We stayed at Jim and Kendra's "Off the Wall" resort on Long Caye in May 2008 for our honeymoon and had a great time!
After an initial search for different resorts in the area, we finally settled on "Off the Wall". We decided to stay away from "Glover's Atoll Resort" (on Northeast Caye) after reading a few reviews (Jim and Kendra later shared stories about this neighbouring island that seemed to be consistent with the reviews).
The island is a little remote (~ 1 hr somewhat choppy boat ride). But the distance is totally worth it when you arrive at the island. Paradise - sandy beach, coconut trees, and warm, crystal clear turquoise water. All just for us.
The facilities there are basic but very clean, and well kept. The cabins are private and secluded from each other. The cabins include: a bed with mosquito net, windows with shutters (no screens), lots of books, a solar powered lamp, candles, and a porch where we spent a lot of time reading and hanging out. The view out the front porch is phenomenal - you have your own little private beach in front of the ocean. We considered it our own little ocean-front property.
The shared composting toilets are clean. There are three showers supplied by rainwater or well water (it hadn't rained there in a while so it was brackish well water for us). Kendra's also done a lot to personalize the resort with crafty lanterns, and colourful tile mosaics.
You can pretty much do what you want for the week. Each morning you plan out your day with Jim/Kendra (whether you want to dive, if you want to
go snorkeling, kayaking, or fishing). Most of the time we just winged it and sometimes changed our minds.
The dive centre is stocked with well-kept equipment. Their instructors and dive masters are careful and a lot of fun too (we had Lucky and Ralph - both great guys). In fact, all of the staff there is super friendly and very laid back. And the diving there is superb! All dive sites were within a 10 minute boat ride. We saw turtles, nurse sharks, lobsters, octopus, and even flying fish and dolphins on our boat rides.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served at regular intervals (they blow a conch horn to notify the guests) and the food is awesome. It's all served family (buffet) style so you can eat as little or as much as you want. Annette was our cook that week and she served a variety of meals and desserts too. They kept us very well fed for the entire trip.
Last but not least, Kendra and Jim are the best! Kendra is super nice and sweet. Jim is a little quirky in a fun way. They make a great pair to hang out with. The resort is essentially their home which they open up to host guests. They are so warm and welcoming and take very good care of you. You will feel much at home when you stay with them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Off The Wall Dive Center is situated on a private island in the turquoise waters of Glover's Atoll. We are a small Eco-friendly, PADI 5 star Resort and offer Scuba Courses, Whale Shark trips and the best diving, snorkeling and fly-fishing in Belize, as well as kayaking and stand up paddling. Or, just come to relax and enjoy our white, sandy beaches and idealistic setting for getting away from it all. Our packages include Saturday boat transportation to and from our island, 7 nights accommodations in charming, ocean front cabanas, and all your meals. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Off The Wall Dive Center And Resort
- Off The Wall Dive Hotel Glovers Reef Atoll
- Off The Wall Dive Center & Resort Belize/Glovers Reef Atoll