“Horses and Howlers & Spiders, Oh my!” 4 of 5 stars

+501 225-3537
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: BACAB Eco Adventure Park, encompassing approx 400 acres is a nature lover's paradise. Only seven minutes from Belize's International Airport. This natural destination boasts over 200 species of tropical flowering plants including massive hardwood trees, palms, orchids and ferns and supports a diverse wildlife population that brings you as close to nature as you want to get. We offer a number of unique onsite tours available only with us. We also offer a number of adventurous tours outside of our Park, but always culminating by visiting and experiencing our premier family destination BACAB
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
State College, Pennsylvania
13 attraction reviews
“Horses and Howlers & Spiders, Oh my!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I didn't understand the set up of this whole place until looking at it in retrospect. It's a great concept and while it's called an Eco Park and that's what it's striving to be, in general, I just got the feel that it was a pretty cool place. Our excursion from the Carnival Dream took us by bus through the city with a guide describing Belize . . . interesting, not scintillating, but informative. When we got there, I felt like I was at some farm type thing in the middle of nowhere. We were given a tour of the facilities we'd be using. Since we were doing the ride . . . apparently others come for other activities, we were shown where to stow gear, the bathrooms, the dining and bar area as well as a beautiful sparkling pool. Then our horses were assigned. We were led one after the other through forest area. We saw birds and more exciting . . . howler monkeys high in the trees. It was great for a novice rider. Lunch was served by the pool and was quite good. Wish we would have had more time for the pool because it was beautiful. They are trying to develop this land as an eco touring spot. This is not a hotel . . . it is a daytrip type of place. The facility is nice and it will be interesting to see how they continue to develop it.

Visited November 2011

Strasburg, Pennsylvania
“Pretty Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My wife took the horse tour of the park; I opted for the kayak. I'm an experienced kayaker but anyone who can paddle can easily do this trek - all flat water and slow. The trip is an hour out and back. We heard but didn't see monkeys but saw many species of birds. My wife saw several monkeys.

The staff is very amiable and knowledgeable and really need the cruise ship tourists to keep their jobs. Tipping is recommended. The pool is very large and the kiddies really like it, as do most of the adults. The included lunch was superb - local fare and plenty of it. Well stocked bar for those so inclined.

I recommend this trip for those who want a laid-back jungle experience. If you are a birder, ask if "Apache" (real name Anthony) is there. I gave him a $40. tip to take me on a 45-minute walk around the area where I added about a dozen birds to my life list. He's very nice and an extremely knowledgeable bird tour leader.

Visited August 2012
Louisville, KY
26 attraction reviews
“A Good Day in the Jungle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We visited this park as a shore excursion off a Carnival cruise ship. The primary activity for us was the horseback ride through the jungle. All in all, we were glad we chose this activity, but it was more about the horse-backing than anything unique to the park. As others have said, we did not see the wildlife hoped for. My guess is that's probably the norm despite the marketing pitch. Of course, I would rather see a little more truth in the advertising. We did see some good flora, and the guides seemed knowledgeable enough.

I thought the entire staff, from the bar/restaurant workers to the horsemen, were all quite friendly and helpful. Additionally, the guides on our bus ride (Marz and Paula) were very good, especially Marz. She is very open and charming in describing life in Belize. She is a real asset to the company. The locker set-up is quite spacious and organized, and just better than some other parks I've seen.

It's about a 35 minute bus ride from where we tendered to shore to the park. While not a fan of such bus rides, the narration from Marz and the opportunity to see the city and the countryside made it enjoyable.

After the horseback ride, we let the kids play in the pool until time to leave. The pool is large, clean, and has a fast waterslide.

Note that we were warned multiple times about mosquitoes and the need for bug spray. Whether our bug spray was super effective, or we just got lucky, we did not have any problems with mosquitoes or any other bugs.

This was a good day for us, and I recommend this activity to others, as long as they are interested based on the realities of seeing fairly little native wildlife.

Visited June 2012
Alberta, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Expected a More Thrilling Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We chose kayaking at the Eco Park as one of our cruise excursions. The tour brochure said: ‘experience the thrill of kayaking through pristine jungle’. It had the following features that drew us to it:

- Watch for the many colourful freshwater tropical fish in the clear, shallow waters
- Keep an eye out for turtles and juvenile crocodiles sunning themselves on the surface
- Search overhead where parrots, Boat Billed Herons, Coatis and Howler Monkeys share the canopy

Unfortunately, this was not our experience at all. We did not see any wildlife and the kayaking was down a narrow, very shallow river. Not very exciting at all – we got to the end and turned back. Lunch followed kayaking and the food was very good. I have to say a special thank you to our waitress for introducing us to Monkey La La. If you are in Belize, you have to try this drink….it is fantastic! After lunch, we had time to sit around the pool. If I could go back and redo a day in Belize, I would choose to explore the city or see the beach.

Visited March 2012
wirral
“well worth supporting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

We were in belize just for the day when passing through on a cruise and booked this excursion to see a bit of belizian wildlife. The park had a brilliant quite pool that was great for both adults and children (my little ones loved it) and the staff were some of the friendliest i've met.
The highlight of our day was definately our tour guide Lordes, who was so full of local information and so helpful she made the day a real pleasure. she even stopped by some local trees to get us some cashews and plums to try.
Our trip included lunch with was local cuisine of rice and beans and chicken and salad, and i've never seen my children eat soooo much. it was delicious.
the only down side is that we thought we would get to see some of the wild life, or at least a talk on the local species (we were told that panthers and tapirs lived in the park) but there was nothing like that, only the butterfly house, which is very lovingly maintained and worth a look.

Visited May 2012