“great place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 64 Restaurants in Belize City
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Description: Convenient location on the pier of the Belize cruise ship port. Downstairs offers great cocktails and light snacks, the upstairs is a full restaurant offering the best of Belizean cuisine. Conch, shrimp, fresh fish. Everything is made fresh daily. A great place to spend the day, to relax, or get up dance and party with us.
Denver, Colorado
“great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Was here in December. The nachos were piled high. The drinks were VERY good. The wait staff was very attentive without being intrusive. They had t-shirts there as well with cute 'adult' sayings and other souvenirs priced same as other places.

• Visited December 2012

“Had a blast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

On our Cruise stop, we decided to just walk around Belize port area, and do some shopping, eating and stop at a Bar for a few local beers!
This was a bar that offered food and drinks, along with free Wifi. So, we stopped at sat at the bar for a few drinks and a snack.
Loved the free Wifi, and the lady bartender was awesome. Wish I'd gotten her name, but she was the only female bartender working when we were there on 3/13/2013!
Met some other people at the bar, and had a blast!

• Visited March 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Nice place by the pier”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

If you are looking to kill a few hours while in town with a cruise, I'd recommend a visit for a drink. It gets very crowded when the ships are in port and the service can be slow. The Belikin beer is nice as well as their nachos. They add diced cucumbers to the nachos for an interesting touch.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Florida
“Great Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We chose the Wet Lizard because the Princess Cruise coupon book you buy had a choice of three coupons to use here. We chose to use the coupon for a free Rum Punch with a purchase of an appetizer or entree. We chose the Four Taco appetizer for 8 dollars. We decided against Chicken and chose 2 beef and 2 fish tacos. I cannot disagree with a previous reviewer more. The Tacos were authentic Mayan soft tacos, not that stuff from Taco Bell. The Tortillas were homemade and small, which again is authentic (yes, a bit soggy compared to Taco Bell). Unlike other places in the area, they used a double tortilla for each taco to add stability to the generous amount of filling. The Fillings themselves were slightly spicy and delicious. The Rum Punch was no more than expected, but hey...it was free! We loved Belize and cannot wait to go back here again and order those tasty tacos....and maybe some other items. This place is a great value compared with what you find in Mexico.

• Visited February 2013
gonetropic, Owner at Wet Lizard, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. I so appreciate to find out what our friends and customers are thinking and their experiences. Glad that you recognize that food is a little different when you travel, and yes we try to do good food based on local influence, and the Mayans are a huge influence in Belize. I will let the bar staff know about the mediocre rum punch and we will correct that.
Again, thanks so much and I look forward to seeing you at the Wet Lizard again.
Laura
Frederick, Colorado
“READ THIS BEFORE YOU GO!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

My wide and I had a good time here. The food was food. We each had tacos. I had several Belikin Beers that are delicious!! The service is not the best because it is so busy! The place could use a good cleaning! TIP: watch you check when you pay!! They pad the bill. Also bring Hand sanitizer with you as Belize is not that clean. We also recommend not drinking the water!! The cruise staff told us to stay away from drinking any tap water Bottles only!

gonetropic, Owner at Wet Lizard, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thanks for your review. I am sorry that you felt the food was just food, we make everything fresh daily and strive really hard at making it tasty. I do agree, our tacos have a lot of juice with them so sometimes they can tend to get a little soggy if the kitchen didn't drain the juice. As far as padding the bill, I will put my neck on the line that my staff does nothing like that. If you thought there was a problem i wish you would have spoken to me. Also, I don't know if it was explained to you but Belize has their own currency which is double US currency so if you see something that you purchased for 10.00 US then it will read 20.00 to reflect the local currency.
The water in Belize is safe, but I understand everyone's concerns so we do offer bottled water to all our guests.
Hope we will see you back again sometimes soon and make your experience better.
Laura