“Best Resort in Belize for Fishing and Diving” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Turneffe Flats

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Turneffe Island
Turneffe Flats
You added Turneffe Flats to your Saves list
Turneffe Atoll, Turneffe Island, Belize   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Turneffe Island
Redding, California
“Best Resort in Belize for Fishing and Diving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

My husband and I just returned from Turneffe Flats. Everything about the place was great. Even though the wind was blowing we still saw fish. We went to flyfish for Permit, Bonefish and Tarpon. All the staff was so friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and kept that way. The food was very good and they were very accommodating (as I hate onions and they always made sure My food didn't have any). Pops was our guide and he worked really hard trying to get a Permit landed for my husband as that is on his bucket list. I stayed back one day and enjoyed the pool and went snorkeling. Had a Dolphin swim right up to me and another lady...Abel was the greatest snorkel guide.I'm looking forward to returning next year if we can.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Rehoboth Beach, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I visited Turneffe Atoll and stayed at Turneffe Flats last week for an ECO adventure vacation for the first time. It was an extraordinary experience. The Atoll itself is an incredible act of nature! Though I was there to experience an ECO adventure, I was also introduced to the many fishing and diving experiences they offer and came away with even more of an adventure than I had anticipated.

The cabanas are very nicely appointed in a comfortable atmosphere overlooking the reef outside their door with a porch for relaxing and A/C when needed. Just the views alone were magnificent, but the beauty of the natural surroundings was incredible. The ECO tour included snorkeling with Abel as our guide, along with exploring other islands in the atoll and at TFlats itself. Abel was so knowledgeable about his native land and his love for it came through with such great enthusiasm, it made the adventure all that more exciting. From dolphins swimming in front of our boat to the stingrays and massive amount of anticipated coral and marine life to upside down jellyfish and crocodiles, Abel shared all of his knowledge with a bubbling personality and patience that made it feel like home to us as well.

We all of the other guests who shared their fishing stories each evening at cocktail hour, dinner and breakfast. The food was so very well prepared, unique and all done in a pleasant at home kind of way.

The hospitality provided to us was so wonderful that upon our departure it felt like everyone we met, from the other guests to the staff were family and certainly friends we had known for a long time. The staff came out to the pier to see us off for our journeys home and even came aboard the boat just before our departure and greeted everyone individually to thank them for visiting. It capped the end of a beautiful tour with warmth that I have never experienced on any vacation anywhere in the world.

Thank you to everyone at TFlats for making an ECO tour a great adventure of nature and hospitality!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Los Gatos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

We have picked Turneffe Flats because it offered more dives a week than other resorts near by. It also seemed less pretentious and was slightly less expensive. During boat ride to the island I started panicking , as other vacationers referred to it as "fishing village", and I was not willing to sleep in the rustic cabin. Boy, I was so wrong! Not only we had first class diving, but food, lodging, service - whole experience was so fantastic that we are already planning next year trip.
Diving
We were quite lucky as that week only two of us were diving, so we got boat, captain, and dive master only for ourselves. Our dive master was Denroy, and he was phenomenal. Orientation, first dive and all consecutive dives were stressing safety and fun but not work. Denroy always explained what to expect during dive, dive profile, what kind of animals, corals we would see. During dive, he did point to many wonderful creatures we would have missed otherwise and wrote their names on the board. He was very knowledgeable about fauna and flora, taught us how to recognize different turtles and shared with us many interesting things about diving. It was like diving with PHD in marine biology. My husband was taking pictures and Denroy was helping him to get the best shots. We saw many turtles, beautiful rays, huge lobsters, crabs, corrals and even frog fish.
While on the boat we did not have to do anything - Denroy even sprayed our masks before each dive with anti fogger. I was never so spoiled in my life. Each morning our equipment was ready on boat waiting for us, and by the end of the day , we did leave everything on the boat including our wetsuits. It all magically appeared cleaned next day :). Last day Denroy an Captain cleaned and dried our equipment and even brought it to our room!
Food and service.
Food and service were great as well. I have mentioned before arrival that I had diet restrictions.
Every day chef prepared separate food for me, even separate appetizers. Food was healthy and tasty, like good home cooked food. The only "complain" :) I have is that it was so good that I gained 2 pounds as I did not have strong will to skip anything from appetizer to desert. Drinks and wine were very good and moderately priced. Six dollars martini prepared by Abel wins with any bar in California.
The service was top class. All three servers (Marsha, Blanca, I apologize - forgot the third name), were attentive and brought new course, as soon as we were done with previous course. They were cruising between the tables making sure all guests had drinks, water, whatever they needed.
After night dive they were waiting for us with hot food, even though everybody else was done with the dinner.
Lodging
We stayed in beachfront cabana. Rooms were simple, but very comfortable. Bath had big modern shower and two sinks. Outside - there were lounge chairs, and there were more chairs on the beach.
We did not try infinity pool, it looked beautiful.
Since resort is quite small, we got to meet all other vacationers. It felt like staying with good friends. Owners, and manager remembered everybody's name and always greeted us with smile, asking how our day was. The other nice thing was the honor system. Nobody had to carry cash - if I needed anything from small store or the bar, I would just pick it up and write my room number.
Overall - great diving, food, service - cannot wait till next year.

