central downtown, within walking distance to pretty much anything you'd need so you don't have to shell out as much for taxis, and it also has a view of the ocean since it's just a block away from the water's edge. I found the staff to be more friendly and accommodating. The food was MUCH better and there was a greater variety of options -- for veg and non-veg alike -- in both food and drink for the same price or even cheaper that what they offer at the Biltmore Plaza.

I'm not an especially picky person when it comes to hotels, but I would not stay at the Biltmore Plaza again unless there were no other options available. The responses they give to reviews here are simply empty promises.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
manager05, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Belize Biltmore Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest, Greeting from the Best Western Belize Biltmore Plaza Hotel. We write to you with regards to your complaint about your recent stay with us. Here at the Biltmore our guest satisfaction is our number one priority and all feedbacks, concerns and comments that we receive are taken very seriously. As we discussed prior to your departure from the hotel, our housekeeping manager had provided you with an audit report of our room locks and you can clearly see that no one had entered your room. We sincerely apologize for your dissatisfaction and we will certainly investigate this fully as we take the safety of our guests very seriously. If you need to address your concerns further please write to: guestservices@belizebiltmore.com
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Probably one of the nicest Best Westerns, definitely the cleanest. I rarely staty at a Best Western because they are usually dirty and not well kept, but this was an exception.
We overnighted to connect with a trip, and were pleasantly surprised. Don't think I would
spend a week here, just due to location, but it was very clean, and the staff very helpful
and friendly. Food was good as well.

Room Tip: room 212 (suite) was very spacious and nice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Biltmore Plaza Hotel. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to hosting you on your next visit to our beautiful country.
Chilliwack, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed here for one night at the end of our snorkeling trip to Lighthouse Reef (http://www.belizeadventures.travel/) check it out. The hotel was very nice. Clean and staff friendly beyond duty. I left my camera in the lobby and didn't realize this until the next morning. Went down and they had it for me. There are a lot of places in Canada and the US where that would have not been the case. The food was good. But it is slow coming so don't rush down and expect to have the meal on your table in 5 minutes. It has a nice little pool. It also has some not so nice "no-see-ems". We made the mistake of sitting out when things had cooled off and got right royally bitten on the lower legs. So sit out by all means, but put on some insect repellent.
We'll stay here next time we come down for sure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Biltmore Plaza Hotel. We are very happy hear that you found our staff to be friendly.
With regards to the mosquito’s by the pool side, we do apologize, however, mosquito’s is common in the tropics and since we are an Eco Friend Hotel we minimize the use of insecticide in order to reduce environmental risk. However, we do advise guest to used insect repellent.
We look forward to hosting you on your next stay.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed for several nights on business. Very friendly staff along with a knowledgeable group of guest service people. Did have a maintenance issue, but the front desk dispatched an employee quickly. The hotel also has a taxi person stationed at the hotel, so ask at the front desk. It is 7.50USD into Belize City or take the local bus, which stops outside the hotel. Felt safe during my visit. As mentioned previously by others, two complimentary bottles of water are provided. I have no issues drinking coffee from a paper cup. There is a bar by the pool, and they do serve the award winning Blue Hole drink, which I believe originated at this hotel. When my travels take me back to Belize City, I will stay there again.

Room Tip: Would pick second floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
manager05, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Belize Biltmore Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Biltmore Plaza Hotel. We are delighted that you found our staff to be friendly and we hope that they were able to make your stay enjoyable.

The hotel does offer recommended taxi service for the safety of our guest and the fee of $7.50 US is standard for 1-2 persons traveling into Belize City, however, the guest has the right to used any other option or taxi service they choose.

We look forward to hosting you on your next stay.
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed two nights at the Biltmore on either end of a weeklong trip to Belize.

The rooms were nice but plain, air conditioning in the rooms was great, the pool and the people working there were very nice. There was free wifi that worked OK but it depended on where you were. Better in common areas than in the rooms. Sometimes even one side of the room was better than the other.

Not so great: water pressure pretty terrible and I couldn't get the water in the shower to be any more than lukewarm. My husband said he didn't have the same problem but even after he explained it to me (hot and cold knobs were backwards?) I couldn't get it any warmer. For one night it was OK for longer, I think it would have driven me crazy.

We ate at the restaurant at the hotel for three meals and it was just OK. The first day it was incredibly, painfully hot inside the restaurant. It was crowded and service was slow even though it was a buffet. They never seemed to have everything: soup was empty but by the time it was refilled they had either no bowls or no spoons. Stuff like that. OK for one meal but would have been annoying for a longer stay.

Breakfast buffet was pretty good.

This is a good place for what we did -- just a quick place to sleep that's close to the airport. If I was going to stay in Belize City for more time, I'd do more homework and pick a better hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
manager05, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Belize Biltmore Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at the Best Western Belize Biltmore Plaza Hotel. We apologize for not meeting your expectations in the areas of the look of your room, as well as service and food.

Please know that we value you as a customer and strive to exceed your expectations at every opportunity. Your concerns regarding food service and quality have been forwarded to our food and beverage manager so as to pinpoint exactly what went wrong.

We hope that you would give us the opportunity to host you, should you be in Belize again. If that is at all possible, please contact me at guestservices@belizebiltmore.com and we will certainly ensure that your expectations are met and exceeded.

Once again, our humble apologies.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Please when needing information about the hotel, reservations, or local area, contact Sharmadine. She was wonderful. Treated us like family. Very friendly. Helped us with our transportation to and from the airport, booked tours, helped us find a great restaurant. Just over all professional and very friendly.
Hotel restaurant a bit pricey, but still good food. Hotel bar staff very funny and good atmosphere.
Hotel rooms are good quality for Belize City.
Sharmadine, thanks for making our stay wonderful!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
manager05, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Belize Biltmore Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thanks for your great review. On behalf of the Management & Staff of the Best Western Belize Biltmore Plaza Hotel we would like to express our sincere gratitude, it was a pleasure meeting you and your family!!

Been to BEST WESTERN Belize Biltmore Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!