“Excellent and Affordable Tour” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 68 Activities in Belize City
The Villages, Florida
8 attraction reviews
“Excellent and Affordable Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Both the previous reviews covered all the points I was going to make about Allen and Leah Dawson's Explore Belize Tours. We were the other two guests on RedWendi's tour.

Allen is a friendly, gracious, and extremely knowledgeable guide. Beyond that he personalizes your experience in a way that makes you feel you are spending the day with a friend.

Belize City is really not much to look at but Allen gives you a lot of local history and color.

I also want to emphasize what was said about the tenders (Carnival Liberty). It took us 1 1/2 hours to get ashore. The system is the worst I have experienced. Don't miss Allen's full tour by being late. Get in line VERY early.

Allen's tour is much better than the ship tour for 3/4 the price plus ice cold sodas and local beer. Do yourself a favor and book with him!

Visited June 2014

Durham, United Kingdom
“A fabulous day, with a great, friendly and knowledgeable guide.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Travelling with my mum, she'd been on an Experience Belize Tour a few years ago and recommended a repeat visit. There was a serious delay getting a tender from our cruise liner so we were very late to the meeting point. On ringing Alan, our guide, he said he had another couple of people from our ship that he was waiting for, and would hang on as long as he could. He ended up starting the city tour with the couple who managed to get an earlier tender, returning to the port to collect us when we reached shore so we could enjoy as much of the tour as possible before we had to return to the ship.

Alan's knowledge of Belize' infrastructure, history, flora and fauna is extensive and his presentation is enjoyable; interesting and amusing.

Ice cold water on collection from the port and ice cold beer while at Altun Ha were massively appreciated, and Experience Belize Tours are highly recommended.

Visited June 2014
Gulfport, Florida
“Simply the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

The morning my husband and I sailed on the Carnival Legend I booked a tour with Experience Belize Day Tours to see Altun Ha. I didn't have time to wait for the confirmation so I wasn't sure if the reservation was valid. After leaving the ship in Belize we walked to the lighthouse as we had been instructed to do on line. No tour guide! I thought it was going to be a disaster but a very helpful tour guide from another company called Allen at Experience Belize. Within a half hour, Allen arrived. Although it was just me and my husband, he took us on the guided tour of Altun Ha Maya ruins. He couldn't have been more delightful. He was humorous, courteous, helpful and answered hundreds of questions we asked of him. The tour lasted about three hours. Allen drove us back to the cruise dock in plenty of time for our departure. Forget about booking a tour through Carnival. This was the best experience of our entire vacation. I would gladly tell friends and family to book their Belize tour with Experience Belize Day Tours.

Visited May 2014
Shakopee, MN
8 attraction reviews
“So Much Better Than Booking Through the Ship!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We booked online directly with Experience Belize Day Tours. Unfortunately it took over an hour for our ship to get us onto a tender so we were about a half hour late arriving for our tour and were nervous that we were going to be left behind. To our relief, Allen was waiting for us by the lighthouse as promised. We did introductions and paid for our tour ($45 a person) and then we got into his SUV and were on our way. We were fortunate enough to be the only ones on this tour which is one of the reasons I enjoy booking independently from the ship. I guess for larger tour groups, they have a mini bus available.

Allen had a terrific knowledge about the city and gave us a history of the city while we drove through it. He stopped off at a convenience store and asked if we wanted anything from inside. My mother said that she wanted to go in to purchased some gum but he told her not to worry about it and purchased it himself for her.

The drive to Altun Ha was about 45 minutes long but it was a nice journey since Allen chatted with us the whole time. He even stopped off a couple of times for us to take pictures.

Once we arrived at Altun Ha Allen told us about the history of the ruins as well as the flora and fauna on the grounds. Allen had filled us in that tour operators in Belize have to take classes on all of these things. The ruins were incredibly preserved and really cool to see. We climbed the stairs on a couple of the ruins while Allen offered to take pictures of our family. There were also booths with local crafts and cashew wine on the way out to do some shopping.

On the drive back, Allen had a cooler of water, local beer and soda for us to enjoy. We then drove through the other side of the city before returning us to the port, with plenty of time left for shopping.

I would highly recommend booking this tour while in port. It was a great value at $45 a person and we got personalized attention we wouldn't have gotten through a ship tour.

Visited April 2014
Chapin, South Carolina
“Absolutely Great. Perfect for the whole family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Our family had a great time on the tour. Our tour Guide Allen was wonderful. He was exactly where he said he was and he was waiting for us with cold bottled water. Being a local, his knowledge of Belize and the facts he shared with us were great as we traveled towards Altun Ha - passing several interesting landmarks including historical buildings. It was a pretty bumpy ride, but our bus was great with plenty of room and plenty of air conditioning. This is a trip our family never forget. Thanks!!

Visited April 2014