Room Tip: Beach front cabanas have wonderful view and great privacy
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Just returned from a week's fishing and am in the midst of getting a group to go back next year.
The food is well prepared and plentiful. The main lodge encourages guest interaction. The rooms are pretty basic but very clean and comfortable - can't imagine needing any thing else in them.
The staff is really attuned to guest comfort and strive to make everything as easy as possible.
The fishing is world class with excellent flat's skiffs operated by very knowledgeable guides.
The atoll provides great opportunities to view wildlife; saw crocs and manatees while out fishing.
Hesitated to post this as I would hate to see it become too popular but...

Room Tip: The beachfront cabanas are on the water closest to the lodge - not a big deal but if there isn't...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Hardin, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

My visit to Turneffe Flats was a dream come true. I wanted to try saltwater fly fishing for the first time and also do some scuba diving, which I had done before. I was able to do both, diving most mornings, fishing most afternoons, and electing to do a few days of just diving or just fishing. The fishing skiff met the scuba boat out on the water around noon, and I stepped from the undersea world into the world of hunting bonefish on the flats. My days were thus full and invigorating, and at night I slept like a baby.
The reefs were magical, the dive masters friendly and highly competent. The fishing was a blast. I was new to saltwater fly fishing and thus had to make my way up the learning curve. My guide was patient and encouraging. He definitely led me to the fish and taught me how to catch them. By the end of the week I was able to do so on my own. The environs of the lodge itself were absolutely idyllic. I was able to cast to bonefish right in front of my cabana, which was no more than 25 feet from the water. The food was great, the staff friendly, and the whole place felt like home in no time. I very much hope to return to Turneffe Flats in the future.

Room Tip: Any of the cabanas. They probably go first. I did not see the other accommodations, but I don't...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Stonington, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and I spent 3 days at Turneffe Flats. We enjoyed everything about it. The owners, Craig and Karen, are welcoming and helpful. The staff is excellent. The food is quite good, and excellent if you take into account the location of the resort so far offshore. The accommodations are basic, but comfortable and with nice details such as newly remodeled bathrooms with local hardwood countertops and local hardwood dresser/desks in the room. We had no issue with bugs, either on the island or in the room, the former due largely due to the reasonably strong winds and the latter due to the fact we did largely keep our door shut as we know there are sand flies throughout the Caribbean. The diving was also good. The staff, both the dive manager/instructor Anna Marie and our divemaster John, have been with TF several years and are excellent. They both know a great deal about the reef and go out of their way to locate small creatures to view. On one dive, John found a sea horse, which I've never seen on 50 or so dives, other than Bonaire. The wind was great for keeping bugs away but did mean that we had to dive on the west side of the island, which is great but not as well known as the east side dive sites. Apparently, May and summer months are more conducive to east side diving so something to consider when planning. There are only two points to note which were not negative for us but something to consider when choosing this lodge. First, there is nothing to do after 8 pm or so as there is nothing but the lodge on this island. This, again, was fine with us, but worthy to note for others to consider. Second, happy hour and meals are a group setting in which everyone discusses their day so if you don't like group settings, another point to consider. We had a great time and hope to return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at Turneffe Flats for four nights. I choose to fly fish and had a wonderful experience catching my first bonefish. My wife enjoyed Turnefee's Atoll Adventure where she snorkeled and learned to appreciate the wonderful marine life surrounding Turmeffe Atoll. We really enjoyed the cocktail hour before dinner where everyone talked about their days activities. The food and accomidations are top notch. Craig and Karen and their staff were always helpful. So, if you are looking to fish for bonefish, permit and tarpon or snorkel or scuba you will certainly enjoy Turneffe Flats.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Turneffe Flats? Share your experiences!