“Wonders of the Barrier Reef--Underwater Windows” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 62 activities in Belize City
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Serving the Cruising community since 2003, Belize Cruise Excursions provides exclusive beach breaks, action tours, zip line tours, cave tubing tours, Maya Ruins and private tours. All excursions are in small groups, offering privacy and comfort for all arriving Cruise Ship Passengers arriving into the port of Belize.Belize Cruise Excursions, an Island Marketing (Cayman) Group.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Camarillo, California
“Wonders of the Barrier Reef--Underwater Windows”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We recently took our first cruise to Belize. The underwater view of the Barrier Reef caught our eye as an interesting option. The opportunity to see the coral and fishes in such a beautiful place peaked our interest. We were not disappointed. First, we were taken by catamaran from our cruise ship about 15 miles to the reef. Then we were transferred to the vessel which had underwater windows and we cruised around the reef while the guide provided interesting info about both the coral and fish. Afterwards, we were taken by catamaran to an Atoll which had food, drinks (for a small charge), music, thatched huts and lanais. They also had kayaks, floating mats, and assorted equipment for both adults and children, free of charge. We were given about an hour to eat and lay out. We were in the middle of nowhere, it was awesome.
It was a well spent 4-1/2 hours. In addition, we have to compliment the entire crew. They were fun, helpful and more importantly kind. We had one individual with a walker. They were so considerate and made every effort to be sure she could transfer onto each vessel and got her up and down the stairs, even helped her on the beach at the Atoll. Joselyn was the main crew member, but all of the crew were great. We highly recommend this excursion if you get to Belize.

Calgary, Canada
6 attraction reviews
“Not a good choice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband & I just got back from a 7 day cruise with Princess and booked a Lamanai Mayan Ruins excursion with Belize Cruise Excursions. It was already going to be a long day of travelling by bus and boat to get to the sight but was made even longer (and more frustrating) thanks for the policy choice made by this company. Three couples were extremely late for this excursion (all three were from our cruise so I'm not sure what the hold up was as we were able to make it there on time). This resulted in a 2 1/2 hour delay in starting our excursion - 2 1/2 hours of 30 other people standing around and waiting for these 6 people. In my opinion, this was a total disrespect our time - which is precious little when you have one day to spend at a port. As a result, we rushed through the excursion and I was totally stressed all the way back as the last tender to our ship was at 4:30 pm. They dropped us off at the port at exactly 4:29 - seriously - no exaggeration. We had to run as fast as we could to catch our boat. Also, we had zero time to even look around at anything else. The time was "stolen" from us thanks to the poor decision made by this company. Won't be booking with them again.

New York
3 attraction reviews
“almost missed our ship”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We were late leaving for the Lamanai riverboat excursion because the guide kept us waiting for other people to show up. We were the only cruise ship there that day & we arrived at 9:30 am. We starting getting a little upset when it got to be 11:00 & we still hadn't left on the bus yet.(They take your money & tell you that there will only be about a 20 minute wait which actually turned into over an hour & a half. Don't think that they really cared after they got your money!) Finally boarded the bus at a little after 11:00 & the driver was on his phone constantly after we left...kept pulling over to talk on the phone & driving REAL slow...finally understood why when we pulled over to purchase water at a little store & a van pulled up with another family & got on the bus. Evidently they had decided to shop first & the rest us had to endure a bus ride that was supposed to be an hour but in fact lasted an hour & a half just so they could catch up with us. Spent the whole tour on pins & needles wondering if we would get back for the last tender which was supposed to leave at 5:30. We were about 15 minutes late & the captain of our cruise was none too happy with us. Luckily they didn't leave without us! I don''t recommend taking this cruise if you need to get back to a cruise ship as I believe they are more interested in making a few extra bucks than they are in being professional & running the excursion on time for the people that show up on time.

