“Almost virgin” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 68 Activities in Belize City
More attraction details
Owner description: Serving the Cruising community since 2003, Belize Cruise Excursions provides exclusive beach breaks, action tours, zip line tours, cave tubing tours, Maya Ruins and private tours. All excursions are in small groups, offering privacy and comfort for all arriving Cruise Ship Passengers arriving into the port of Belize.Belize Cruise Excursions, an Island Marketing (Cayman) Group.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
18 attraction reviews
“Almost virgin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Belize is an excellent place for adventure. Still keep a lot rain forrest, and mayan place like AltunHa. You can make nice shopping, and see many natural attractions. When you leave the Boat, take and excellent sail in small boat, the you really enjoy with the sea birds, and beautiful ocean. Is a place the is developing now, with narrow roads, but this is part of the adventure. I have not time to visit the second jaguar reserve , but I guess is will be a nice experience.
Finally I advised to hire local tour guide, the are very professional and give good price, certainly, the just offer transportation and guidance, but in the short time the you spend is not a big deal to worry a lot about the food. Any way you can try the native food, and excellence beer from Belize

Visited January 2013

Dallas, Texas
3 attraction reviews
“Lamanai Ruins with Belize Cruise Excursions, just need a little more time.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We recently booked a day tour with Belize Cruise Excursions while visiting Belize on the Carnival Magic. I was nervous about the time as we only were in port from 8am until 4pm that day. The short time combined with the tender process for cruise passengers can really make things tight. The trip begins with a 1 hour(ish) bus ride, and a 1 hour boat ride. In a port where you only have 7-8 hours and you spend at least 4 hours in transport to your destination, things can get a little close.

I will say that our experience was very good. The first thing our tour guide told us was that they guaranteed to return us to the port in time to get back on our boat. They told us to enjoy ourselves and let them worry about the time. They said they had never had a customer miss a ship and they didn't intend to let it happen today.

Once booked, I received detailed instructions on when and where to meet the guides and a recommendation that we arrange to take one of the first tenders off the boat for the sake of time. We were able to easily take the third or fourth tender without much effort at all and reached our guides by 8:40am. There were several other passengers already at the location waiting for us. if all of the booked customers would have arrived as instructed, we would have been able to depart the port much earlier than we did. As most of you know however, there is always at least one idiot that can't follow instructions and such was the case with our tour. Our guides waited until 9:30am before departing. As we were boarding the bus, our final two showed and boarded the bus with the rest of us.

Our guide's nick name was Easy and was very informative about the country of Belize. The bus was comfortable, although the roads in Belize are very poor. During the ride out to the site, we were given detailed information about Lamanai and what were going to be doing, including an entertaining description of our lunch. The bus ride actually took a little longer than expected, approxitmately 75 minutes.

Once off the bus, we boarded our boats and took off down the river. Our boat captain was a young man who had obviously piloted the river many times. The boats travel very fast and even tilt left and right as you go around turns, but I never felt unsafe or thought the captain was driving recklessly. I enjoyed the wind and water. Being able to speak Spanish, I heard our guide and captain discussing the fact that we had no time to stop on the river and to go directly to the Lamanai site. The boat ride was very comfortable and we arrived at the site in just under 1 hour on the river. Be careful with hats during the ride and I'd advise ladies to plan for a windy hour with your hair and clothing selection.

Once at the site, we had a wonderful homemade lunch of rice and beans, steamed chicken, cole slaw, potato salad, plantains, etc.... I was very impressed with the presentation and taste of the lunch.

After lunch we proceeded into the Lamanai site, which is wonderful. The temples and structures that have been uncovered are truly amazing and the size of the entire site is truly amazing. I will say that we had several older people in our group which slowed our guide down. The trails are clear, but are rocky and uneven and presented problems for some of these older people. Our guide understood that we didn't want to wait and didn't give us any problems for going ahead. We got to spend more time at each actual site on the tour, but did miss out on the explainations from our guide as he attended to some of the physically challenged people.

The highlight of the site is the High Temple. We were allowed to climb to the top. The climb is moderate and with time and concentration, can be done by most. There is a rope on the steepest part of the climb to help you manage the grade. Our guide told us the climb up was "physical" and the climb down was "mental". The view from the top was absolutely amazing. Be sure to bring your camera, you won't want to miss the photo opportunity! On the way down, I was taken back a little by the steepness of the decent, and decided to "scoot" down the face, step by step, on my butt! It was actually quite easy taken in such short pieces as this.