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
11 attraction reviews
“Almost virgin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Belize is an excellent place for adventure. Still keep a lot rain forrest, and mayan place like AltunHa. You can make nice shopping, and see many natural attractions. When you leave the Boat, take and excellent sail in small boat, the you really enjoy with the sea birds, and beautiful ocean. Is a place the is developing now, with narrow roads, but this is part of the adventure. I have not time to visit the second jaguar reserve , but I guess is will be a nice experience.
Finally I advised to hire local tour guide, the are very professional and give good price, certainly, the just offer transportation and guidance, but in the short time the you spend is not a big deal to worry a lot about the food. Any way you can try the native food, and excellence beer from Belize

Visited January 2013
Dallas, Texas
3 attraction reviews
“Lamanai Ruins with Belize Cruise Excursions, just need a little more time.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We recently booked a day tour with Belize Cruise Excursions while visiting Belize on the Carnival Magic. I was nervous about the time as we only were in port from 8am until 4pm that day. The short time combined with the tender process for cruise passengers can really make things tight. The trip begins with a 1 hour(ish) bus ride, and a 1 hour boat ride. In a port where you only have 7-8 hours and you spend at least 4 hours in transport to your destination, things can get a little close.

I will say that our experience was very good. The first thing our tour guide told us was that they guaranteed to return us to the port in time to get back on our boat. They told us to enjoy ourselves and let them worry about the time. They said they had never had a customer miss a ship and they didn't intend to let it happen today.

Once booked, I received detailed instructions on when and where to meet the guides and a recommendation that we arrange to take one of the first tenders off the boat for the sake of time. We were able to easily take the third or fourth tender without much effort at all and reached our guides by 8:40am. There were several other passengers already at the location waiting for us. if all of the booked customers would have arrived as instructed, we would have been able to depart the port much earlier than we did. As most of you know however, there is always at least one idiot that can't follow instructions and such was the case with our tour. Our guides waited until 9:30am before departing. As we were boarding the bus, our final two showed and boarded the bus with the rest of us.

Our guide's nick name was Easy and was very informative about the country of Belize. The bus was comfortable, although the roads in Belize are very poor. During the ride out to the site, we were given detailed information about Lamanai and what were going to be doing, including an entertaining description of our lunch. The bus ride actually took a little longer than expected, approxitmately 75 minutes.

Once off the bus, we boarded our boats and took off down the river. Our boat captain was a young man who had obviously piloted the river many times. The boats travel very fast and even tilt left and right as you go around turns, but I never felt unsafe or thought the captain was driving recklessly. I enjoyed the wind and water. Being able to speak Spanish, I heard our guide and captain discussing the fact that we had no time to stop on the river and to go directly to the Lamanai site. The boat ride was very comfortable and we arrived at the site in just under 1 hour on the river. Be careful with hats during the ride and I'd advise ladies to plan for a windy hour with your hair and clothing selection.

Once at the site, we had a wonderful homemade lunch of rice and beans, steamed chicken, cole slaw, potato salad, plantains, etc.... I was very impressed with the presentation and taste of the lunch.

After lunch we proceeded into the Lamanai site, which is wonderful. The temples and structures that have been uncovered are truly amazing and the size of the entire site is truly amazing. I will say that we had several older people in our group which slowed our guide down. The trails are clear, but are rocky and uneven and presented problems for some of these older people. Our guide understood that we didn't want to wait and didn't give us any problems for going ahead. We got to spend more time at each actual site on the tour, but did miss out on the explainations from our guide as he attended to some of the physically challenged people.

The highlight of the site is the High Temple. We were allowed to climb to the top. The climb is moderate and with time and concentration, can be done by most. There is a rope on the steepest part of the climb to help you manage the grade. Our guide told us the climb up was "physical" and the climb down was "mental". The view from the top was absolutely amazing. Be sure to bring your camera, you won't want to miss the photo opportunity! On the way down, I was taken back a little by the steepness of the decent, and decided to "scoot" down the face, step by step, on my butt! It was actually quite easy taken in such short pieces as this.

The boat ride back was just as enjoyable and we even stopped twice to view three large fresh water crocodiles sunning themselves on the bank of the river. I will say the boat ride back seemed much shorter than the ride out to the site. Perhaps just my perception. Once back on the bus, we had 90 minutes before our last tender and our guide told us we had plenty of time. He answered questions and even stopped the bus on the side of the road to buy some local fruits and snacks for everyone to taste. The plantain chips were actually quite good! We arrived back at the port at 4pm. Our last tender was scheduled for 4:15pm.

I feel that if we had just a little more time in Belize, or if those two idiots would have gotten off the boat as directed, we would have been able to spend more time on the river or at each of the sites, but overall I felt the experience was more than worth the $75 per person rate we paid for the excursion. I have never really enjoyed Belize much, but if I ever return, I will absolutely take another tour with this company.

Hope this review helps you make a decision!