The boat ride back was just as enjoyable and we even stopped twice to view three large fresh water crocodiles sunning themselves on the bank of the river. I will say the boat ride back seemed much shorter than the ride out to the site. Perhaps just my perception. Once back on the bus, we had 90 minutes before our last tender and our guide told us we had plenty of time. He answered questions and even stopped the bus on the side of the road to buy some local fruits and snacks for everyone to taste. The plantain chips were actually quite good! We arrived back at the port at 4pm. Our last tender was scheduled for 4:15pm.

I feel that if we had just a little more time in Belize, or if those two idiots would have gotten off the boat as directed, we would have been able to spend more time on the river or at each of the sites, but overall I felt the experience was more than worth the $75 per person rate we paid for the excursion. I have never really enjoyed Belize much, but if I ever return, I will absolutely take another tour with this company.

Hope this review helps you make a decision!

Visited March 2013
“Island marketing snorkeling at gifts cay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

This excursion almost cost me my life. We booked several excursions with this company and this was a horrible experience. We arrived in the Caribbean at the same time as a northern front
No sun and windy. We were taken to a small island on a boat with 59 other people. The island is very primitive and will hold about 60. There were two other groups there so you now have 180 on a space for maybe 60. I love snorkeling and was so looking forward to this excursion. After about 15 minutes we were put back on the boat after a brief training and then dumped into the ocean and told to snorkel back to the beach. Waves were at least 5 feet and well over my head. I started having an asthma attack and no one was trained on how to help me. Just kept telling me to swim. Our guide finally realized something was wrong and pulled me by her life jacket until I could stand. I then had to walk on very rough rocks to get back to the beach. Most people were complaining about the weather conditions and we all said this excursion should have been cancelled. Rum punch was promised but never received
It was always being made and ready in a few. The line to get food was over an hour wait. Just not a pleasant experience.

Los Angeles, California
3 attraction reviews
“Western Caribbean Made EZ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

In December of 2012, we went on a Regent cruise titled: Mysteries of the Mayans. One of the excursions in this tour of the Western Caribbean, included a leisurely 25 mile speedboat ride up the "New" River and a hike of 1.25 miles to a Mayan temple. The site kown as Lamanai is remarkably intact despite the earlier technique of archaeologists in 1902 dynamiting sites in the hopes of discovering something. Lamanai means submerged crocodile and some did see one on the trip to the site. The temple resembles those found in Mexico, e.g., Chichen Itza. The hike to the temple is not difficult. It is flat and not taxing in terms of terrain or atmosphere but it was December. The temple itself is fairly easy to climb though truth be told, I did not go to the top. I wore Buzz Off type clothing but was not threatened by any type of insect. I'm not sure the Buzz Off clothes and pants were necessary.
The boat ride passes through mangroves and even Mennonite farmland. We passed a family sitting on the dock. Evidently, we were the day's entertainment. A guide accompanies the tour on the boat ride and offers commentary regarding the various flora and fauna.
Other stops included Key, West, Florida, George Town, Grand Cayman, Santo Tomas de Castilla, Guatemala, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras and Costa Maya, Mexico. Tourism in Mexico is under a strain and this is a safe albeit sanitized way of visiting these sights. e.g., Costa Maya is a newly developed enclave that includes everything a tourist needs for a day excursion, souvenir shops, swimming for families, bars and restaurants. All safely within the confines of huge walls protected by dogs and armed guards. Local guides were excellent and informative, though not all the sites were uniformly interesting.
Snorkeling and swimming expeditions were offered as part of the cruise. Regent seemed to make every effort to accommodate those interested in historical sites and those interested in garnering a winter tan before returning to the inclement snows of the midwest and eastern U.S.

Visited December 2012
Orlando, Florida
11 attraction reviews
“Belize City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were on Carnival Dream , fantastic trip and great service. In Belize we took the Horse and Buggy tour... It was so much fun and so real, greeting people on the streets etc. Chris our guide was a lot of fun , he told us words in creole , explained a lot about the country and was so humorous , I would love to go back to Belize again and explore more.. The people are friendly and I felt at ease all the time . Try some local food , rice and red beans cooked in coconut milk , wow.
Their spices are fantastic.. They eat the green Iguana ( just wasn't the season :-( it's called a bamboo chicken (slang) . They even have a China town . The local flea market was a lot of fun too . It's not as cheap as Asia , but you can find things that are different. The biggest surprises were Belize and Roatan, Honduras, on our trip...

Visited March 2013